Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Which platform?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

On which platform do you plan to battle Strogg?
Total votes : 0
Topic Starter Topic: 

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 06:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
r3t wrote:
I hope they did a good job optimizing the (lighting on the) multiplayer maps. The stock Doom 3 MP maps run pretty shitty for me, but there are some custom maps that look just as good but on which I get very good framerates.

Like I said. The game uses a combination of different tricks for the outdoor and MP levels.

Firt of all... <snip>

That sounds very plausible, and would be the way to go for Raven to create good performing and good looking maps. Is this information you deducted from the screenshots or has there been any kind of announcement made regarding the technical aspects of the engine?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 10:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:
o'dium wrote:
r3t wrote:
I hope they did a good job optimizing the (lighting on the) multiplayer maps. The stock Doom 3 MP maps run pretty shitty for me, but there are some custom maps that look just as good but on which I get very good framerates.

Like I said. The game uses a combination of different tricks for the outdoor and MP levels.

Firt of all... <snip>

That sounds very plausible, and would be the way to go for Raven to create good performing and good looking maps. Is this information you deducted from the screenshots or has there been any kind of announcement made regarding the technical aspects of the engine?

I bit of both, plus i know a bit from somebody who has played it.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 03:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will be playing it on:

x2 AMD 4500+ Dual Core
x2 Crossfire ATI 1800XT
4GB DDR400
24' Dell LCD
x2 100GB 10,000RPM Raptors

HEY GUAYS, WILL MY PEECEE RUN QUACK FEOUR ON HIGH QUALEETY?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Athlon XP 1800+ 1,53gHz
GeForce 6800GT
1,5 GB DDR-RAM

No idea how it will run.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 08:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You got yourself quite a bottleneck there :(

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 08:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah that cpu is a pile of crap. also, it's fried, so i'd guess it's actually a 1500+ :p

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

Firt of all, it uses something called "deluxe mapping". What this is, is a pre-generated lightmap for the level, that has normals information too. If you were to load a level up with a deluxe map, you would see that it looks exactly the same as Doom 3. Then, anything that needs to move, or any lights etc that wont be static, will be computed in real time. This makes the gameplay a lot faster. It also uses tiny, smaller pointlights and heavy use of ambient lighting. Point lights (just lights), are heavily fillrate bound, and so the smaller they are, the better, but the smaller they are, the less shadow you get (hence the lack of shadows in the Q4 MP pics/vids, and the small ones too). Ambient lighting in a PPL engine like Quake 4 is jsut a piontlight that doesn't change the specular map, and doesn't cast shadows (making it VERY fast).

This means that when you play Quake 4, it will look a bit flat in some places, because ambient lights light the normals directly from the front. But it will be fast.

Couple this with the fact per poly hit detection has gone for online play, and an improved netcode, as well as dozens of other tweaks, and you can be sure Quake 4 MP will be smooth, much much smoother than Doom 3 at least.
quoted for posterity

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm getting it for my imagination.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 10-08-2005 10:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AMD64 3200+
1GB OCZ
BFG OC 6600GT

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Console games s*Ck :p

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

true. but so does your sig :dork:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
true. but so does your sig :dork:

hehehe :icon31:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wonder who those two clowns are that voted for option #4.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm looking in the direction of RockCrusher :paranoid:

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PC ofcourse, and if i decide to get an xbox 360, that aswell.

Oh and looks like we're actually getting new peeps here.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MgA_ODEN wrote:
I'm looking in the direction of RockCrusher :paranoid:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.