Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Q4 Delayed Sounds: No more?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q4 Delayed Sounds: No more?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-07-2006 07:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been moping at id/Raven/whoever to fix the delayed sound in Quake 4 forever... and stumbled across a little tweak that seems to suggest that it's been my own problem, sorta..

I have an Audigy 2 ZS.. Not a great card, but not too ancient either. In my Quake4Config.cfg file, I made the following change:

seta s_usedeferredsettings "0"

So far as I'm led to understand.. if s_usedeferredsettings is set to "1" (as it was by default in my config).. then the sound processing goes to the CPU? Setting it to zero makes the sound card do it. Now, if your sound card is really poor, you shouldn't (obviously) do this.. But it solved sound lag for me. I can spam teleporters with HB rounds, even do the telejump on Monsoon at the same time... and no lag.

:icon25:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 07-07-2006 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a guess, but that will kill openAL as well, won't it?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-08-2006 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll have to keep that setting in mind when I re-install Q4 once PR 1.3 is released.

I have an X-Fi & I'll gladly sacrifice openAL for stable sound.

But yeah, can you confirm if it kills openAL?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hadn't been playing with OpenAL on; it sounds wacky on my headphones.. So I had to try it to check.

It does NOT appear to mess up OpenAL.. That said: my results with OpenAL enabled (I am not using Creative's Beta OpenAL driver, though) were not quite as good. I was able to generate some audio chop when using OpenAL.. Not nearly as bad as before I changed the s_usedeferredsettings "1" to "0".. but it was there.

However, to answer your questions: No, it does not appear to disable or even badly weird out OpenAL.. It DOES, however, not appear to solve the problem 100%, when OpenAL is enabled.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.