Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-13-2008 09:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ImageImage

Progressive. Lots of time wasted watching tv.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-22-2008 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really happy with the wood texturing on the left building, I think the rest is pretty good though.

And my big ass blue radiant ;)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-23-2008 01:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice map but... Staind...?

Really...? :puke:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 06-23-2008 01:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ground cobbles has way to much shadows in it... looks strange. What game is it, cod4?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-23-2008 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dunno Hipshot, i rather like them like that. I had them at a lower contrast initially and I didnt think it looked as good. The game is Urban Terror btw.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 06-23-2008 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Instead of desaturation, maybe a better idea would be to blend some dirt or just replace it with some other texture... but I guess it looks ok. It's just so strange with shadows so defined in that area, the shadow sharpness looks like the texture photo source was taken on a sunny day...

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-24-2008 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just goofing with some lighting after screwing around with brushes for the last few days.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-25-2008 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have some damn Quake 2 style shots from OverDose with loads of new work to show, but the damn FTP has been down for a week with no explanation :(

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-25-2008 03:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well damn.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-25-2008 04:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn damn...

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Testing new sky and made a rock wall

-fastest compile

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks like you have sparklies in that second screenshot. You may have lots of T-juncs that you need to fix.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
It looks like you have sparklies in that second screenshot. You may have lots of T-juncs that you need to fix.

Yeah, I rotated the collection of brushes that make the rockwall on a 45 degree angle and it messes it up. I experimented by creating the rockwall with a terrian generator (based on a height map) then importing it in and flipping it on it's side. There's so many T-Juncs when I rotate the bloody thing that I'm probably going to have to do it the old fashioned way brush by brush. Blegh.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My latest titled "Whats Paradigm"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My first day in Zbrush.. this program is just crazy.
688 tris, render in modo with normal and occlusion map baked from from a Zbrush model.

and no it's not a stone dildo.

Last edited by AEon on 01-18-2010 02:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ed that image.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks amazing.
I just wonder to what extent z-brush models lend themselves to being exported and used in maps, and at what quality.
(Not that that is some definitive criterium for modeling)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks man.

I not an expert but from what I know Zbrush is mostly used to sculpt hi poly details for characters and props and then they get baked down onto a low poly mesh. The same way I done in the picture above.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Currently, z-brush sculpted models tend to have too many polys to be used directly in-game so yes, they are baking the vectors into the normal map to be virtualized.

You might see interesting things in the future given how Carmack has been talking about voxels.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see.
So, for now, could z-brush be seen as a 3D normal map texture modeler, if you'd have game purposes in mind?
If so, that sure beats the photoshop plugin I've been messing around with, working from 2D photo references.
(sorry if I seem to be talking out of my ass...I really have to read up on this stuff)

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@WHAT: that looks very foxy. Is there an alpha to play-test?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes indeed. It's for Warsow.

http://what.iqclan.com/map_whatsparadigmb3.pk3

http://www.warsow.net

Good news too, I'm now a mapper on the development team. Woot woot :D

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 01:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
I see.
So, for now, could z-brush be seen as a 3D normal map texture modeler, if you'd have game purposes in mind?
If so, that sure beats the photoshop plugin I've been messing around with, working from 2D photo references.
(sorry if I seem to be talking out of my ass...I really have to read up on this stuff)

Photoshop plugin?

jeez man, get Crazy Bump!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Plan B wrote:
I see.

Photoshop plugin?

jeez man, get Crazy Bump!

Yes, Crazy Bump is indeed crazy, but unfortunately not free. But if you're serious about game design, it's an essential tool for the old toolbox.

The Photoshop plugin is basically a heightmap to normalmap converter, so it doesn't translate all the vectors as accurately as a real normalmap generated from polygons.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 09:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

You might see interesting things in the future given how Carmack has been talking about voxels.

That's interesting that you mention that obsidian.

I've been looking in to voxels myself and have been wondering why we haven't been seeing more useage out of them. They're a crazy powerful thing.

It's neat to see that there's some kind of hint towards what Carmack may be working on and that it might be voxel-based.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 10:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, he mentioned at one of his keynotes at QuakeCon (I think) how he had virtualized textures by streaming them into the renderer using Megatextures, and how his current work is trying to do the same thing of virtualizing polygons. Then he talks about voxels at another conference (can't remember which one) but anyway, that's what he's probably working on. It'll likely be slated for Id Tech 6 if anything, which is a couple of generations from now.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-27-2008 04:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Yes, Crazy Bump is indeed crazy, but unfortunately not free. But if you're serious about game design, it's an essential tool for the old toolbox.

The Photoshop plugin is basically a heightmap to normalmap converter, so it doesn't translate all the vectors as accurately as a real normalmap generated from polygons.

Any artist worth his salt will tell you that to get best results you use BOTH a high polygon model and touch ups/finer detail later on ;)

But it does indeed suck hes charging for it, its not cheap either. Its insane the prices he charges, what a rip off for what it is.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-27-2008 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never said not to do touch ups, just that the nVidia Photoshop plugin is really sub-par.

He's not allowed to make money on a piece of software that he spent months to write? He has always stated that CrazyBump will be a commercial software once beta testing is complete, so it's not like he was misleading everyone either.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-27-2008 07:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why the pissy attitude?

I never said he cant make money off Crazy Bump. But the prices he charges are stupid. If you have a company, $299.99 for a licence is stupid.

EDIT: Remember this isn't Photoshop, its not 3DS Max. Its a photoshop nvidia plug in with a few extra bells and whistles and a real time viewport.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-27-2008 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What makes you think I have a "pissy attitude"? Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean its a personal attack. You must get mortified every time anyone discusses politics with you.

o'dium wrote:
But it does indeed suck hes charging for it

o'dium wrote:
I never said he cant make money off Crazy Bump.

:dork:

$70 for student/teachers, $100 for private users and "indie" developers, $300 for commercial use seems pretty reasonable to me compared to all the other programs out there that people buy for game development, mostly starting at the $1000+ range.

I know the Photoshop plugin is just a "plugin" but I'm comparing the quality of the end result since I was telling Plan B how direct heightmap converted normal maps like the plugin produce poorer quality normal maps. If it's all you have then it'll do, but the end results won't be the same. Basically the plugin takes the heightmap values and translates them to W normals while negating UV normals. Better software like CrazyBump will "fill-in" the missing UV normals using its algorithm. Model generated normal maps are best because it's a direct conversion of XYZ normals to UVW.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-27-2008 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Less talk, more screenshots!

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-27-2008 09:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
What makes you think I have a "pissy attitude"? Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean its a personal attack. You must get mortified every time anyone discusses politics with you.

o'dium wrote:
But it does indeed suck hes charging for it

o'dium wrote:
I never said he cant make money off Crazy Bump.

:dork:

$70 for student/teachers, $100 for private users and "indie" developers, $300 for commercial use seems pretty reasonable to me compared to all the other programs out there that people buy for game development, mostly starting at the $1000+ range.

I know the Photoshop plugin is just a "plugin" but I'm comparing the quality of the end result since I was telling Plan B how direct heightmap converted normal maps like the plugin produce poorer quality normal maps. If it's all you have then it'll do, but the end results won't be the same. Basically the plugin takes the heightmap values and translates them to W normals while negating UV normals. Better software like CrazyBump will "fill-in" the missing UV normals using its algorithm. Model generated normal maps are best because it's a direct conversion of XYZ normals to UVW.

I've been working with high poly models and local maps for 5 years now... Why do you think I don't know what it means?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-28-2008 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
I've been working with high poly models and local maps for 5 years now... Why do you think I don't know what it means?

Um. I read the end of obsidian's post as "Okay, here's a bit more detail about what I'm thinking, and why I'm seeing this as maybe doing a bit more than a typical plug-in. See if you agree or not."

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm full of crap, but I certainly didn't read it as somehow saying you're lacking in clueage.

Deep breaths man. :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-01-2008 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agree with Fjoggs. There's indeed too much discussion about license costs and stuff for a thread topic like "Screenshots".
Not that I'm doing this thread any favor by stating something like that and not providing any scrnshts by myself... :tard: Still, take this as (somehow) granted: During the next few weeks (finally holidays!) I might publish a few pics, let's wait and see.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-01-2008 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I need to increase the sky light, much too dark right now (I've had to artifically brighten it in PSP). Also need to fix the leak with the rockwall conntecting with the fort.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-02-2008 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A little lift I made, the final model was rendered in 3ds max. By the way, does anybody know how I can set up a glowmap in 3ds max? Right now I did paint the glow of the lights on the diffuse map, in d3 I would have a seperate texture for that. Couldn't figure out how this works in max :?

Overview:
http://www.bja-design.de/models/lift01_overview.jpg

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.