Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Getting one`s map on QL

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Getting one`s map on QL

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have some questions regarding getting my map on Quake Live. It is called Training Day, and right now it is in beta. When I have the final version released I wish to contact SyncError in some way so that I can have him examine it and put it on QL.

My questions:

- Is there a strict minimum number of maps that you have to have posted online before id considers your map? I believe that there is no minimum, as Deep Inside, which was made by Teddy, was his first map ever, not very pretty, but it still got on QL. Training Day is my second map.

- What time is SyncError on IRC? What other means besides IRC can I contact him?

- Are you required to post editor or step-by-step screenshots? I really hope this isn`t true, because if it is, all good work = down the drain.

- If your map uses copyrighted textures from other people, which mine does, am I required to replace the textures myself, or can id software do it for me?

I know some of you have scored a spot in the QL map rotation, so I was wondering if you could offer some friendly advice on what I can do to have my map enter QL. Thanks in advance.

(And don`t post something like "lol you`ll never get your map on QL" please. People who have fun attempting to crush other`s dreams deserve to be shot.)

Last edited by EmeraldTiger on 01-02-2011 03:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was talking to phantazm11 about one of his possible future submissions, and he said that he would have to retexture the entire map before they would consider adding it to the game. Phantazm11 also got his first map (phantq3dm1 or "Battleforged") accepted into Quake Live, so I doubt there is a requirement regarding the number of previous maps.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So he had to do it himself, not id? That`s okay then. I`m sure I`ll find some kind of workaround.

I also saved an image of my map in the first beta in the editing stages, just to provide some evidence that it was made by me.

Can I use QL stock textures to retexture the map? Since that is essentially id`s work there shouldn`t be any legal trouble. Swelt had to do the same for Solid / Phrantic, etc.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's what Sync told me back in August

<Despair> basically i was just wondering what exactly is *required* in order to be a candidate for a community addition
<SyncError|work> The map needs to be finished. We need to see the map. We need to like the map enough to pay for it
<SyncError|work> The textures cannot be custom unless you made to them
<SyncError|work> and you'll have to sign a contract that says that you are the owner of the content you are selling us
<SyncError|work> That's really about it.
<SyncError|work> It needs to have spots for ads, we'll turn them into real ads later.

AFAIK, You can use QL textures, but you cannot redistribute them. So should your map not get into QL, those textures would need to be replaced before you could release the map for Q3.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Despair wrote:
AFAIK, You can use QL textures, but you cannot redistribute them. So should your map not get into QL, those textures would need to be replaced before you could release the map for Q3.

That sounds a bit weird: I thought most (if not all) the textures of Q3 are in QL as well.

If you "recode" a Q3 map to QL, it shows no missing textures. In the pk3's of the Q3 maps, only the custom textures are zipped into it, all the others have to be the same.

No need to replace the default Q3 textures when you recode a map to QL.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Many Q3 textures were carried over to QL, yes, but many were also added or altered. It's those ones that you can't redistribute. If you really want to get technical, you actually can't redistribute ANY textures from QL, but since many already have an identical Q3 counterpart, it's kind of a loophole.

The Q3 textures aren't the ones of concern, it's the QL exclusive ones you have to be careful with.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.