Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Broken mods (free or not) are not welcome.

Post new topicThis topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Broken mods (free or not) are not welcome.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, Obsidian selectively copied posts from a thread, starts a new thread called "whah whah", posts his last word, then locks it? lulz. Real mature, Obsidian. How old are you?

Obsidian wrote:
Yeah, what's up with this Eraser guy, programming a mod on his own spare time and letting other people play with it for FREE. Like, he's not even charging people for his work... what's up with that? Why can't we all be like deqer and not do anything beneficial to the community but complain. :dork:

It would seem quite obvious, but apparently it isn't. So, I'll explain it to you:

Whether it's free or not, is irrelevant if it doesn't work. Why use something that doesn't work, whether it's free or not doesn't matter.

Nothing wrong with my map. Eraser's claim of invisible doors having nobots=1 on it breaks the mod in v1.2, yet works fine in older versions of the mod. lulz. Map works "sometimes" for "some people" in v1.2. What does all that shit tell you? derp?

Obsidian wrote:
Oh look, irony's a bitch.

So, as you can see, no irony to see here.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IC Deeqs diaper needs changed!

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Give it a rest, you obsessive psycho cunt :olo:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last I checked, Entity Plus has no warranty or official support. It's strictly use-as-is. The source is there. If you want to fix it yourself, go ahead. Or you can write your own mod from scratch. No one forced you to use Entity Plus.

The idea behind how open source projects work is this:
  • If you find what you think is a bug, you can send in a bug report and hope that somebody fixes it. If it doesn't get fixed... well, not much you can do, just leave it. If it really bothers you, don't use it.
  • Clone the source, fix the bug yourself, submit the bug fix back to the trunk.

No part of the above involves crying about anything.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 09:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok I'll bite.
The reason it did work before but not now is because the most recent version of the mod actually introduces those keys for door entities. That causes your doors to assume behavior you originally did not intent for them. I tried to implement a fix specifically for your map but considering your feedback (or rather "abusive rant") I can only assume it does not always work.

That is quite unfortunate, as I don't have a QA department that can test the mod on a wide range of setups. Therefore I have to rely on feedback from the community and so far there has been very little of it (which is understandable)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hereby vote in favor for a forum mod to edit all of deqer's posts, peenyah-style :up:

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good thread. Would read again.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deqer wrote:
How old are you?

Funny, I was about to ask the same of you. :eek:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
deqer wrote:
How old are you?

Funny, I was about to ask the same of you. :eek:

Old enough to not abuse my moderator privileges.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 10:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So instead of actually try and refute my and obsidian's arguments with your own, you decide to respond to someone's remarks about your age with statements about abusing moderator priviliges. What is the goal of this thread then, sunshine? Looks to me it's nothing more than a spoiled brat whining about something he didn't do jack shit for.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 03:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 04:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good writeup on the topic.
I partially disagree with the author on one thing though. He says that if a bug is already reported in a (public) bug report system, there's probably no use to report it again if you have no new information. However, it could bump up the importance of having the bug fixed if the programmer can have an indication of how many people suffer from the bug. A relatively minor functional bug that affects hundreds of people may be more important to fix than a bug causing a full application crash that only affects one user.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 06:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I half agree, half disagree. I work on a fairly high profile project (https://github.com/joyent/node/issues - 430 unresolved bug reports and counting!). It's great when someone reports additional info ("hey, when I pass -fno-strict-aliasing to gcc the segfault goes away") but "me too" posts only piss me off. My inbox is full enough as it is.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah true. Bug tracking systems should allow users to mark a bug with a "me too" option so that the developer can see a "me too" count that informs him of how many people are experiencing the bug.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, and "node doesn't do <this very obscure thing only the reporter cares about and no one else>, therefore node sucks. whine whine" and variations thereof only makes me want to hurt the bug reporter.

"node needs to support <nonsensical feature x> if it wants to see adoption in the enterprise" never fails to piss me off either.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 06:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Yeah true. Bug tracking systems should allow users to mark a bug with a "me too" option so that the developer can see a "me too" count that informs him of how many people are experiencing the bug.

Yes. That's something GitHub's bug tracker sorely needs. Maybe just a counter of the number of people following that bug.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its good to see at least something constructive came from this thread. mods might have to be a bit quicker on the locking and/or deleting of these kinda threads. not a good look for an otherwise brilliant online resource.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey look, real discussion about bug squashing from programmers has opened up, and this deqer guy is nowhere to be seen. WTF mate?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-23-2012 08:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Waahhhhh. Waaaaahhh. deqer hurt my feelings, so i'm going to vote 0/10 on his mapz!"

http://www.kryps.com/tmp/lvlworld-voting.png

god, you guys are so lame. lulz

at least im glad to see my decision to give up was a good decision. you guys certainly have proved that. : )

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 03-24-2012 01:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmmm, retardville in post just before this one. derr!!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.