Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        quake 3 gtkradiant (1.2.9) curve texture bug?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: quake 3 gtkradiant (1.2.9) curve texture bug?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-19-2008 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

done this one!!
now another question:

allright, i solved my problem, now i wanted to learn some patch meshing, i did, but for some reason if i use patch meshing for a floor/ceiling, it doesn't 'catch' light and is totally black. please help me :)

well, i hate curves but need to use, ANOTHER question: :D

if i make an inverted endcap the textures of the front and back are just black, if i go to patch properties and click natural, the texture is very weird.. another way to solve my problem?

Last edited by Jusser on 11-19-2008 07:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-19-2008 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try strg+shift+n several times having selected the texture. If that doesn't help, press (still having selected the texture) shift+s so you'll get access to the patch inspector and there start clicking on "natural" or "fit" until you like the result. Or select your texture (I believe that should still work in 1.2.9) and then click with your mouse wheel on the texture left or right of it, it should align that way.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-19-2008 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

monaster wrote:
Try strg+shift+n several times having selected the texture. If that doesn't help, press (still having selected the texture) shift+s so you'll get access to the patch inspector and there start clicking on "natural" or "fit" until you like the result. Or select your texture (I believe that should still work in 1.2.9) and then click with your mouse wheel on the texture left or right of it, it should align that way.

allright thanks, i think this was for my first problem, and yes, i did solved that problem by shift+s, and then natural.

but didn't figure out the other 2 problems.. :tear:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-19-2008 08:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can try compiling with -patchshadows, though when objects show up as being totally black it could be a problem with the texture UV coordinates as well.

If you really want to get precise on texture projection on patches, make a flat patchmesh, texture it and manipulate the texture, then modify its shape until you have an end cap. In most cases it's better to create two bevels rather than a single endcap, which sometimes generates sparklies along the apex of the arch.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-19-2008 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
You can try compiling with -patchshadows, though when objects show up as being totally black it could be a problem with the texture UV coordinates as well.

If you really want to get precise on texture projection on patches, make a flat patchmesh, texture it and manipulate the texture, then modify its shape until you have an end cap. In most cases it's better to create two bevels rather than a single endcap, which sometimes generates sparklies along the apex of the arch.

hmm, got some problems with that (by the way, this will look something stupid): i don't have a BSP -patchshadows if you meant the BSP compiling.. i don't really know what you mean by the UV coordinates, and how to fix it? what do you mean by manipulating the texture? and modifying a flat patchmesh till it's an end cap is far too hard, in my thought..
2 bevels didn't work as well

PS: sorry for the questions :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-19-2008 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seeing as how you're a beginner, I highly suggest you try a few tutorials so you can better understand the tools and terminology. Most of these are Doom3 related, but they are almost exactly the same, except for the patch subdivision bit:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4556
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4572
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4808
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4868
http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorials/p ... rves_1.htm

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-19-2008 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm okey, i've read all of them, and understand them very well, but doesn't really explain ANY of my recent problems,
if you just told me the answer you saved really much time..
i'm still with the problems:

black (inverted)endcap and black patch mesh.

so some1 please help me, i need someone with a real answer and proper explanation

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-19-2008 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-patchshadows is a light stage switch. You'll have to add it to your compile options manually, Radiant's built in compile options are pretty basic. Either use a batch file or try something like Q3Map2Toolz.

Your patch is probably black because the direction of texture projection (UV coordinates) are wrong. But since I have no idea what you did to make it this way, it's only a guess at what may be the problem.

The links I posted above answers your question about getting the textures to line up properly on an end cap. Read those links again, then read my first post again and it should make sense.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-19-2008 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks, that's a proper explanation, and yes i know what you mean by your first post it really does make sense, it's only that it takes a while till you finally have a endcap for that.. it isn't really a big problem, i think i just try something till it's done

and what happened to the patch mesh? i just made it go up and it wasn't black any more :smirk:

thank you obsidian!

PS: the first link was the link i learned the basics of patch meshing in the first time :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.