Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Motherboard dead?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Motherboard dead?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a quick one for ya. Turn on the PC, all the fans and everything start up. So I know the Power Supply is good. But I get no screen, and no beeps from the motherboard. Thought it might be the video card, so I changed to the onboard vid hookup, and same thing. The hard drives are still good, I tested them on my other computer. So the question is, is it the motherboard that is dead, or if the CPU is dead would it keep the motherboard from runnin also? Or would the post screen still come up, and show there is no CPU?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 03:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CPUs rarely die unless from an overheat so odds are its the mobo.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-08-2005 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to lump this into your thread as well, if you don't mind:

I picked up a few old computers, hacked them together into a frankenputer, and for some reason when i hit the "power" button, nothing happens. No fans, no lights, no beeps. What could the problem be ? :(

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-08-2005 06:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glossy wrote:

I picked up a few old computers, hacked them together into a frankenputer, and for some reason when i hit the "power" button, nothing happens. No fans, no lights, no beeps. What could the problem be ? :(

make sure you plug the power cable in >:E :p

in your case sounds like the PS

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-08-2005 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nah, dont mind. :)

Yeah, Im fairly certain its the mobo. Thanks for the input Tormentius. Looks like he will have to buy a new one. :icon26:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-09-2005 03:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
glossy wrote:

make sure you plug the power cable in >:E :p

in your case sounds like the PS

might also have to add, i'm able to get the keyboard lights to blink on-holdonesecond-off by shorting one of the connections (labelled "KBD TST" >:E) on the motherboard so i know there's power to the board, but i just can't get the fucker to turn on. i got the datasheet off the internet and i know i'm plugging the switch into the right pins on the mobo...

might also add, the PS is a newish 400W, all cables but one (that looks like it should be plugged into a HDD/CDROM/Floppy drive, on a guess). Going to have a more fiddle with it now. wish me luck :(

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-12-2005 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well damnit!
I just bought this motherboard to replace the dead(or is it) one.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6813131509

Hook everything up, turn it on, and it turns on for 1 second, and then turns off. I then unplug all the wires for switches and such, except for the power switch. Turn it on, it stays on for about 5 seconds then turns off. WHAT is going on now? Anybody have any ideas?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-12-2005 04:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cpu's in my house are usually to blame when my system acts like yours.

i've fried 10++ cpu's and never had a motherboard fry on me other then the time i made a custom watercooler holddown "broke 3 mobo's and 2 cpu's in 2 days.

make sure all hardware is properly mounted and make damn sure your heatsync fan is on correctly or it will act like a dead cpu .

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-12-2005 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh and just have cpu +fan ,1 stick of ram ,a video card,1 hard drive , keyboard and mouse installed.
minimal hardware installation "try without a hard drive"

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-13-2005 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey ax, well Ive weeded out the CPU. I tried another one in there, and still the same problem, and even put the cpu in my other computer, and it runs just fine. Tried it without a HD, Floppy, and CDrom, and still no go. One thing to note. I took the CPU out completely, and started it up, and this time it stayed running, the PSU fan stayed running and such. So Im starting to think it might be the PSU? Is it possible that a PSU can just halfway die. Only have enough power to run a couple fans, but not feed the motherboard, and CPU?

brushmangler
brushmangler
PostPosted: 08-14-2005 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-SKID- wrote:
Is it possible that a PSU can just halfway die. Only have enough power to run a couple fans, but not feed the motherboard, and CPU?

Well if part of the psu is overheating, it'll probably shut itself down to prevent more damage. It could also be a bad internal connection that goes even worse when psu is at working temperatures. (i have a psu like that at home, anything more then a mobo, cpu and mem and it never boots, else it stops dead after about 30 sec's) So yes it might well be your PSU

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 08-15-2005 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everyone seems to have forgotten about the problem that a bad stick of RAM can cause.

And yes, a PSU can be failing and still power several items without completely working.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.