Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        So I went a little crazy

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: So I went a little crazy

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Buying a computer in an Apple store vice over the Internet is a financially unsafe practice.

Powermac Dual 2.7 ghz G5, 4.5 gigs ram, ATI X800 XT.

I swore I wasn't going to take a chance on the liquid cooling thing, but apparently the Clarendon, VA Apple store has its own Steve Jobs reality distortion field generator somewhere in the back room.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the federal employee discount helped make this config sound a little saner too.

anyone know how I can get my original account password changed to match the one I'm using for the Temp account?

-Dinnerdog

Keep your lovin' brother happy.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For changing account stuff contact raw or Turb.

Congrats on the purchase. That should be a bit of a financial setback. My 2.5GHz, 1GB RAM, Geforce6800U, 160GB drive set me back about $3100.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4.5 gigs of ram? *whistles*

Tiger will run like a charm

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*$$$* I hope that's not Apple Store ram *$$$*

Nice purchase tho. I wouldn't mind another gig of Crucial in my dual 2.0 :icon31:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm trying to forget about the price...

But it broke down like this.

Dual G5 2.7, 512m ram $2759.00
4 gigs ram $531.00 (Crucial.com) (1gig DIMMS, NOT 512s)
ATI X800 XT $495.00 (Other World Computing)
Second 200gb SATA drive $159.00 (Best Buy)

Total = (i'm not adding this up, I'd much rather just look at individual prices).

They tried to talk me into the Apple care. I've always pass on warranties. I don't buy products that need extended warranties. Anyway, if Apple was expecting these things to break they wouldn't be selling extended warranties. I suspect that most people sign up for Applecare just for the extended technical support.

-Dinnerdog

Keep your lovin' brother happy

canis
canis
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sheesh....face the music. The total is $3944.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The X800's a good choice. The ATI overrides are a serious factor in deciding on a Mac graphics card.

I suppose now's a bad time to mention that my first G5 was DOA.....

canis
canis
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wish Nvidia would get cracking on a displays control panel for the Mac. :(

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dinnerdogtemp2 wrote:
They tried to talk me into the Apple care. I've always pass on warranties. I don't buy products that need extended warranties. Anyway, if Apple was expecting these things to break they wouldn't be selling extended warranties. I suspect that most people sign up for Applecare just for the extended technical support.

AFIAK, you can buy Apple Care at any time during the warranty so you might consider it when it's about to expire ;-)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, when I start reading stories about the liquid cooling spilling out over the desktop then I'll go out and get some Applecare.

NCG_Mike wrote:
dinnerdogtemp2 wrote:

AFIAK, you can buy Apple Care at any time during the warranty so you might consider it when it's about to expire ;-)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that last month I bought a 24 inch Dell LCD.

That's another Grand.

I don't have kids or a wife, but I might have a wife next year (and THAT did play into this decision).

Canis wrote:
Sheesh....face the music. The total is $3944.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-13-2005 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dinnerdogtemp2 wrote:
I don't have kids or a wife, but I might have a wife next year (and THAT did play into this decision).

Right. Buy it while you can!
I totally understand. :) (No wife, but a live in girlfriend of 3.5 years isn't very different)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.