Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Teleporters and Bugs?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Teleporters and Bugs?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-02-2006 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why don't machine gun and shotgun bullets go through the teleporter?

Also, I noticed if you shoot a rocket into the teleporter from a distance or at an angle, it won't go through. You have to hit it dead center and upclose. Is that a bug or intentional? Grenades and nail gun projectiles seem to have no problem going through.

Thank you. :)

Demongay
Demongay
PostPosted: 05-02-2006 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

because they're tracelines.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-02-2006 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's because they're hitscan (instant hit) shots which are calculted by drawing a straight line out from the gun and finding the first thing it (instantly) collides with.

As opposed to projectiles like RL rockets and plasma, where an item is created in the world and thrown forwards at a set pace.

Of course, it should be possible to calculate hitscan weaponry through a portal - it would be nice if a game adds this in at some point.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-02-2006 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How about the rockets? Are they just exploding behind the teleporter as well as going through?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-02-2006 12:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prey lets you shoot any weapon through its teleporters.

So did unreal 1 FYI.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-02-2006 12:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iluvquake4 wrote:
How about the rockets? Are they just exploding behind the teleporter as well as going through?

The rockets are counted as 'hitting' the teleporter, but obviously don't produce any damage or sound or visuals. The point and angle on the teleporter where the rocket hits is then translated to the teleporter's exit location, and there another object is created which carries on in the same direction and at the same speed.

I guess. I'm not a coder person, but this would seem to be how they would achieve the effect.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-02-2006 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah okay, it appears like the rocket is exploding behind the teleporter. Yes/no?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-02-2006 01:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Regarding your bug... I dunno. There's been some talk of how the quake 4 rockets have a volume associated with them whereas previous quake rockets were just a dot in space. perhaps if the entire size of the rocket doesn't hit the teleporter surface, it doesn't go through?

I don't remember seeing it last time I played but I haven't fired up the latest patch yet.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.