Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Putting the "Users" directory on a different drive

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Putting the "Users" directory on a different drive

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-30-2005 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it possible to make the default "Users" directory on a second hard drive, so when OS X starts up it uses the account folder on the second drive as the home folder? I'd like to do this because every now and then I get the urge to re-format for shits and giggles, and if there's a way to just point OS X to the second drive for the User directories then that would be great and easy to do when I dick around with the main drive.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-30-2005 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For instance, I'd like the desktop to have "Macintosh HD" on it, but would also like the second drive to appear as "Users" on the desktop and have that actually be the Users directory that the system recognizes. :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-05-2005 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've seen it done across a network with NetInfo. Essentially, all user homes were NFS shares that the local NeXTSTEP boxes would see under /Network.

What'll be important is the mount point for your external drive. You can mirror the current setup by copying the directories over to the external drive and then mounting the drive on boot time. Of course, if you don't have the drive turned on then you'd be screwed *but* you would actually end up in the original directory if you logged in ;-)

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 12-10-2005 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ditto, symbolic links and macosxhints.com have your answers

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.