Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake 4 gets 70% in PC Gamer US - Ouch!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 4 gets 70% in PC Gamer US - Ouch!

KingmanULTRA
KingmanULTRA
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final Verdict:

Highs - Loads of action; gruesome visuals; Q3DM17 with Doom 3 graphics

Lows - Uninspired gameplay; Stroggification plot twist goes nowhere; no multiplayer bots.

Bottom line - This old-school shooter suffers from a lack of 21st-century game design.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds good to me!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No multiplayer bots???

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 10:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I find that hard to believe... Mostly because it was said in the other thread too :p

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 10:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doomcore wrote:
No multiplayer bots???

Of course not. Dont be so stupid, nobody wants bots they said! Just like coop, none of us here want coop at all!

Not even a Q3DM6 remake? :eek:

As much as it pains me to say it, there isn't a single fresh idea in Quake 4. Gameplay is a Frankenstein's monster of bits and pieces from earlier games stitched together into a serviceable lump that may satisfy lovers of pure shooting mayhem, but is all stuff we've seen many times before. Worse, the borrowed parts were moldy to begin with." "Graphics play heavily into Quake 4's multiplayer mode, which is essentially a "Best Of" Quake II and III's multiplayer gameplay (and maps). My favorite deathmatch map of all time, "The Longest Yard", has been made-over, courtesy of the Domo 3 engine, into "The Longest Day," while "The Edge" (from QII) is now "Over the Edge" and Q3's last map, "The Very End of You", has been reimagined as "Xaero Gravity"." "All told, there are five multiplayer modes: Deathmatch (9 maps), Team Deathmatch, Tourney (1v1ranked competitions on DM maps), CTF (5 maps), and Arena CTF. The style is pure Q3 - fast action, lots of power ups (Quad Damage, Haste) and the single-player's limp Blaster gets the boot in favor of the razor-bladed Gaunlet for humiliation kills."

Final Verdict:

Highs - Loads of action; gruesome visuals; Q3DM17 with Doom 3 graphics

Lows - Uninspired gameplay; Stroggification plot twist goes nowhere; no multiplayer bots.

Bottom line - This old-school shooter suffers from a lack of 21st-century game design.
---
Currently Playing:(PC): Divine Divinity, Doom 3, Syberia, (Online): Guild Wars, UT 2004
PS2: MGS2, Still Deciding...

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't they give d3 a 95? Thats kind of a big blow for not being revolutionary... like d3 was.

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it's going to be quake3 with better visuals, mp that is.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 11:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
Didn't they give d3 a 95? Thats kind of a big blow for not being revolutionary... like d3 was.

I thought the same TBH, if anything, Quake 4 should be BETTER because it fixes all the dumb shit and boredom of Doom 3, yet it gets a worse rating...

All I can think is maybe they played F.E.A.R. first, and thought "hold on, id games really ARE dumb as fuck hallway shooters and nothing more".

Then again, HL2 does about the same as Quake 4 does, soooooooooooooooooo...? Whats the deal?

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its fashionable to bash id games nowaday, or so it seems. I played the FEAR sp demo and I can hardly call that revolutionary, so it shouldn't matter if they played that first or not. :shrug:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 12:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, FEAR isn't amazingly new in every area. But how many risks have they took with it? How many things ahve they tried that haven't exactly been done before, or done in such detail? Its like a step forward.

From what this is saying, Quake 4 is a step... nowhere. Which we all knew anyways.

But again, why did Doom 3 get a higher score if Doom 3 was such utter tripe? Are we to assume that Quake 4 really is WORSE, much much worse? :shrug:

Maybe its because Raven did it. Raven games are known to be buggy and under polished, but fun. Maybe there wasn't enough polish?

If thats the case then i can hardly wait for RtCW2 :dork:

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm actually not caring a whole lot about the single player, which I think would be the main thing reviewers look at. IMO a good review of the game should have a seperate score for the multiplayer portion.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It doesn't say anything about bugs or polish. The lows are like the same as d3.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 12:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:
I'm actually not caring a whole lot about the single player, which I think would be the main thing reviewers look at. IMO a good review of the game should have a seperate score for the multiplayer portion.

Hmmm... Why? Games have been shipping with MP for years, why should it be different just because its Quake? Most reviews take both into account.

Things will become obvious once a REAL READABLE review or scan comes out. Until then, we are all forced to wait :(

DooMer wrote:
It doesn't say anything about bugs or polish. The lows are like the same as d3.

While that is true, this IS raven. "Lets make that wall there thats 1 foot high use a 2048x2048 texture and lets make this player model here use a 512x512 head texture but a 256x256 body texture". They also cant seem to polish levels, i.e. lots of z-fighting, odd looking texturing, lots of bugs...

But you are right, its got the same lows as Doom 3... So why the low score... Something must be REALLY bad for an id game to score so badly...

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Hmmm... Why? Games have been shipping with MP for years, why should it be different just because its Quake? Most reviews take both into account.

Most of the times MP is just slapped onto a game as an afterthought. Quake 4 has a distinctly different MP portion, which is comparable to the situation with RTCW. I can't remember seeing any (printed) reviews for that game, but I think it would make sense to seperate reviews for sp and mp.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 01:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First real review of Quake 4 online:

http://ualuealuealeuale.ytmnd.com/

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 02:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmmmmmmm

Hard to belive
FEAR is abit poo, HL2 owned it
u would have thought at least 80%...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pfffft...I'm still buying it. :icon31:

Last edited by [MgA]RockCrusher on 10-10-2005 12:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^
what he said

Back & Forth
Back & Forth
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 08:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ill still enjoy it.

but i guess this kind of is the end of a legend huh?

Quake3 being the last great hit.

although tbh, that quake wars E3 trailer got me abit excited.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 11:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VoxProminence wrote:
ill still enjoy it.

but i guess this kind of is the end of a legend huh?

Quake3 being the last great hit.

although tbh, that quake wars E3 trailer got me abit excited.

Because Quake Wars looks like the next step. Amazing, STUNNING design of the strogg, bold new steps in gameplay for a Quake game... In other words, it was the game we know and love, with the update it deserved.

Quake 4 is Doom 3. With a new logo. And bright pink/orange/yellow/green strogg. WHY?

I dunno, i know ill enjoy Quake 4. Riddick got slammed in some reviews too, and thats my all time fave FPS TBH.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't care what any reviewer writes about it. I'm not that much interested in Q4's Single Player either. I'll play it, sure, but it's not the main reason why I'll be getting it.

For me it's the multiplayer. I think that's true for most of the people who still play Q3 or have been avid Q3 or Q2 players in the past.

Even if the SP is utter tripe I'll still get it for the MP.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if the MP is the same as q3 with a lot of old maps rebuilt, i'll pass on that too.
come up with something new, it has been 9 years already. bitches

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 01:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
if the MP is the same as q3 with a lot of old maps rebuilt, i'll pass on that too.

Why? Many of us enjoyed the fast and simple multiplayer of Q3 and this should be exactly what I've been hoping for: the speed and fun of Q3 with updated graphics. Personally, I'm not expecting any more of it. They have said its going to be like Q3 just like id said that Doom3 was simply a Doom remake. Some of us don't need or want a ton of options to our games and id games have nicely filled the niche of a game you can sit down with for 15 mins, have some fun, then walk away from.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 01:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I don't care what any reviewer writes about it. I'm not that much interested in Q4's Single Player either. I'll play it, sure, but it's not the main reason why I'll be getting it.

For me it's the multiplayer. I think that's true for most of the people who still play Q3 or have been avid Q3 or Q2 players in the past.

Even if the SP is utter tripe I'll still get it for the MP.

Sums up my sentiments exactly

The only reviewer I give the time of day is Jonanthan Ross, and i doubt he'll be reviewing quake4

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 02:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
MKJ wrote:

Why? Many of us enjoyed the fast and simple multiplayer of Q3 and this should be exactly what I've been hoping for: the speed and fun of Q3 with updated graphics. Personally, I'm not expecting any more of it. They have said its going to be like Q3 just like id said that Doom3 was simply a Doom remake. Some of us don't need or want a ton of options to our games and id games have nicely filled the niche of a game you can sit down with for 15 mins, have some fun, then walk away from.

too bad the doom remake wasnt a remake at all, but thats beside the point

updated graphics? the first thing most people will most likely do is turn on picmip 234873 or similar. im not saying they should reinvent the wheel, i also dont mind them making q4 mp like q3. but using the same sounds, 2d gfx and even maps is just retarded.
they couldve just made a HD mappack for q3 and people would prolly be just as excited. (although a lot of the excitement comes from the number 4 ).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 02:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
too bad the doom remake wasnt a remake at all, but thats beside the point

updated graphics? the first thing most people will most likely do is turn on picmip 234873 or similar. im not saying they should reinvent the wheel, i also dont mind them making q4 mp like q3. but using the same sounds, 2d gfx and even maps is just retarded.
they couldve just made a HD mappack for q3 and people would prolly be just as excited. (although a lot of the excitement comes from the number 4 ).

While those points are valid, it's also true that Q3 is dying, and to get a new MP game that was as popular as Q3 with Q3 gameplay, you need a new title, and Q4 is best fit for that.

As for people turning graphics down, that could be, but I won't. I've always played Q3 at full GFX and that's what I will do with Q4 as well (ahem, as far as my computer allows it that is, which probably means I'll be running it at picmip 234873 anyway:olo: ).

As for the maps, there's only 3 maps from previous titles, the rest is new, so the old maps is more of a nod back to those games than that the MP is just a copy of old material.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everyone is looking at this all wrong. If your judging it on whats going to be new, your going to be disapointed.

What i want from quake4 is quake3 on a slicker engine, more maps, network tweaks and polish. Quake3 was not like most other games, there is no real story line, its basicly a sporting game. To give shit to q4 for not being inovative or taking chances is like saying soccer or football sucks this year cause nothing is different. Its that simple, quake3 was a game that became a online MP sport, so if its re-incarnation in quake4 MP is not vastly different, then thats fine with me. When you fuck with perfection you end up messing it up and to me, quake3 was perfect.

But once i was finaly able to split the atom
i built me some bombs and droped them on every mother fucker that got in my way."

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, don't forget that even though it's just q3 with a better engine mp-wise, it' will draw alot of activity to the game.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iccy (temp) wrote:
To give shit to q4 for not being inovative or taking chances is like saying soccer or football sucks this year cause nothing is different.

told. q3 is the game that get's closest to 1on1 deathmach perfection.

and besides. even if you liked HL 2, you have to admit that it was not all that revolutionary. it was just a very polished shooter with some gimmicky innovations (physics).

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake4 won't have bots to play against ?
tell me this ain't so

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there'll be custom bots i guess.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 09:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This post at pcgamer deserves the gold :
Quote:
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:07 pm
Wow, are you all blind? QUAKE IV WON'T BE OUT FOR MONTHES, SO HOW THE HELL COULD PCG HAVE REVIEWED IT???

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea :p

the whole thread aint too bright

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 09:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FUCK

Quote:
Just so nobody here blows a spleen or anything, here's the deal: Quake 4 is reviewed in our December issue. It's the one with Neverwinter Nights 2 on the cover. It's not actually supposed to hit newsstands until October 18th, but I guess some places have been getting it early.

:(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.