Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Can you open a webpage from a button/link in Team Arena menu

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Can you open a webpage from a button/link in Team Arena menu

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-03-2010 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm working on the (TA) menus for my mod, and I'm wondering if there is a way to have a button that you could click on that when pressed quits (or alt tabs) out of the game and tries to open a url link using your operating system (so in other words, it will open up your default browser and go to that web site).

And I mean without having to code anything new in the mod/game code.

Seems like the answer is probably no, but figured I would ask.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-04-2010 12:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And the answer is indeed 'no'. =)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-06-2010 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does the mod/game code have any functions like exec() or system() where you can run a system command/program?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-06-2010 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope. The SDK is designed to run in a sandbox.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-06-2010 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet if he distributes the ioquake3 engine build with his mod, he could add a new client command to do that in ioquake3, and then have the mod/sdk trigger that client command?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-06-2010 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, but that doesn't satisfy the below requirement. =)

Quote:
And I mean without having to code anything new in the mod/game code.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.