Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake III reviews..

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake III reviews..

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 05:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know, I was surfing some gaming websites today and I found a link of some ratings q3 got when it was released in 1999..

IGN 9.3 / 10 Dec 10, 1999

GamePro 3 / 5 Dec 15, 1999

Computer & Video Games UK 9 / 10 Aug 15, 2001

Game Zone 7.1 / 10 Jan 20, 2000

Gaming Age A- Jan 4, 2000

Game Revolution C+ Dec 29, 1999

Avault 3.5 / 5 Dec 22, 1999

Eurogamer 9 / 10 Dec 16, 1999

...as you can see, the reviews range from 60 to 93% and it even got a C+ from game revolution...lol.

So I guess it all depends on who's the noob reviewing it and as we can see, a rating of 70% for a quake game is nothing new.

hmmm...q4 could be the greatest game ever, kids..and you heard it here first :icon14:

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 05:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As Doomer put it, Q3 needs years of gaming to appreciate it accordingly. Other games don't give you that. They are about instant gratification. 4+ years of Q3 and I still find new ways of playing it. :up:

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 05:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here are some quotes by another clueless moron who reviwed q3..

"The levels have obviously been designed with gameplay in mind - most of them are great fun to play in. However, the game seems to focus on levels that are great for only six to ten players"

Another 64+ player spamfest tard-o-meter addict??

"Unfortunately, capture the flag seems almost like an afterthought. There are only four CTF levels included in the game, and all of them seem suited to smaller teams."

Sounds like q4's review all over again..back to the future?

"But the real problem with the audio is the announcer, who says things like "five minutes remaining" or "impressive" when applicable. Id obviously tried to duplicate the sound and style of the announcer's menacing voice from the Mortal Kombat games."

rofl...nerd alert??

"All things considered, it isn't a stretch to call Quake III Arena an outstanding game. But whether it's superior to its rival Unreal Tournament is less certain."

..yeah right and I'll be delivering gifts with Rudolph on December 25th...stoopid reviewers.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 06:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unreal is the gayest game ever made... where's that Cliffy cam when you need it!

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 06:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Unreal is the gayest game ever made... where's that Cliffy cam when you need it!

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 06:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol I think he called the q3w people faggots once...

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:

"But the real problem with the audio is the announcer, who says things like "five minutes remaining" or "impressive" when applicable. Id obviously tried to duplicate the sound and style of the announcer's menacing voice from the Mortal Kombat games."

lol. I remember having a pak3 that fucked with the announcer voice to say shit like "Homofest ends in 5 minutes", "You lost the lead nipple dick". Can't remember what it was called but it was good for a laugh.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 06:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
lol I think he called the q3w people faggots once...

yeah I remember that one..can't find it anywhere though

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 10-14-2005 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh yeah, q3 got some underwhelming reviews back then, whil it was the best game EVER.

You've opened my eyes Duhard *kiss*

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-15-2005 03:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was going to post the exact same thing Duhard. Q3 was slated by a lot of mags simply because it was an action FPS that was pretty much MP only. Not only that, the original Q3 DM experience wasn't at the level it is today, thanks to new maps and mods like OSP etc...

The one thing Q3 did impress with was the graphics, as it was a mini-revolution back then. We've already had D3 so we know all too well what the engine is capable of.

The only reviewer I truly trust is myself.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-15-2005 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good points, Duhard.
I didn't even remember how well :q3: ranked in "reviews."

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-15-2005 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
As Doomer put it, Q3 needs years of gaming to appreciate it accordingly. Other games don't give you that. They are about instant gratification. 4+ years of Q3 and I still find new ways of playing it. :up:

My first multiplayer game, and pretty much my first FPS was q3 :p

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-15-2005 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry,spacebar..is..broken..

but..i..remember..q3..getting..a..weak..review..in..pcgamer..or..pcworld...or..
something..stating..the..AI..was..too..hard..rofl

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 10-15-2005 08:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bwahahahah

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-17-2005 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You better buy a new keyboard before playing Q4 ;)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-17-2005 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal wrote:
Duhard wrote:
lol. I remember having a pak3 that fucked with the announcer voice to say shit like "Homofest ends in 5 minutes", "You lost the lead nipple dick". Can't remember what it was called but it was good for a laugh.

hahahahaha, that's awesome.

I've never heard of that before. If you track it down, post the link.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 12:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

q4 will need a good few months before we know if it will take off, but i dont think it has much choice. Whats everyone else going to play online? I think its more than likely going to take off BIG, especially since MP is based on the q3 MP style.

BRING IT ON.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.