Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Mac Games

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Mac Games

PostPosted: 03-13-2006 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've recently been finding myself with a lot more time to kill than before so I've been getting back into gaming. Single player mostly.
I'm on an iBook G4
1.2 GHz
768 MB of RAM
32 MB video card.

Right now I've been alternating between:
Quake
Quake III
Halo
AvP Gold
Marathon
Star Wars: Dark Forces

I had Civilization III, but got bored after playing it a few times so I uninstalled it.

Any recommendations?

PostPosted: 03-13-2006 08:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saracasm aside, I normally don't play it for too long it's not that fun of a game. If you haven't tried it, just play Halo..the strory line is very very similiar.
For one it's an FPS without a crosshair, making it a pain the ass the straffe and shoot at the same time and know where you are aiming.

Also, I normally don't really care about graphics, but these are so bad in places that it's actually disorientating, subtracting from game play. Especially in maze areas in small corridors where it's impossible to know if you've been there just based on what you can see. You really have to keep track in your mind, which is fine until you run into your tenth dead end and think you've been everywhere; or circle straff around an enemy and not remember which way you started facing since all the corridors have the same 16bit texture.

The only thing that keeps me coming back to it now and then is the classic arcade feel to it.

PostPosted: 03-13-2006 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Out of the list I posted earlier Quake and AvP Gold are by far the best and well worth a run through in single player if you haven't already.

PostPosted: 03-14-2006 12:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Marathon screenshots:
http://www.bungie.net/SlideShow.aspx?Pa ... ts&Slide=0

you may be able to see the halo similarities without even playing it. It's an old game so I can forgive the graphics at times...but atleast give me a crosshair.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-14-2006 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Crosshairs were for babies.

You really didn't need them. The guns were positioned in the middle of the screen and there was a certain amount of autoaiming going on.

PostPosted: 03-14-2006 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't noticed any auto aiming. As far as the guns, they are lined up horizontally, but you can't use the gun as a measure vertically where the bullet will go. The bullet will go far higher than where the gun is on the screen.

Back to the thread: I got Call of Duty, I've already played it on PC, but it's still fun playing again.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-14-2006 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pathways Into Darkness. Best game ever.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-16-2006 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Marathon Infinity had some of the best 2.5d map design ever. It's awesome.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-17-2006 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

QuakeWorld. Sorry to be old school but it's the best game I've seen on a modern computer. I miss the off-hand grapple so much.

"Elite" is the best game ever... C64 version naturally. Followed by "Manic Miner" and, maybe, "Mario 64".

Modern wise... I've played a fair bit of Halo. I'm *really* waiting for Quake 4 and QuakeWars (please!). I'll buy the Mac needed to play them well. If need be, I'll even buy legacy hardware with XP.

This dual 2Ghz G5 is going to be so much slower than the new pro-level Intel Macs. Hell, the Intel iMac gives it a run for its money. I now have two at work along with another dual 2Ghz G5 which I develop on - have to support legacy :-( You've seen my Quake 3 benchmarks which tells it all.

Should be getting a MacBook Pro, at work, as soon as they arrive at retailers in Belgium. If only they'd asked me to sort it out we'd already have one (via Apple contacts).

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 03-17-2006 02:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played Marathon like a month ago, luckily I found an opponent to play with over the net. He said I was pretty good for a newbie and I did get some really good shots on him, it has some nice mp and a good change too.

The sp wasn't really all that exciting though.

PostPosted: 03-19-2006 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's a bitch to get a hold of mac games in the stores here and unless I ebay them, they always seem way too expensive online.

Call of Duty team deathmatch has been fun though. My only complaint is that once in awhile it says I can't play online because my CD key is in use...usually in the afternoon. Mornings/nights I don't get that too often.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.