Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        6800 GT Cross Flash Success

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 6800 GT Cross Flash Success

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd been looking to upgrade the graphics card on my (AGP) Dual G5 from a Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition.

I considered the x800xt but the $400 price tag put me off, so I turned to the BFG 6800GT in the PC next door. After a fairly straightforward flashing process using a rom from the strangedogs website in the PC, I have a working 6800gt in my G5!

The only snag was the BFG's cooler which has tall, spring load retention screws on the back of the card. These come in contact with G5 case's divider plate, raising the cooler off the GPU. Replacing the OEM cooler with a Zalman VF700 cu solved that problem and made it quieter to boot.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 02-25-2006 07:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I need to look into doing this.. I think a lot more of the image processing I've been doing lately gets offloaded to the GPU than I thought

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-25-2006 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As long as its an AGP G5, the process involves a straightforward flash with the 2120 rom available at the previously mentioned site.

An eVGA or XFX 6800gt may be the preferred way to go as their coolers are more conventional and compact.

AGP 6800GT's are almost impossible to find new, however, so the purchase of a used unit from ebay may be necessary.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-26-2006 04:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should consider making them up and selling them on... or even have a local company making them for you.

I'm thinking of replacing the 9600 in my G5 myself and I don't want to pay the extortional amount for a Mac 9800.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 04-28-2006 06:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got a genuine Apple 6800 GT off of Ebay for 300.. I could do the flash, but I don't feel like soldering surface mounts to save $100 and not get to use all of the card features.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-02-2006 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well there's nothing like getting the genuine article. Seems like a decent price too. :D

After a few initial hiccups my flashed BFG 6800GT has operated flawlessly, but I may return it to PC duty soon so my gf can play World of Warcraft at higher resolutions.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 05-06-2006 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, the price was amazing... I've never seen that card for less than the original $500 full price. My G5 makes a little more noise now, but the fan is no louder than the other 9 fans in the case, so the volume increase is equivalent to adding another case fan

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-08-2006 04:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My G5 is somewhat louder too. Interestingly it is due to the G5 PCI bay fans running at higher speed. The Zalman fan is nearly silent.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.