Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        o'dium's mini Quake 4 review :D (With pics)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: o'dium's mini Quake 4 review :D (With pics)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 04:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I have it, at last...

Ok, where to start. First of all, i'd like to say a kick ass job on the UI front. Its really well done and there are a LOT of things that people have been asking for. I did a little smile when i
saw a few things ;) Old Quake 2 taunts are back (4 taunts now, not one), clan tags, rail and name colours, as well as a whole host of custom crosshair support, so you can tweak it as

much as you want (Size, shape, colour, alpha, and whether its the same for every weapon or each weapon is different.)

And so i begin.

Loading MP, I instantly loaded The Edge of course. Wow, its not AMAZING to look at, the level is quite bland in a few areas I have to say. But the frame rate at Ultra in 1280x1024 was

superb. It just FEELS like Quake. I could strafe jump around the map in no time, and the weapons all feel and work well. REALLY WELL. You know that stuff about "well they look

odd...?". FORGET IT. They are perfect. The MP is gonna own you guys so much, REALLY. But that’s not the best part.

Single Player.

HARD MODE GUYS. Trust me, its hard, but not impossible hard, its fun.

I loaded it and after that nice intro which i can now see (Thanks), I arrive on Stroggos with a bad head and a shoddy blaster... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... I don’t think ANY

id game has ever had THIS MUCH STUFF GOING ON. Its crazy, ships fighting in the air, explosions everywhere... Crazy stuff. The battles with the Strogg (which look good in motion)

are great and I have to say the animation is some of the best in a game I’ve seen too. I stopped at the level exit, and the first level took me about 15mins to do. It consisted of me going

in, finding another team, going back for my medic, and then going back again. In this short but fun trip you will see 3 types of Strogg, and a few secrets ;)

ITS FUN.

To sum it up (sorry i have work at 9 tomorrow morning and its nearly 2am now), its a fucking fantastic game that really was well wroth the wait so far. As far as i can see this just

screams "instant classic at me. That pc gamer guy was on fucking crack I tell you, this not only goes over what HL2 did, it pisses all over it and then gibbs it into 27 pieces.

See you online fella's.

P.S. Here are a couple of new pics (ignore the low frame rate in some, its because i pressed it twice and it had a spaz lol):

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_1.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_2.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_3.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_4.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_5.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_6.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_7.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_8.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_9.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_10.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_11.jpg[/lvlshot]

Guys it looks so good in motion. The physics are improved, a LOT of stuff moves now. But damn are the rag dolls fucked still...

FUCK YOU WORK. AND FUCK YOU GOOD WILL FOR NOT MAKING ME CALL IN SICK.

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice pics, hope you don't change your mind tomorow :P

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welcome to the real world o'dium.

PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice pics for sure, i think i'm gonna spend the hole week-end just to play it....

Back & Forth
Back & Forth
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cant wait. Canada doesnt get it till Thursday tho :(

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium, apart from the tweaks you mentioned, are there commands for changing enemy model and colour? I remember reading a long time ago at q3w that it probably wouldn't be possible due to the engine or something, but I was wondering if anything had changed.
And no picmip right?

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No drum, no.

I'm at the part where I just got stroggified. Game fucking owns so far, in every aspect. I can't believe this got a 70. Maybe it gets shitty near the end, but so far it's great.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

odium's host blown up?

beep
beep
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye, pictures won't load.
Good to hear it's kicking ass so far... I can't wait to see Q2 and Q3 map conversions!!

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blakjack wrote:
odium's host blown up?

No, he warez'd it and ID found out.. so they killed him.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

s'all good now

Strogger Than You
Strogger Than You
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it just me that notices how well Quake 4 runs on older computers?

I've got an AMD 2300+, 512 MB of ram, and a Geforce 4 MMX; yet I still get a constant 25 fps when playing at 1024x768 @ Ultra quality; 16xAA and specular, bumpmapping, etc enabled.

:D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 08:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice work odium

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This SP game is fucking wonderful, and more than worth the wait. I've been playing it all night, and wouldn't have stopped if it wasn't already past my bedtime and got work tomorrow.

The pacing is awesome, the enemies are great, the animations rock... I've got nothing but good to say about this game so far (aside from a minor bug/glitch I ran across, but that was taken care of easily enough). I've been driving the hovertank for the last 15 minutes or so, and that was superb. Tons of shit going on all over the place, the weapons are great.

The missions and the story are good too; they make sense, and everything has a reason.

I think this might be the first game I've bought in the last year that I will finish and fast.

I haven't played more than 15-20 minutes of the MP so far, but I've got NOTHING but good to say about the single player game.

GG Raven. :icon14: :icon14:

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 10:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q4_5.jpg[/lvlshot]

So q2.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 11:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everything is back.

Im sorry to report that s_maxsoundspershader doesn't change anything, it all still sounds just as dull and the same... :(

Oh, and for those who like the deaths in Q3, pm_thirdpersondeath. ;)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 11:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im so happy that this game has just laughed in my face and forced me to change my mind. YES, its ugly as sin in places, but fuck, most of it is just RIGHT some how.

I think its easier for me to adapt because i wasn't a big Q3 player, but a Q2 one, and this borrows more from the Q2 rule book than the Q3 one.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 12:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If even an over-critical nitpicker like you enjoys it, then it must be really good ;)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 12:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Review sounds good, thanks.

BTW them red crosses for pictures own, hope my game looks like that too :D

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 02:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

Oh, and for those who like the deaths in Q3, pm_thirdpersondeath. ;)

cool

btw just a reminder, this isnt an id game. its like saying "omg id rocks at making star wars games, just look at jedi knight 2!!".
although they had a bit more to do with q4 than they did with jk2.. but you get the point :P

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 02:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
YES, its ugly as sin in places,

[paraphrase]donny is a homo cause games arent about graphics, idiots!!![/paraphrase]

at least be consistent, cockmonger :D

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 02:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for the review. i wish i could see your pics though :/ no workie for me.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 03:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess you were too overwhelmed by everything being 'right' to hear the annoying footsteps? After watching that q2dm1 remake duel movie i'm already hoping for a pointrelease that fixes it. :icon27:

Looks like i just ordered a Athlon64 3000+ & mobo for nothing. :icon26: Good to hear though it will run ok with my 9800 Pro.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 06:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The footsteps dont annoy me TBH.

BTW the pics are down because this thread got so much traffic it brought my server down, weeeeeeeeeee!

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-19-2005 06:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW I bought my own copy now so i have a valid CD Key, so MP later weeee!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.