Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Any word on player model support?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Any word on player model support?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any news at all? The videos who multiple (loads) of player models to pick from, but at the end of the day is this going to be;

Doom 3 like; Fuck off, no custom content at all!

Quake 3 like; You can only use a player model if the server has it, which wasn't great...

Quake 2 like; On map change, everybody downloaded the new model/skin set (would be great if an option came up like "Would you like to download this model?" with a small preview pic of it, contained in the file.) Or you could just turn off auto download in the menu.

It really sucked in Quake 3 because it killed off player models really. And Doom 3 didn't even let you use them.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 04:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The coolest game for content recently is Trackmania. Due to the way the game was structured, graphically rich levels took up mere Kb of disc space. As a result, online games consisted of joining any old server and *always* getting a brand new level to play on.

That was cool.

Unfortunately due to the nature of FPS games/engines, we're talking a lot more bandwidth used to transfer files if this was the case.

Nevertheless, I'd still like to see it. Join a server, be given a list of required and optional files. Required files get downloaded before you start, optional files either before you start or stream in during play....

Yeah, that'd rock.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 04:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

autodownload q2 like? no thanks, i'd rather have some cool models running around than Papa Smurf and yet another Darth Vader

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 04:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
autodownload q2 like? no thanks, i'd rather have some cool models running around than Papa Smurf and yet another Darth Vader

Yeah but at least you know your playing a retard if they use papa smurf.

And fuck off you can NOT tell me a normal mapped papa smurf wouldn't rock :D (only with new sounds like)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 04:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I at least wouldn't mind a custom SKIN option then, so you can make custom skins for models ;) Just because I'm a freak who likes white armor ;)

Anyways, remember that md5 models do NOT need to contain animation files anymore, so the models/skin pack would be very small. They can load existing animation sets that ship with the game ;)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 05:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3's way of things is probably a good way to counter homemade spiked models (or even skins with silly deformvertexes parameters that essentially make them spiked).
I doubt many servers admins would allow these, even on pub FFAs.

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the whole point of the Q3 way of doing it was to make sure people wouldn't use spiked or invisible models, although an option to first ask for conformation before downloading a model would be a good solution for that. I doubt it'll work like that though.

Frag-Muff
Frag-Muff
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My assumption has been that it'd work the same way it does in Doom 3. Has there been any kind of hint from Raven or id about it?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 10:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They ain't saying shit :(

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 10:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, nothing. And Doom 3 had horrid support for PPMs... So we may as well all get used to playing as that one cool looking model that will ship with the game...

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 11:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stop being so negative :)

Frag-Muff
Frag-Muff
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OOTB PPMs are no problem. I'd like to be able to chuck in my own skins though.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 11:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chiQ wrote:
OOTB PPMs are no problem. I'd like to be able to chuck in my own skins though.

Yup. As i was saying, I'm a freak and I love to play with a white skin.

For QW, I used the white ranger. For Quake 2, I used a grey marine. For Quake 3, i wanted ot use a white/grey doomguy, but ended up using blue sarge, and for Quake 4 i would LOVE to play as a marine with white armour. I may have to settle for a medic, but i want a face :p

Swiller of Beer
Swiller of Beer
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

surely they won't leave the skinners with nothing to do :(

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-11-2005 01:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dukester wrote:
surely they won't leave the skinners with nothing to do :(

:shrug:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.