Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        q4 1.2 dedicated linux distro bug?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q4 1.2 dedicated linux distro bug?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-26-2006 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,
i wonder if someone else has the same problem. :confused:

I've done a clean q4 1.2 linux install on a Fedora Core 4 linux box.
(i've had 1.02, 1.04, 1.05, 1.1b and 1.1 patches before; i know how to set them up, it' all worked perfectly)
I keep getting the following error:
Sys_Error: Error during initialization
:tear:

I've tried everything, a new clean install, setting fs_homepath/basepath/savepath, logfile 0 and moving q4 install in to home directory of the user that's running the server.. :paranoid:

Now, there is one more, straange, thing that is happening.
Q4 1.2 keeps looking for some 'default.cfg' (this never happened before - wtf is default.cfg if i specified mine server.cfg!?) and it usualy says:
Error: Couldn't load default.cfg - Check your working folder.
always followed by
Sys_Error: Error during initialization

On q4max mode i can't get the default.cfg prob. solved, the game just doesn't listen to the cmds +set fs_basepath /usr/local/games/quake4 +set fs_savepath /home/quake/.quake4 +set fs_homepath /usr/local/games/quake4 +set fs_game q4max +exec server.cfg.
(i've also tried renaming the server.cfg to default.cfg and i got the same errors)

What's strange is that when renaming the server.cfg, for xbm mode, to default.cfg didn't report 'Error: Couldn't load default.cfg - Check your working folder.' but server loading ended again with 'Sys_Error: Error during initialization'. :confused:

Running just the lines ./quake4-dedicated or ./quake4-dedicated +exec server.cfg (id's basic cfg in baseq4 renamed to server.cfg)or ./quake4-dedicated +exec default.cfg (same as example before this one) or ./quake4-dedicated fs_game q4max +exec server.cfg (or default.cfg) gets the same Sys_error + Error finding default.cfg messages. :/

The only idea i have left is that the quake4-dedicated executive file keeps crashing becouse of some programing error or a specific conflict with Fedora Core 4 distro. :icon33: :dork: :tear:

Does anyone have any more ideas?
Does anyone have a similar problem?
(one more guy on qnet irc had the same probl.)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-29-2006 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Please provide the entire command line you are using when running the server executable.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-29-2006 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let's assume your username is bob, you want to run the game in /home/bob/quake4, your IP address is 123.123.123.123, you want Punkbuster on, you want to run q4base (no mods), your log is called games.log, and the config is called server.cfg.

nohup ./q4ded.x86 +set net_serverDedicated 1 +set ttycon 0 +set net_ip 123.123.123.123 +set net_port 28004 +set fs_basepath /home/bob/quake4 +set fs_savepath /home/bob/quake4 +set fs_devpath /home/bob/quake4 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +set fs_game $blank +set fs_game_base q4base +set logfile games.log +exec server.cfg &

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-29-2006 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's also a 1.2.1 Linux client/server out now -- perhaps it fixes the issue you have:

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/quake4/downloads/

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 04-30-2006 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pls post the whole log of the startup, because I bet the bit right at the top where it lists the search path and all pk4's will show the issue.

The error means it cannot find the pak*.pk4 from the cd. You did install them to the same path as fs_basepath, right?

Post the whole log.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.