Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Q4 in-game videos, no more monster closets!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q4 in-game videos, no more monster closets!

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 04:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure how many of these have been posted.

http://bad.qgl.org/video/eoc.bad_q4singleplayer.avi
http://bad.qgl.org/video/eoc.bad_vs_rocket_q2dm1.avi
http://bad.qgl.org/video/eoc.bad_q4arenactf.avi
http://bad.qgl.org/video/eoc.bad_q4ctf.avi
http://bad.qgl.org/video/eoc.bad_q2dm1_run.avi

Check out eoc.bad_q4singleplayer.avi first, the gameplay looks good. They acctually run out of places instead of appearing from walls/corners. The environment is not dark at all and there is more space in general. It's linear but it looks like fun.

They still have that stupid effect where the body disintegrates, but it's green instead of orange this time.

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 04:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

eoc.bad_vs_rocket_q2dm1.avi shows off the map really well but the guy is a complete noob (edit: acctually he get's better, I figured he couldn't climb a crate but it appears there is no double jump or he doesn't know how to do it), it's quake2 all over again. Megahealth is in a different place now.

Last edited by shiznit on 10-18-2005 04:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 04:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seen a few of them before, but a couple were new. Thx.

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man watching eoc.bad_vs_rocket_q2dm1.avi, looks so much like quake3. It's going to be good :)

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what do people think after watching some of these videos, imo the game looks good.

Quake2 + Quake3 + Industrial Look = Quake4

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The single player vid looked good, the gameplay seems fast and actionpacked, good stuff. I liked how they did the interfacing with the AA canon.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake2 wasnt industrial enough for ya? :o

(im getting only 40k/s from those links btw.. is it me?)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked the fact you dont collect spinning bright green balls of nothing for health. Thank fuck its different models in MP and SP or some things. Things lay flat or against the world, not floating in mid air. Good stuff. Doom 3 did this too, but its MP was horrid because the health was so hard to see.

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
quake2 wasnt industrial enough for ya? :o

(im getting only 40k/s from those links btw.. is it me?)

I'm getting 151 KB/s, I think it's you? Quake2 was industrial but with the new effects/reflective effects it looks more like metal in Quake4.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
I liked the fact you dont collect spinning bright green balls of nothing for health. Thank fuck its different models in MP and SP or some things. Things lay flat or against the world, not floating in mid air. Good stuff. Doom 3 did this too, but its MP was horrid because the health was so hard to see.

I can't think of a single game where in the SP they had health and ammo boxes floating a la Q3. And to be honest, I think the way they've done it in Q3 was pretty neat :D

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't UT2K4 have a similar effect?

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bah I have a lecture now, stupid real life.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shiznit wrote:

aye

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so anyways, just watched that edge movie.

i wish they added 2 or 3 jumping sounds per model. it feels so stale now.
the footsteps also still sound like theplayer has 10 feet, like in doom3 :(

oh and -63 health? how hard is it to make the hud never show negative numbers? its one step off showing decimals >:E
or remove hud alltogether when you die. i liked the way you died in q3, in thirdperson et al

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 06:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shiznit wrote:

Note the "where in the SP" part of the sentence.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shiznit wrote:
It's linear but it looks like fun.

Shit. I really hate linear leveldesign. I hope it isn´t as bad as HL2 or even Unreal2, and that there´s at least some sidetracking and backtracking.

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

noooo not backtracking! I hate it when you have cleared a whole part of a level and then are forced to backtrack, only to find that it's been infested again by enemies.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:
noooo not backtracking! I hate it when you have cleared a whole part of a level and then are forced to backtrack, only to find that it's been infested again by enemies.

What with magic doors that would not open before but now slide easily..., and enemies that appear from pretty much nowhere?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To those of us who haven't got it yet, heres a new trailer:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/016/016856/vids_1.html

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking annoying footsteps.. :icon33:

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
r3t wrote:

What with magic doors that would not open before but now slide easily..., and enemies that appear from pretty much nowhere?

indeed... I must admit that was one of the things I didn't like about Doom 3.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I would like it more if they put a little thought into it. You know, its a PPL engine so you cant tell if something is gonna move or not...

Why do i have to backtrack along a huge walkway to a door that was locked before and is now suddenly open?

Wouldn't it be cooler if i backtracked over to that dor and have the wall explode with something come through it attacking me? Like how the trench coat dude did in Resi 2?

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or like the pinky in the Doom 3 alfa... a missed opportunity :tear:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:

Yeah, what was he used three times the entire game? That guy has power, punch through some walls!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:
Fucking annoying footsteps.. :icon33:

agreed,
but rest of the game looks good.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:

yeah that's still bugging me. There were so many cool things done in the alpha and none of that made it into the final game. Real shame.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:

Without any backtracking levels would be completely linear and always only offer one boring straight line in one direction for the player to go.

What you obviously don´t like is badly implemented backtracking, where you have to go the same long way back again, and face a bunch of fershly spawned monsters. But there are many ways to do it, not only the dead-end method! You can create all kinds of loops and stuff to re-enter previous areas, without using deadends. Just look at Quake1/2 SP and there are plenty of examples for well done backtracking.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah in Q2 there were a lot of splits. You entered one area, had to go left to perform action A or grab a key or something, then return to the central area, go into the right area, do something there and then continue on your path. Those are things that are good.

Another interesting thing is to re-enter the same area but in a different part of that area. Like in Q2, in the 2nd map you come to the blown up bridge. Then you go into the sewers, play through the sewers and end up at the other end of the bridge. I like that kind of stuff:icon14:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 11:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10 to 1 you have to restore power at least twice in this game

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser, that´s exactly what I mean :icon14: I hope the level design will be like this in Quake4.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
10 to 1 you have to restore power at least twice in this game

by bringing power down in another part of the map and transferring it through "power cubes".... next millennium's fuses :icon14:

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can someone please record some more videos? I would really like to see some more gameplay singleplayer or multiplayer. Thnx

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
the footsteps also still sound like theplayer has 10 feet, like in doom3 :(
LoL, a good description. I put some comments in another thread but it belongs here so i'll paste it here too.

Just watched the movie of the duel on the q2dm1 remake. Things i noticed:

- those guys both suck. :icon30:

- the footstep sounds are annoying, particularly when the player makes small moves/stops/starts running, changes direction. When he's moving forward and adds strafe, it's like an extra set of feet starts making footsteps. Imagine how it would sound when dodging or moving in small cirlces. :icon7: Hopefully it will be possible to disable them (like dmflags 32) on a server.

- the RL seems ok, perhaps the rockets are only a slight tad slower than in Q3.

- the Hyperblaster makes a LOT of noise and sounds more like a heavy machine gun. It seems to be more useful than the one in Q2 though (fast projectiles).

- i like the wireframes that indicate ammo box spawn places.

- the HUD seems reasonably unobtrusive.

- most of the weapon model get much too close to the crosshair. :( At least with the fov used in the movie.

- LG ammo is no longer called lightning in a box, but 'batteries'. :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Disabling footsteps altogether will not be nice for 1v1 games... You need to hear the opponent. But I agree, the footsteps are annoyingly loud as is.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.