Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Q3map2-light/shadows error with -meta cause black shadows

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3map2-light/shadows error with -meta cause black shadows

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, I got a nasty problem with lightning that causes black shadows on floors surfaces and walls on some places, some of the textures are totally black even when lighted, some have weird shadows [watch screenshots]

[screenshot #1] [screenshot #2]
[screenshot #3] [screenshot #4]

This happening only when compiling with -meta or without -vis

But unfortunelly I need to use both option, -vis needs to be ofc, without it you got fps losses cuz whole map is draw at once and without -meta I get error about some verts limits excedded 2800 > 1000 smth like that but only when I try to look on complex ASE model, that needs to be like that I cant change it, cuz it would look horrible with less subdivides.

I hope someone would know what is the problem, btw when I am manipulating with some of the brushes on the map those shadows are changing, so i think some of the brushes can affect that, i am using gtk radiant 1.1.1 with grid 0.025 and newest compilator v2.5.17 base - FS_20g

Last edited by camel on 12-07-2009 10:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like some massive screwup with the lightmap page indexing. Impossible to tell the reason for the problem from the screenshots alone.

Grid size 0.025? Please tell me that's a typo because that will certainly cause some funkyness.

Also, the _fs versions of Q3Map2 are a branch of the official, it probably hasn't been through as much testing. You may want to try it with 2.5.16 and see if that helps things.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sry, grid 0.25

Yea Also tried with older compilator, results were the same.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 05:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's still bad. You should be building on as large of a grid scale as possible. Like at least 8 for most details. Walls should be more like 32-64 units thick.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-07-2009 10:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, they are not that thin, I mean that I am using grid 0.25, but walls, floors etc are bold enough.

anyway mt problem still occurs but i was able to cover black surfaces with other brushes, so they looks better, but its a temporary fix for that, still waiting for someone to help with that, but I doubt that anyone had same or simmilar problem like me.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-07-2009 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Covering up the brushes isn't a great idea. I think I would delete them and remake them.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-07-2009 11:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
Covering up the brushes isn't a great idea. I think I would delete them and remake them.

I already remade them, but error still occurs, its something else on the map that cause that thing, I think nobody cant help me, I would need to give someone my map source to check it out, but that is impossible :P

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-08-2009 02:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

camel wrote:
lol, they are not that thin, I mean that I am using grid 0.25, but walls, floors etc are bold enough

That is the craziest thing Ive ever heard in all my years of Q3 mapping, you are heading for a disaster if you are creating brushes and patches on a 0.25 grid. If you are having shadow problems then func_group all the surrounding architecture together and add a new key/value pair to the group you have just created.

Key = '_lightmapscale'
Value = '0.5'

Start with a high value like 0.5 and go down towards 0.125, if you want the shadows to be really crisp. Low values will increase your compile times like crazy (especially if you use bounce light) so be careful. I seriously would not recommend values less than 0.125 for large parts of your map, it will cause problems with load times, lightmap and BSP size.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-08-2009 05:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TBH I think you are using the wrong compiler and the wrong editor and the wrong grid size.
GTK 1.5 prevents bad brushes, for what ever other problems it may or may not have. I would certainly use 'brush clean up' if nothing else.
I hope you haven't been CSG subtracting too, that combined with your chosen grid size is gonna make such a mess. I know this is for the NG comp, but we can still help out.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-08-2009 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
If you are having shadow problems then func_group all the surrounding architecture together and add a new key/value pair to the group you have just created.

I think he should focus on fixing his brushes and building techniques before he starts with more advanced stuff like lightmap scales. His problems are almost certainly construction related.

I take it the rules of the contest means you can't share your map with others. Can you build a similar section of brushwork into another test map with the same problem and share that instead? Might help us gleam a little light into the problem.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 02:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
TBH I think you are using the wrong compiler and the wrong editor and the wrong grid size.

There's nothing wrong with that compiler. It's actually pretty good.

obsidian wrote:
I think he should focus on fixing his brushes and building techniques before he starts with more advanced stuff like lightmap scales. His problems are almost certainly construction related.

Agreed. Try deleting the parts around the bugged area and rebuild them again with new brushes. Use bobtoolz brush cleanup filter on the whole map too.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.