Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        intel macs file sharing between partitions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: intel macs file sharing between partitions

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-28-2006 02:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dont have one yet, but work is thinking of getting a few. Anyone able to advise on how easy (or not) it is to file share between the mac and windows environs?

The apple store said Id need to reboot each time, and store on a usb stick, but I heard from somewhere that the mac side will read the win side, but not vica versa...:icon26:

anyone know what the truth is on this, and/or solutions?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-28-2006 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The mac can read from windows partitions, depending on the format. I'm not sure which is more compatible: NTFS or FAT, but the mac can see the windows partition. Windows, however, cannot see the mac's HFS+ partition without additional software, so when you're trying copy files between environments, you'll have to use the mac.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-28-2006 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Mac can read FAT. Make a third partition that's FAT for exchange.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-28-2006 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Macs can also read NTFS, but can't write.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-28-2006 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so if the windows partition is FAT, the mac can read and write to it - is that the view?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-28-2006 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-29-2006 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Install Windows with NTFS and make an extra FAT partition to exchange (drive D: or so).

An alternative is a networked diskdrive but you obviously need a decent bandwidth on your LAN. The Mac'd see the disk with Samba and Windows'd think it was a Windows share or something. I've considered this approach as they're handy to use as a file server. A solution for running Windows on one of the virtual machines.

You *might*, and I stress might, be able to get a network disk that knows NFS. That'd be handy as you could put your user account on it for the Mac (NetInfo helps there) and you *might* be able to get Windows to use it in a domain or something.

I've used something similar on NeXTSTEP with NFS home directories on a server. Handy when I moved around the office and logged on as I'd get my regular account setup on any of the NeXT boxes we had.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-29-2006 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or another similar option could be to get an external drive and format it to FAT32 to use likewise.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-02-2006 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, that's a solution. I assume the firewire works on Windows.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-02-2006 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is fantastic news, we just employed an IT guy - linux background but knows his way around a mac as well, so now hes gonna set up my new macpro laptop :)
sweet

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.