Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Patch stitching...?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Patch stitching...?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 05:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Having a bit of an issue with patches atm in OverDose (Which is based on Q3/D3 map format).

Its pretty basic but I never really knew how to get around it.

Obviously when you make a patch larger, it increases the slices in the patch so that it becomes smoother, but theres that time when you need to match patch A up to patch B, and... This happens.

Whats the best way to get around this so I'm not left with a huge gap?

Cheers lads.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What happens when you compile? They usually still weld together even if the editor doesn't show it. Otherwise, why not just make it using a single 3x9 patch?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When they compile, it still looks the same, but that may be OverDose using the max LOD for everything, so I'll have to check with Nico later.

Even if I did use a single patch (which wont work because of the texture but I'm sure I could get around it) the cap wouldn't fit still?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Compile with something like:
bsp -meta -patchmeta -subdivisions 6
??

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Often ran into this problem when getting overenthusiastic with patches.
Maybe donkey's compile option works, never tried that.

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree with obsidian's solution: make it into a single patch with a specific custom texture.

I don't understand what you mean by "the cap wouldn't fit still".
In your gif the cap isn't the problem; it's the non-corresponding subdivisions on the bent patches.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 07:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

odd... seems that now, its fixed... yet it never did this before. Think it had somethin to do with how I made it, but it stitched it together one compile:

It never did that last time I looked ingame... Really odd...

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

n1 :up:
But no different compile parameters?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope, did nothing different... Thats what has me puzzled.

In fact, I was JUST about to send this off to Nicolas to see if he had any suggestions because ODMap doesn't seem to have that option, so I made a test map and... It worked? And so did the original (Which defo never before because I could see right through the gaps).

REALLY odd but I'm not gonna complain.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, if it works it works, and that's cool.
I just have a strong dislike for random quirkiness in tech. Obviously something's off. Don't want to be pessimistic, but maybe in your next compile it's fucked again.
Shit should be consistent.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had this problem when creating some Egyptian style columns. I think I fixed it by setting func_group across the relevant patches, but it was a while ago now so I can't be sure.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-29-2012 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
Compile with something like:
bsp -meta -patchmeta -subdivisions 6
??

Thanks dONKEY :)
I was having the same issue as o'dium, on two of my maps.
Your suggestion seems to have sorted the problem.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.