Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Quicksilver

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quicksilver

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who's using it? I've downloaded it a while ago since someone was recommending it. When I started the app it was like uhmmmmm, what now, what's it good for?

Basically it's like an App launcher and Spotlight combined, but even more powerful since it uses plug-ins and triggers.

I use it to launch programs quickly (command + space - type first 3 letters of the name of the app + enter).

I have triggers like ^+command + arrow right to skip songs in iTunes.

I use it to find documents and launch them quickly.

I've ditched the dock and have gone totally keyboard-driven (on my powerbook).

You can download it here, the documentation is scarce, but there are some tutorials linked on the site.
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

It's not easy in the beginnning, but it's so powerful :o

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-08-2006 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:/

canis
canis
PostPosted: 03-08-2006 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fine, fine...I'll download it and give it a shot...

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-08-2006 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

join the darkkkksssside

canis
canis
PostPosted: 03-08-2006 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For a doctor, you're rather whiny.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-08-2006 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

k.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 03-08-2006 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

canis
canis
PostPosted: 03-08-2006 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That program has potential. I only got to screw around with it for a few minutes before coming to work, but I'll give it the full prodding when I get home.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-08-2006 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When i feel like reading quake3world, I open QS with Command+space (I ditched the quickkeys for Spotlight in favor of QS), type in q3w and press Enter. Voila, it loads in the default browser.

One other trick i like is to quickly select and move a file: you're in Finder (you can also browse files in QS), and you select a few files, open QS, press Command+G (grab), press Tab and type MOVE TO, press Tab, type in name of folder.

Most of the time you won't have to type in the whole name or command, since it will learn from you. Nice.

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 03-09-2006 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:

saturn, aka Dr House.
:)
;)

http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp? ... 3&id=16980
Part 2.
http://www.asharq-e.com/news.asp?section=3&id=17003

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-22-2006 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

busetibi wrote:
Canis wrote:

saturn, aka Dr House.
:)
;)

:paranoid:

P.S. Here's a nice User's Guide for Quicksilver:

http://mysite.verizon.net/hmelman/Quicksilver01.pdf

Use the program damnit, it'll change the way you use your Mac.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.