Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        One thing that Quake IV won't have...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: One thing that Quake IV won't have...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 04:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is an intro cinematic like Quake II. I have never, ever seen an intro cinematic in a videogamet that made me shiver like the one from Quake II. Still whenever I see it, the whole mix of the sound and the music... it's just perfection.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We have all seen the Quake 4 intro. Its good, but then it gets shit... The part with it being in space with the debris and the dead bodies is fantastic, even the music is good (proper music, not Quake 2 music ). But then... It goes downhill, its almost like they ran out of ideas at that point... Troops go into a ship, it starts to fly, it gets shot, thats it. You wake up and your off... :(

I agree that Quake 2's intro is amazing, still is. Just the way the music fits so perfectly with the animation, its perfect. I love it, always have and always will. Its a shame that we couldn't see something more like this, instead of "bang, ahh, white flash" like Quake 4 does :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake IV intro?

Where?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 04:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Quake IV intro?

Where?

Not seen it? :olo:

Not even the floating half a marine in space?

Ahh shucks... :p

TOUGH!

Nah i'll see if i can dig it up.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 04:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well this doesn't help... I have a video i downloaded of it and its just called "movie9", lol... Maybe its hosted someplace.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The way he talks about the "lone marine" from Quake 2 is good though, gave me a chuckle.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 05:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the intro cinematic wasnt *that* good.
it was longer than needed, mostly. the music is aight though

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 05:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

Poof. :icon32:

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked Q3's intro, as short as it was.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i dont even remember the q2 intro cinematic..

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 09:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
is an intro cinematic like Quake II. I have never, ever seen an intro cinematic in a videogamet that made me shiver like the one from Quake II. Still whenever I see it, the whole mix of the sound and the music... it's just perfection.

agree, best intro ever

hope q4 is not dark like d3

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At least, we know it'll have your beloved Horka Thane. He registered for the CPL winter event.
:D

zewulf
zewulf
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only Q2 intro I've seen was that of the PSX version, and it wasn't anything special I don't think :shrug: No idea if it was the same as the PC version...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

zewulf wrote:
The only Q2 intro I've seen was that of the PSX version, and it wasn't anything special I don't think :shrug: No idea if it was the same as the PC version...

That was the mission pack intro, lol.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dunno, I never found the Q2 intro that good. I mean, wtf is up with that minute long circling around the big gun? Plus, you can really tell it's age now.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FUN FACT: Paul Steed made that entire intro himself in his free time. Except for the music.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
MKJ wrote:

oh im sorry

EVERYTHING QUAKE IS SO COOL I WANT TO SUCK ID'S COLLECTIVE COCKS!!!11one

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 12:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
o'dium wrote:
MKJ wrote:

oh im sorry

Yes, because thats the kind of person I am, always saying how great things are :olo:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 11:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
MKJ wrote:
o'dium wrote:
MKJ wrote:

oh im sorry

Yes, because thats the kind of person I am, always saying how great things are :olo:

not quite :icon32:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 12:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
FUN FACT: Paul Steed made that entire intro himself in his free time. Except for the music.

that was fun! :icon25:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:

That's pretty cool.

I don't think the Q2 intro is so great for it's grapical quality (thats all that was possible back then) and the rendering might not be extremely impressive (Steed is no Square Enix so to speak) but the whole atmosphere is perfect IMO. Maybe if you see the video only now it's kinda disappointing, but back when Q2 was brand spanking new it was brilliant.

The power of the movie is not so much in what you see but what you hear. The news flash before the Q2 logo explodes just sets an eerie mood about something big and horrible about to happen, like a "this has to work or mankind is doomed" kind of thing. When the camera circles around the big gun, there's all this radio chatter of everyone dying, crashing and being killed, indicating that things are going horribly wrong. The big gun at that point is what all those marines are doing it for, thus the circling around the big gun in that section. Then the camera cuts back to a sort of "bumper cam" mode of your dropship and you crash into the building, starting the adventure.

I can't exactly describe what it is, but in it's simplicity, the video tells a magnificent story.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 10-06-2005 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake2 intro was awesome.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 03:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched it again, and yes, it's quite immersive. :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got a link to the q2 intro file?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Norlan wrote:
got a link to the q2 intro file?

If I'm not mistaken the only way you can watch it is if you buy the game or do it illegally. I'll do some checking to see if it's available for free viewing.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 10-07-2005 06:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
just buy the Special DVD edition and watch it for yourself, Q2 is included :)

Doh! Keeps slipping my mind. Need that too since my old disc is not 3.20. Have to apply the patch every time I reinstall.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.