Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Is there actually a reason for no mp bots?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Is there actually a reason for no mp bots?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could they just not be bothered?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Human resources, deadline, and time constraints.

Obviously.

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I heard it was not possible on the pc, the 360 should have bots.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Raven could have very easily added bots, so perhaps they delayed adding bots in an attempt to intice more people to try online play, its quite addictive u know :icon29:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shiznit wrote:
I heard it was not possible on the pc, the 360 should have bots.

Dont be stupid, thats leaning. Everybody knows that leaning is impossible in First person games. Willits said so.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe we get bost later with a point release.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Raven could have very easily added bots

Do you have any idea what a bitch it is to write a good MP bot?

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No I don't think you guys understand it because you don't know how it works. I do because I understand how it all works. Remember id software could not get co-op on the pc but could get it on the xbox? Same thing here, it’s simply impossible for Raven to do it. Computers are simply not smart enough, maybe if we had skynet.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 02:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sarcasm?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
Jenny wrote:
Raven could have very easily added bots

Do you have any idea what a bitch it is to write a good MP bot?

Yes. (i'm not implying they're easy to make)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 03:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

who needs bots anyway? why play a bot when there's a whole community out there to play against?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats stupid Eraser and you know it. :p
Not everyone has a good connection.
Also, we need bots for all the custom maps we create that no one gives a shit about.

PostPosted: 10-18-2005 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And for playing while our connection is under heavy use :ninja:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And just for practicing....

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, I think the bots are really helpful for level development, helps you see where to optimise and stuff. waiting for the oak Bots to come out for Q4. Maybe I'll trundle on over there now and see if there's any news.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
They tried to entice Steve Polge to do some consulting work. Their inducements included round the clock male strippers and a solid gold telephone, so *BIG SUPRISE* he declined.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems like a lot of work for a very small percentage of people who will actually miss them.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't care for playing bots, but I'm sure there are people who do.

If Raven or id looked at the online servers to get an idea, they probably decided nobody uses them since they're disabled on most good servers.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah but bots are for offline play primarily.

Being able to have a deathmatch in single player adds a whole extra element to the game, besides the single player campaign. It's seperate from the online multiplayer in terms of gameplay because bots are fun, just not in the same way as playing online.

Also, you can't judge how popular bots are in most games, because they're primarily played against offline.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, that was kinda my point. :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

although if you want to get familiar with online play, its good to have a bot or two to go against so you can sus out the play online with the impact of ping, rather than in sp....

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cause human opponents are more challenging....
....well most of the time :p

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 05:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
Yea, that was kinda my point. :)

I just reread your post and I really missed the gist of what you were saying, sorry :icon32:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inolen wrote:
It seems like a lot of work for a very small percentage of people who will actually miss them.
I'd say it's the other way around... if you think about the number of units that Quake 3 shifted compared to the number of players that were online at any given moment, you'd be looking at max 10% of units sold (specualtive observation of course). What are the other 90% doing [insert smutty joke here]?

beep
beep
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
inolen wrote:
I'd say it's the other way around... if you think about the number of units that Quake 3 shifted compared to the number of players that were online at any given moment, you'd be looking at max 10% of units sold (specualtive observation of course). What are the other 90% doing [insert smutty joke here]?
Well it's not like all 100% of the people who bought Q3 are playing at the same time. You could say that 10% are playing online, 85% aren't playing, and 5% playing offline at any given moment. It's hard to estimate how many people actually play with bots.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wasn't exactly implying that they played the game at the same time (server overload!) but more so commenting on a more 'global' numbers game. I've noticed over the years that gamers that do play online take it for granted (don't give it a second thought) and often assume *everyone* does, or if not then why not "they must be crazy".

Aside from all that, from my understanding 'bots', in whatever capacity, are actually rare in games in general, they should be on the endangered animals list.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know a lot of people who have a copy of quake 3 since 1999/2000...and they played maybe few times online....rest of time they play offline....

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.