Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        what about binds?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: what about binds?

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 02:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

one thing that pissed me off, and a slew of other people i know, was how gay the binding system was in D3. my biggest peeve was the lack of the ability to use my loved double binds.

you think q4 will give us more creativity when it comes to binds this time around?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 02:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it will, but I don't see the need for it.

I mean you can do some creative things with binding, but in the interests of just keeping it simple, it'd be nice if as little of the underbelly was exposed.

Arguably though, the highly configurable nature of Q3 is what kept such a hardcore following all this time.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
I think it will, but I don't see the need for it.

I mean you can do some creative things with binding, but in the interests of just keeping it simple, it'd be nice if as little of the underbelly was exposed.

Arguably though, the highly configurable nature of Q3 is what kept such a hardcore following all this time.

I think being able to highly customize/personalize your controls is one of the greatest things about Quake. I have been turned off other games that were really good gameplay-wise, simply because I didn't have the level of control that I do in Q3.

I really, really hope Q4 is as configurable as 3 was.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 04:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

D3 doesn't support alias commands?

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It does, but user-defined alias commands in the Doom 3 tech get treated as cvars--and the default behavior for a cvar in Doom is for it to be flagged as a cheat. So when you have set MyAwesomeAlias "say btw; wait 10; say cocks" (or whatever) set up as an alias in your .cfg file, you can bind a key to vstr MyAwesomeAlias and all will be fine. Double-bindings, however, which require a nested group of aliases that set and re-set each other, don't work in Doom 3--your keybinding that changes the value of MyAwesomeAlias will just get you a console warning about how MyAwesomeAlias is cheat protected.

In Quake 4, however...

...user-created alias commands work just as freely as they did in Quake III. The only caviat is this: rather than MyAwesomeAlias, you would need to name it ua_MyAwesomeAlias. The ua_ prefix flags the cvar as a user-created alias, and not as a cheat, allowing you to set and re-set it as often as you like without tripping the "hey, this is cheat-protected" warning.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 12:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Double binds are supported in VQ3?? I thought double binds only work in mods like OSP, CPMA, X-Battle, for advanced team binds and timer scripts...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 12:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can doublebind by using vstr in vq3

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 03:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Example plz? How can i double bind my movement and/or weapon selection keys to team messages?

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing: i mean the ability to hold one key (that's already bound to something) in combination with another key to execute a certain command (vstr).

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 03:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

double bind as in a toggle.

if i push w it will switch to rl. if i hit w again it switches to rg. if i hit w once more it switches to rl. etc. etc.

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 04:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes that's exactly the kind of thing you can do with vstr and ua_ user-aliases in Quake 4.

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw when it hits the shelves, just add this to your .cfg:

Code:
seta "ua_toggleRocket" "_impulse6; set ua_toggleRLRG 'vstr ua_toggleRail'"
seta "ua_toggleRail" "_impulse7; set ua_toggleRLRG 'vstr ua_toggleRocket'"
seta "ua_toggleRLRG" "vstr ua_toggleRocket"
bind "q" "vstr ua_toggleRLRG"

you can bind it to whatever key you want, of course

you can also rename the aliases to whatever suits you

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 10-06-2005 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how the hell do you know all this rgoer?

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 10-06-2005 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
how the hell do you know all this rgoer?

he works for raven >:E

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 10-06-2005 10:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

because I'm the one that came up with the ua_ solution to the user-alias cvar cheat-protection problem

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 10-06-2005 11:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool .. now gib me a job mapping or Tech Support for Raven

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 10-12-2005 01:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgoer wrote:
because I'm the one that came up with the ua_ solution to the user-alias cvar cheat-protection problem

*pats rgoer on the back* nice one star :)

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgoer wrote:

GG sir. :icon14:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.