Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        A n00b's impressions of Quake 4

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: A n00b's impressions of Quake 4

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Admittedly, I didn't play play Quake 3 online. I never did have a copy, but I got to play it at LAN parties with my friends and enjoyed it. I owned Quake 1 and 2, and loved them to death. Particularly, I loved Quake II's singleplayer campaign (and I was thirlled that the DVD edition of Q4 comes with Quake 2 and both expansions). I approached Quake 4 with a certain amount of nostalgia, and was honestly mostly hoping for the Q2 SP, the Q3 MP, with better graphics. I pre-ordered through EB-Games, and my copy was on my doorstep this morning. Without thinking, I decided I would install it and give it a go, and just go into work late (Hey, you gotta set your priorities right).

The single player campaign starts off with you boarding a ship with the rest of your squad. You blast off to head for the Strogg planet, just moments after the 'lone soldier' kills the strogg leader and takes out the planetary defesne guns, a la' Quake 2. The ship takes a hit and crash lands, and you awake in the middle of a fire fight. The game does a good job at creating a realistic atmosphere. You can see huge walkers in the distance obliterating other marines, smoke eminating from some unknown wreckage in the distance, and theres burts of gunfire erupting occaisionally. You get introduced to some of the other members of the squad and participate in a few scripted events. This style of narrative, interactive gameplay involving a cohesive squad reminds me a lot of the feel of a more interactive Call of Duty, which is definately a good thing. I have heard a lot of bitching from reviewers about the enemy AI, but personally I was very pleased. The enemies would duck back for cover if any was available, and different enemies had different tactics. Things you were familiar with from Quake 2, with some cool addditions (the guy with the blade hand can now roll towards you at a faster speed when in close range).

The graphics are great, are more varied and, thankfully, more well lit than Doom 3. The models look fantastic, notably the strogg. All the animations looks wonderful and are very fluid. I very much believe that having the realistic shadows add a great dynamic to the gameplay, as you can often times see an opponent coming if you're observant enough. The environment looks great and manages to 'work' very well, albeit its not quite as intricate and Doom 3, which I think is good for faster, more dynamic action. In multiplayer the graphics are also very good. The levels, as you can tell from screenshots, are not incredibly detailed and flashy, which again, does well to gear the game towards fast moving, fluid action. You simply dont have time to walk around looking at shiny things.

From the short time I got to play the multiplayer, it felt very much like Q3 to me, even having not played it much myself. It was fast, theres a lot of movement tricks involved, and the physics felt the same. It's not quite as 'all over the place' as Q3, as it seems like much of the 'push' from splash damage weapons has been toned down. This is going to be very familiar territory for all of you whom have been playing Q3 for a while, which I think can only be a good thing (if it isn't broke, don't fix it).

I think this game is going to be a fantastic platform for mods. The MP possibilities are already well known, i'd guess, but in particular I think people will do great things with the SP possibilities as well. The 'squad' AI, and its ability to interact with the player, as well as having weapon mods, provides a pretty awesome base from which to create from.

To sum up, I would definately give this game a 9/10 without hesitation. The gameplay is tried and true, and will be a hit with people who like Quake, and what it stands for. I've enjoyed every aspect of the game so far, and find it a very successful followup to a fantastic series. Viva La Quake!

Anyway, those are my impressions as a n00b. (And first time poster.. :paranoid: )

-edited for corrections-

Last edited by nefariousD on 10-18-2005 07:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welcome and thanks for the review. :icon14:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well said Rook

Thanks for taking the time to post a good length review sir :)

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
Welcome and thanks for the review. :icon14:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pretty much exactly what i was hoping to hear. thx!

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good review :icon14:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah awesome to read the stuff you wrote. Man I'm getting so psyched for this game. Can't wait until it's out here! :(

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are we ppl in Europe suck or sumthing? -.-
QQ QQ i want Q4 :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Madvil wrote:
Are we ppl in Europe suck or sumthing? -.-
QQ QQ i want Q4 :(

It's very common for Europe to lag behind a bit on game releases. I think Quake 4 should be available in europe by the end of this week. That's not nearly as bad as Team Arena, which was released well over a month later here in Europe than in the US. Bastards.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I WANT QUAKE4 NOW DAMMIT! GIMME Q4 ERASR PERISH!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet Fatality has it at his home, near the fireplace :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.