Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        OpenGL Project

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: OpenGL Project

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-20-2010 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd just like to display my OpenGL project here for everyone, since I've gotten it to a somewhat fun stage where you can run about in a level. My goals with the project are:

-Make the collision detection robust so players won't fall out into the void occasionally
-Implement some rudimentary physics, at least on the level of Q3
-Create texture/model/world map facilities, look into lightmapping
-Dabble in animation
-Begin experimenting with networking code
-Make some sort of game with it

You can download the latest version here:
http://code.google.com/p/exact3d/downloads/detail?name=Exact3d_alpha0.1d_06202010.zip&can=2&q=

And of course you can browse the source as you like. The msvc files on the repository are out of date and may not be useful if you're looking to do anything with it, I've been developing on dial-up all weekend and they're large files :P.

Things I'm embarrassed about/need to do better:
-most things are in development currently (like the AABB vs triangle function for example) so there's alot of inefficient, silly looking code
-crappy means of including headers
-inconsistent naming in places
-probably not best design overall
-use of outdated OpenGL API

Anywho, enough blathering, tell me what you think :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-21-2010 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it's amazing. I haven't looked at the code or the binaries in action, but I already am impressed.

You see, I'm doodling around in XNA trying to create a silly 2D game and I've spend ages searching in Google trying to figure out how to use sine and cosine to calculate diagonal movement and stuff like that. I never was really good at maths. I wouldn't know where to begin if a 3rd dimension is introduced. Good thing there's always Google though :)

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-21-2010 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks eraser, glad you're impressed! Yeah, the bulk of the work is most definitely conceptual math stuff, some of which I'm still struggling with myself. This alone has taken me well over a year to put together.

I'm presenting it to my class on Friday, so I'm trying to make it as visually impressive as possible, I added a skybox and am currently skinning a shotgun model for the first person view :D

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-28-2010 06:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need to include zlib in your archive

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-28-2010 11:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Needs more bloom

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-29-2010 12:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^_^

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.