Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Mac/linux version

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Mac/linux version

canis
canis
PostPosted: 10-03-2005 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any news on whether they're going to port it?

Frag-Muff
Frag-Muff
PostPosted: 10-03-2005 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did they port Doom 3?

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-03-2005 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Timothee 'TTimo' Besset from id Software confirmed officially that the next sequel of the Quake series, Quake IV will be released for the Linux platform.
The dedicated server will be released around the same time as the Windows version. The linux client, might be delayed a week or two. Quake4 will use the Simple Direct Media Layer (SDL) backend for input and OpenGL on Linux. The low level sys code for Linux had been needing a good rewrite for several years, so it made sense to use SDL now.

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/new ... toryid=986

Don't know about a mac version, but I'm guessing there will be.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 10-03-2005 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They did get D3 over to the mac, so I'm assuming the same will be for Q4 eventually...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd watch the macplay website. They did the port of d3. So all mac d3 based games will probable go through them as well. Witch is good, but bad. because they are deticated to the mac, but they can be a little slow.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-08-2005 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Personally i find it a great relief we'll be seeing a linux client shortly after the official release.
It has to be said that it was the Linux compatability of quake3 that has kept me playing it exclusively all these years - although trying doom3 once they ported it, the novelty wore off and before long i was back MP quakin' again.

Here's to hoping a few weeks won't stretch out too far ( /me goes to dig out his win2k disk just in case .... )

edit : oooh, this thread was old - any update from anywhere on the state of a linux port ?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saweet! I can't wait for this game....and the Linux dedicated server too :drool:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 05:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
They did get D3 over to the mac, so I'm assuming the same will be for Q4 eventually...

it took them about 4 years to port quake2. that was fun >:E

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 05:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:

A good 1,5 years after D3's release

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.