Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Large maps, terrain

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Large maps, terrain

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-20-2009 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, my first time here ^_^

I have been planning a game, maybe using the Q3 engine, and was wondering how difficult it would be to modify the Q3 engine to make rendering large maps or terrain better? I am not a graphics programmer, I mostly do more mundane and tedious programming, and I don't know the internals of the Q3 engine, so figured it would be best to ask before deciding on anything.

NOTE: I am NOT a graphiXXX zombie, I do not masturbate to graphics, and couldn't care less about shiny pixels ^^; I know, there are plenty of new and shiny engines out there with superb masturbatory graphics, but that's not what I want. The Q3 engine is fairly lightweight and fast, scalable, and also runs smoothly on lower-end computers, which is what is important. The game I've been planning is similar to True Combat Elite for Enemy Territory, and I never saw any reason to "enhance" the graphics, good as it is. Just to spare me the oh so common graphiXXX zombie rants T_T Just to be on the safe side. Don't really know what kind of people are here, and if anyone shares my "renaissance" views.

Anyway, it isn't perfect, so some modifications would be a must, but it's only a small game so it's not the end of the world. I do have thoughts/plans for an engine of my own, but that would be overkill and too difficult, that comes later.

Any constructive comments are welcome!

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-20-2009 09:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, rikaf. The Q3 engine might not be the best pick for you. It's optimized for arena-style close combat, not large open maps. To be more specific, it does support *large* maps (large enough to have you walking for the better part of an hour) but large open spaces bring it to a crawl. You can work around it to a certain extent by carefully designing your maps but, depending on what you want to do, YMMV.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-21-2009 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what I was afraid of...guess I'll have to keep looking.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-22-2009 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, you could do numerous hacks like distance fog culling or carefully portalled valley routes, but to do something along the lines of Quake Wars, id Tech 3 will not do.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 10-24-2009 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you don't mind spending a few quid, torque3d is pretty cool:
http://www.garagegames.com/

another commercial one is:
http://unity3d.com/unity/

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.