Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Should Q4max and xbattle Merge

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Should Q4max and xbattle Merge

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 04-27-2006 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

with this post...
http://www.team-dignitas.com/news.php?newsid=2441

...I wonder what you guys think?

esr discussion:
http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1068762

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-27-2006 05:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think there are already too many self-served 'comp mods' anyway. Not just those 2 but expert mod and gtr mod as well. How is that helping the community as this point, which is very small? :s

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-27-2006 05:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They should, but they won't.

Everyone wants to be the project leader, and everyone wants to realise their own very specific visions.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 04-27-2006 06:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think that if they merge we would have almost done product, and when ID/Raven release their add-on pack to us the Q4 community would rock. but thats only dreams of happy fraggin

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-27-2006 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
Come to the darkside :D
The dark side of the old, dead mods? :paranoid:

I have to admit i totally lost track of mod development since the last time i played, which was around patch 1.0.5beta...

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-27-2006 07:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But I don't... want to spend a lot of money.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-27-2006 10:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
but expert mod and gtr mod as well

umm, GTR isn't a "comp mod" it's a 'fun mod'

TTK-Bandit wrote
Quote:
Anyway, I couldn't do the things I wanted to do in the first place when I joined xbattle,
because in that team competition stuff had first priority.

Now that I left xbm, I'm going to start doing the things I want,
and that is implementing new gametypes into quake4 as a fun mod.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-28-2006 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

exactly :p

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 04-28-2006 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Speaking of merge, maybe DeltaCTF & CTF Evolution should merge. :p

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 04-28-2006 11:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hell, I'm not sure if you guys even understand what mods are.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-04-2006 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got no sudden desire to see the two mods merge, infact I would prefer it if they remained seperate; choice is a good thing :)

However I do think they (and any other mods for that matter) should share code. Seems pointless to me to have features that are the same in both/all mods coded by different people. Sure, a feature might be coded better by one modder than another's first attempt, in which case fine, code a replacement and offer that up for all other mods. But their has to be some point where obvious features have been coded by individual mod teams repeatedly, wasting time when they could have been coding something unique ... if that makes sense.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-04-2006 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why don't they just make the mods open source?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-04-2006 02:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mainly because it spawns 999999 derivatives.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-14-2006 12:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am the coder and designer for Expert mod. I have been working on it for the past 7 months. I have had no one ask me to "join a team", or share my code for that matter. I did ask AnthonyJ about team color source which they did provide. I have been a one man team coder for the mod itself, with the only help from one LDAsh doing models for me. I am by no means a "self serving" developer. My purpose and only purpose of my whole website was to bring an old school mod , being XCTF, up to the newest able bodied game by ID to support the mod. I resent the self serving comment. I have no problem with joining or sharing, but he point with the 9999999 mods is appropriately written. I have many requests , for a capturestrike form and a freezetag mode already, coders , mappers and any one who wants tohelp is more then welcome.

I represent myself as one person supporting an old school mod for over 6 years now. Just look at my website. It will show you just the time frame i have been dedicated to such a game. Nuff said.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-14-2006 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:
Why don't they just make the mods open source?

there are already moves in this direction with the release of the creative commons quake 4 pak

>> http://www.ingame.de/filebase/index.php ... 5&fid=3208

I was hoping this would take off as a repository of maps/models and perhaps texture paks that mods could share, contribute too and take advantage of (seemed like a great idea to me) - I guess it just needs everybody on board

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 05-16-2006 11:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Modder Than Hell: The Q4Max vs. Xbattle Wars

http://www.ggl.com/news.php?NewsId=3083

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ill be damned if i can connect to an XBM server in the US.

edit: ammocheck and althurt/enemy sounds are a big plus for xbattle.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-29-2006 01:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

k MY JOB IS DONE. EXPECT 1.21 with a bonus.pk4 soon.. you'll see...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-29-2006 01:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hrm, I don't think I've ever played on an xbattle server. I've played on q4base and Q4Max servers. Q4max is awesome. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.