Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        IGN Reviews Quake 4...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: IGN Reviews Quake 4...

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-13-2005 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Discuss.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 10-13-2005 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No commentary at all regarding performance issues (or even the specs of the test machine). Fags. Seriously, does anyone pay attention to IGN game reviews? (besides Pschye911, of course)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-13-2005 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Christ, Hannibal. I never said I paid attention to them. It's the only review up yet.

There's even a thread in this subforum looking for a review of the game. Well, here one is. :dork:

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-13-2005 08:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

14 maps plus a single player doesn't sound lacking at all. lol at over 16 players in a quake game. It's not limited because of the xbox version, its because of performance issues.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 10-13-2005 08:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

relax Cool Breeze, I added that bit simply to avoid having some retard reply with "Well Psyche911 obviously does". :icon25:

There used to be publications that I felt I could trust, game review wise, but over the past couple of years, I've sort of lost faith in most of them. Are there any good independent, serious voices left in the review industry? Of late, I tend to only listen to a few other gaming friends whose judgement I trust.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-13-2005 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
My only gripe with 5 CTF maps is that after all these years and releases of Quake I was hoping they'd put some more energy into CTF and showcase it for once after shafting us every time thus far ;)

Leaving it up to us modders yet again...

So, it should be ready a week before Quake 5 is released, right? ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-13-2005 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hate to admit it, but I find the latest unreal game tempting.

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what? Unreal 2?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 12:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
My only gripe with 5 CTF maps is that after all these years and releases of Quake I was hoping they'd put some more energy into CTF and showcase it for once after shafting us every time thus far ;)

Leaving it up to us modders yet again...
Actually, the low number of official Quake1 and Quake2 CTF maps was a blessing.

Compare that to Quake3 CTF.....meh (The most critical error was that maps had to be compatible with the official bots)

There were quite a few well-made/balanced CTF maps for Q1/Q2 but alas most of the developers bailed out when they saw what was done to Q3 CTF play.

If Quake4 CTF gameplay is close to what Q2 was, I'll cough up a decent NON-SYMMETRICAL map for people to play on.

I'm sure that we could draw a few awesome mappers back into the fold as well.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 01:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
14 maps plus a single player doesn't sound lacking at all. lol at over 16 players in a quake game. It's not limited because of the xbox version, its because of performance issues.
14? The review says it has 9 maps. Even it is 14, i think Q4 MP will lean heavily on custom maps, which is probably a good thing. :)

You'd have to be nuts to buy Q4 for the xbox 360 for MP btw (no custom maps possible).

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 02:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This review is funny.
The reviewer goes on about how quake is a mp franchise, still his review of the mp is as streamlined as he says the MP is.

OTOH it's not easy to review multiplayer gameplay when you have no bots to scrim with, while there are no internet servers and you might not even be on lan with other people allowed to play it (apparently... they were two testers).

IMO the better reviews (of the mp) will come when the game has actually been out and it gets much easier to setup games.

As for the sp, I think he has several points. In any case, there's no denying enemy/friendly AI sucks, just look at the gameplay videos.

There's one other good thing though, the many screenshots of the sp campaign (save for the 3 screenshots of a duel on Xaero Gravity aka q3tourney6).
It confirms to me that the only thing that will feel like quake will be how it plays in mp. It doesn't look id at all (obviously). More importantly, it doesn't look like Quake 2, or for that matter, Quakish, at all.

The more I looked at screenshots in the past months, the more I could see where o'dium was going with his ideas on the visuals. The art direction on characters and weapons at least is really ... ew.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 02:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sad there are no updated shot of Q4's "edge" remake...

I'm not THAT fussed about the lack of MP maps. Quake 2 had what, 8? And look how popular that was. Sometimes its BETTER to have few maps. I mean look at Quake 3, a load of maps, 90% of which dont get played?

Its a shame they didn't do a q3dm6 out of the box. Why, i will NEVER know. Why do Xearo when you could of done that? It will get made by somebody but thats just it; 90 different versions of the same map that none of which will be played "seriously".

They really have took a few wrong turns here. It amazes me why id/raven just did not listen to "anything".

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 03:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For an even more edifying map number story, everyone just remember ut2k3 which had like what, 30 dm maps ?
In the end only asbestos, antalus and compressed remained (until the bonus packs which had a much better amount/quality ratio came by).

PostPosted: 10-14-2005 03:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

better with a small number of good maps, than a lot of crappy ones

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the guy wrote a pretty shitty review. He said he's been playing id games since the beginning, but he doesn't focus on any of the things that most id fans would have. Instead he reviewed it like it was a movie. The MP was limited to a couple blurb paragraphs, with no mention of weapons, weapon balance, skill or anything like that.

I'm looking forward to some reviews by real Quakers to give me a better idea of how the game is.

Thanks for the link though Psyche, I still enjoy reading anything I can get my hands on about the game. :icon14:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man, he could like, play multiplayer only with an extra guy according to his screenshots. That's not much fun for testing, especially not for figuring out how the game works with many people, how ctf and arena ctf are, etc.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stop whining about the amount of maps, this is a perfect chance for mappers to actually get som publicity for custom maps. :)

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hemostick wrote:
Man, he could like, play multiplayer only with an extra guy according to his screenshots. That's not much fun for testing, especially not for figuring out how the game works with many people, how ctf and arena ctf are, etc.

It also doesn't sound like he spent much time playing with the server configs.

I imagine he started a MP game through the GUI with his partner and that's how they played. Which isn't much indication of the game's abilities at all, if it's anything like all the other id games.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 06:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its a nice hint though, that one should polish the UI better

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rook : yep, that's quite blatant :/

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 10-15-2005 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the lack of MP maps is great, look how many MP maps are now for Q3, Thousands. I'm pretty sure we will have enough MP maps to around shortly after the release of Q4

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-16-2005 04:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
At any rate, a couple of the maps stand out, particularly Xaero

Someone who thinks Xaero (q3tourney6) is the best map cannot be taken seriously.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-16-2005 04:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Azer wrote:
Quote:
At any rate, a couple of the maps stand out, particularly Xaero

Someone who thinks Xaero (q3tourney6) is the best map cannot be taken seriously.

Word up, homo.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.