Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Protocal 43

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Protocal 43

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-13-2005 06:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After getting the v1.32 patch to work on quake, I tried to enter a server, and I get "This server uses protocal 43"
and it doesnt let me in.
What might cause this? and is there a way I can change my protocal to 43? =/

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-13-2005 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as far as i remember, protocal 43 is Virsion 116n.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-13-2005 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A protocol is the "language" in which the server communicates with the client. If the server uses a differend protocol as your computer (the client) then you won't be able to connect to that server, since the server and client don't understand each other. You will be dumped back to the menu with a message "server uses protocol xx" where xx is the protocol number.
Quake 3 uses different network protocols depending on the point release used.

Protocol 43 refers to Point Release 1.16. You are connecting to servers running an older version of Q3.

I suggest you download and install All-Seeing Eye to browse for game servers. While not necessary, ASE is far superior to the in-game browser, therefore I suggest you use it. Open the All-Seeing Eye program. In ASE, under the Game column, you'll find what mod the server is running. Baseq3 refers to a server running w/o any modifications. If you don't have the mod that the server is running you'll have to download it (use google to locate mod developers website and the corresponding mod files). Rocket Arena 3, Threewave, OSP, DeFraG, CPMA and Urban Terror are some of the more popular mods, just to name a few. Also, you can filter servers according the version they are running, so only 1.32 servers are displayed (located in the left pane under the Quake III Arena tree and Version subtree).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.