Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Shotgun Impacts aren't showing up

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Shotgun Impacts aren't showing up

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-24-2008 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been stuck with this problem for some time now, and I've gone through and tried doing just about whatever reverting, debugging, whathaveyou I can think of and it's still messed up.

The shotgun bullet impacts simply don't show up. I don't remember during which compile they disappeared but they did and it was random as hell. I've traced each function from firing to the pellet code to the impact marks and all of them are executing. I looked at where the media is defined, and it uses the same exact media that the pistol and machinegun use, which do work perfectly fine. I turned on r_showtris 1, and they aren't even being stuck on the surface they impact. It actually does damage to a player however, so I assume the collision is working properly.

You can grab the full game/cgame/ui source here, and I'm more than willing to post any functions you would like to look at specifically.

Hopefully someone can help out :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-24-2008 03:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I cant get it to compile :(

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 01-27-2008 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After fixing a few minor things, I compiled the code and tried running in Quake 3 and a lot of media is missing.

-An eyeful a day is bloody fantastic!-

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-27-2008 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's for a standalone I'm working on, PM me for a version if you're wanting to test changes.

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 01-27-2008 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe your direction vectors are getting screwed up somehow, because when I tested it, no matter what direction I aimed at, the shotgun effects were always in the same spot.

EDIT: I noticed you added some stuff to the playerstate struct and entitystate structs in q_shared.h. It's not a good idea to do this as as the each member is transmitted individually and the client and engine expects them in the right order. This could cause a few problems.

I suggest taking the new stuff out and putting them into stat or persistant variables (in bg_public.h, look for STAT_ or PERS_)

-An eyeful a day is bloody fantastic!-

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-20-2008 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, removing my changes to the entitystate struct fixed the shotgun impacts. I was having another issue where the ammo wouldn't update properly, that ended up being a small change in msg.c...

just in case people run into similar issues

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.