Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Cannibalizing an iMac G4 monitor

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Cannibalizing an iMac G4 monitor

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 10-13-2006 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My lab has a non-functional G4 iMac that is destined for the recycling bin. I figured I'd try removing the screen and using it for... oh I don't know... an extra screen for my PC or something...

How feasible is it to do this? I suspect I'll need to get a VGA plug and splice the wires in. Is it that simple, or does the screen use some abnormal wiring? Basically, can it be done?

Also, how difficult would it be to physically detach the monitor from the base without damaging it?
Any insight or advice is appreciated.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-13-2006 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You might ask in the forums at xlr8yourmac.com for that kind of info.

You didn't state what type of iMac it is (all in one or lamp) which makes the difference between CRT and LCD.

You *might* consider building a custom PC inside of it. Worth a thought for sure.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 10-13-2006 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know shit about macs. I thought all G4s were desklamps.
me --> :dork:

Anyway, it's a desklamp. I have this crazy idea that I might use it as a second monitor for my PC, but have it set up in my living room... so I can use it as a digital picture frame or something... :shrug:

I don't have the the time, patience, or money to put that much effort into making it a custom pc, but that would be cool, to be sure. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but something inside isn't working correctly, and it's not worth trying to get fixed, so the lab is planning to toss it. I'm willing to salvage whatever I can, but since I don't know what is actually broken, I'm not sure there's much more than the screen I can use.

I'll check out that site, thanks. :icon14:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-13-2006 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You might take it down the local Apple Store and getting a "genius" to see if they can identify the problem. Could be a simple (cheap) fix and you'd get a sexy looking Mac, although it's as slow as molasses compared to the current line.

It'd be fine for general internet use mind.

Edit: My ex work gave me one for home to play with. I loved it and was sad to return it when I left. I still think it's sexier than the current iMac range.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 10-13-2006 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's a possibility. Apparently, the guy in the lab who takes care of the computers called Apple and they said it will cost $50 of so just to look at it. Who knows how much it will cost to actually fix. Maybe I could get them to ID the problem and I could fix it myself (doubt it, though, since I'm Mac-challenged).
I guess I wouldn't mind having it as a media player in my living room if it's cheap to fix. ..

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-13-2006 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're essentially PCs in the component parts. Usual disks, RAM and video cards.

Macs usually do DVI rather than VGA by default but they can usually drive VGA with an adaptor (ships with most Macs).

The iMac you have is likely DVI but you should research what card is driving it (ATI likely).

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 10-13-2006 10:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My card can handle DVI, so that's not a problem. I take it the screen it just plugged into the card via a normal jack? If that's the case, I can just unplug it, detach the monitor from the arm, and plug it in to my system. That'll be a piece of cake...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-14-2006 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The monitor is integrated into the iMac so you can't disconnect it simply. The metal arm it's on is where the cables run along inside.

I dunno how you'd do a conversion but I'm guessing it's not likely going to be simple, if at all practicle.

I *assume* that the cables of the monitor plug into the video card and power supply in the base so it might be the case you can change the connectors there and run a DVI or VGA cable to the PC.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.