Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        nVidia plasma gun crash - how to fix?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: nVidia plasma gun crash - how to fix?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi guys. Good to see the board back, especially as I need a little help.
Recently upgraded the old G4 to a double processor machine and threw in a GeForce 4 Ti card while I was at it. Everything works great, Q3 timedemo up to 240 fps at 1056 res, fast and smooth.
But (and this one's a bigger butt than J-Lo's) everytime I play Q3 (as opposed to running the timedemo) it crashes, usually when I'm being shot in the face by a plasma gun. Rocket hits might do it too.
I seem to remember this being a noted bug. What I can't remember is how to fix it. Can anybody help here?

PS I'm running 1.32 (the optimised G4 build, latest version available). Never had any crashes before with the old processor and GeForce 2MX.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AFAIK it's a bug Mac users have to deal with. Stick around and check back every now and then, and maybe some of the old Q3W crowd will show up with some sort of solution. This place just came back online a few days ago.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, Canis. I'm hoping some of the veterans might make a return :)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey,

Download and install this upgrade, it solved my problems so far.

http://www.mactrix.dk/Quake3-132-AltivecTest2.pkg.sit

Good luck, and please let me know how it goes.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey MacMan,
I'm already running it:-(
Weirdly enough the crash doesn't seem to happen with mods. Played some Rocket Arena the other day and everything was fine. But as soon as I play any single-player Q3, it's crash city.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 03-01-2005 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It has something to do with the texture used for the plasma gun, not the program itself. The texture is fucked a bit, so sometimes it conflicts with the code that displays it. Most mods have other textures so this isnt a problem, but if you change the textures in the pak0.pk3 file you wont be able to run on pure servers.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-02-2005 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi aHorseofCourse,

I know you are running the test2, but this test2 is a modified one. Try installing it anyway it wont do any harm, you don't have to uninstall anything just run it over the one you already have.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-02-2005 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey MacMan,
Gave it a whirl and . . . I think it works! Played three or four bot matches without a single crash.
Thanks for the link. Any idea what was changed/fixed?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-06-2005 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi aHorseofCourse,

I’m not really sure what’s changed in this version, I’m just glad it works. :icon26:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.