Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Q3 Screen not centered

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3 Screen not centered

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-26-2005 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, all!

New G5 just arrived last night. :D

Didn't have time to do much with it yet, but I did give Q3 a quick run and timedemo. And, I noticed an odd problem.

The Q3 screen isn't centered. In fact, I'm missing a good chunk of the left part of the screen. And the right side of the screen is just black - as if it's not getting drawn. If I go to the multiplayer menu, the back button is half gone. It's just says, ck... :p

I tried the ol' get rid of the config file thing, but no difference. The OS screen is just fine. So it's not the monitor setting.

Anyway I can center this puppy again?

Thanks,

Shrapnel

BTW, I use some fairly low res settings for q3, including vertex instead of lightmap and 640x480 - becuase I was originally running on an old 450mhz G4. But here's some general timedemo four numbers with that config...

450mhz G4 - about 60 fps. (as I recall)
450hmz G4 after I upgraded the processor to a 1.4Ghz in the same box - aprox 110 fps.
Brand spankin' new Quad G5 - 400+fps.
Quad G5 with r_smp 1 - 600+fps.

Even though timedemo four gave me 110 fps on my 1.4Ghz G4, my real fps in games would sometimes drop to 30 (or below in certain areas of some maps or during heavy fighting) and would avg around 60-70. So I'm lookin' forward to trying some on-line play with this new comp :D Maybe even turn some eye-candy back on.

Also looking forward to making iPod movies that don't take about 8x real time to encode.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-26-2005 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have u tried restoring defaults in q3?

Keep your fav config file somewhere safe, and restore defaults. There was a g4 installer somewhere, but not sure if that would be helpful with a g5. and Im jealous of your machine :) still on g3iMac with 8mg vid ram here

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-27-2005 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, S@M, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm really happy with the new comp. I wanted to upgrade before the new Intel processors come out. Even though they are supposed to run G4/G5 software with an emulator, I've got a bunch of render-heavy software I bought that I'm concerned won't work (or won't work well) with the new procs and I don't want to buy all that stuff again. Plus, my G4 had started acting up a bit, so it seemed like the time was now. So, for as long as the G4 holds out, I'll keep it networked with the G5 and use it as a file server and for programs I need OS9 or 10.3 to run (like my old Pro-Tools hardware that digi decided not to support in Tiger). Just finished the set-up and networking last night - it's pretty sweet, if I do say so myself. :D

If by restoring the q3 defaults you mean throwin' away the config and have q3 remake it, yeah, I tried that.

I think it's related to the screen resolution. It seems q3 no longer is able to change the monitor resolution. Maybe 'cuz I'm using DVI-VGA adapters. System Prefs can adjust it, but q3 can't.

I managed to get the screen centered by changing resolutions, but now it's kind of squished horizontally. So it's oblong, with the top to bottom stretched in aspcet ratio as compared to the left to right.

Anyway, I saw something on this board about setting custom sizes when you first start q3. I'll try that and mess with the resolutions in system prefs vs. q3 and see what I can get. I'll post here when/if I figure it out.

- Shrapnel

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-29-2005 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NjR_Shrapnel wrote:
The OS screen is just fine. So it's not the monitor setting.

No, it probably is the monitor's settings.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-29-2005 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your monitor stores display orientation settings for each resolution and refresh rate, so if that changes (which is most likely does when you go into quake), it will sometimes offset the screen for the resolution/refresh rate configuration that Q3 is using. Adjust the monitor when you're in quake and the monitor should remember that setting the next time you start quake. Rememer that if you change the resolution that Q3 runs at, you will also cause the monitor to possibly offset again and will have to adjust it accordingly again.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-12-2005 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I managed to get it working by setting my display res in sys preferences to match the custom res for q3 using a variation on the post from riddla...

seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customwidth "1152"
seta r_customheight "870"

Certain resolutions seemed to work right, others didn't. This one works great for me, so I'm not touchin' it again. LOL.

Thanks again to all who responded! It's definitely an improved game experience playing on the new box - except I can't blame my lack of skills on the comp anymore. :p

- Shrapnel

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-02-2006 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
Try this:

Quote:
How can I play wide-screen quake?
Create two files. autoexec.cfg & wide.cfg. These files go in library\application support\quake3\baseq3\.

Example for 15" PowerBook owners (1280x854 resolution):

// autoexec.cfg
exec wide.cfg

// Wide.cfg
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customaspect "1"
seta r_customwidth "1280"
seta r_customheight "854"
seta r_fullscreen "1"

Sorry to sound dumb but how do u create these files? I'm a real dunce and need it spelled out.

Thanks

I have a G5 with a 20" widescreen Dell

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-02-2006 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Use textedit or any basic text editor. Make sure the file is saved as a text (.txt) file and not any other format such as rich text (.rtf) or microsoft word (.doc), etc.

Make sure you rename the file to (.cfg) when placing it in your baseq3 directory. Q3 will only execute it if its got the .cfg extension.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.