Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Expert Quake 4 Update -- 1.2 compatible

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Expert Quake 4 Update -- 1.2 compatible

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-09-2006 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://expertctf.net/q4/expert1.02.zip
Bullets:
    Upgraded the code to 1.2 Base code for the sdk.
    Added 3 XCTF Powerups, Powershield, Mutant Jump, and Vampire Artifact
    Powershield - when active , will reduce damage you take by half
    Mutant Jump, Lets you jump at crazy distances
    Vampire Artifact, will give you a percentage of damage you deal to your health
    Included is a ctf sample map that shows the powerups and xctf items added
    Added an XCTF Ammo Mega Pack. Used for non-ammor regen modes.
    Fixed Expert weapons Give code, so proper items give with g_inhibitweaps cvar
    Fixed (hopefully) the cap times and print statements.
    Added an exec line on a per mape name basis on each map load to do custom cvar changes per map. See doc below for more information. This is for servers only.
    Fixed a problem with the blaster and only weapon available where the game would lock up.
    Changed sound effects for the Grenade Primer weapon to distinguish it from the Launcher.
    Added an Expert Version Id var for clarification of Expert Id and older versions.(1.02)
    Added the ability to change the amount of rail shots, server side option
    Added Armor regenning option via server cvar on/off
    Added the ability to customize what map items load, items, armor, health, powerups, weapons
    Added max_health and Max_armor server side cvars
    Added client side option to turn off projectile trails.
    Changed the look of the gui a bit.
    Fixed a few gui bugs found.
    Added new graphics for gui and icons for powerups and hud
    Added the ability to load custom entity files per map
    Added g_weaponmod server side bitflag to allow weapon mod weapons
    By default any and all Expert powerups, items will load on maps regardless of inhibits settings
    Removed Single Player from gui options. No support for SP mode games
    Added a sound channel for the grapple, so grapple sounds don't get squashed by other events

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-09-2006 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a troll.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-09-2006 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for your valuable input.

Note that numerous server variables have been introduced with this version of the Expert mod allowing server admins to run highly customized servers, if they choose to do so.

Some of my favorite features of this update are:
-- the .ent map functionality that allows server admins to include custom entity maps for maps running on their server that will enable them to move weapons, powerups, flags, etc. around in the map to provide varied gameplay (and access to the new expert powerups) without having to edit the actual map(s) and cause players to have to re-download numerous custmo versions of the same maps.

-- the per-map .cfg handling. Maybe you want to add/remove certain weapons in certain maps. Maybe you prefer to disable/enable the noclip regions in some maps and not others. Now you can set a specific set of server variables for each map that will load with the maps when they come around in the map cycle (without having to screw around with the mapcycle.cycle coding. You simply make a q4ctf4.cfg and drop it in the expert folder and whatever's in it will be exec'd upon that map coming up in the cycle!)

-- disabling the noclip regions. While it sounds dangerous to anyone who's ever made a map, it's actually pretty fun on most of the maps out there. I've enabled this on my server and only on 'mind the gap' does it cause any sort of problem (a minor one, at that). normally, what it does is removes 'clip' brushes which are basically the invisible barriers that keep you from going to some areas of the map. These are often up near the sky and in other places in the map and sometimes can get in the way on maps that weren't designed with the grappling hook in mind. Many map makers figure you'll never be in that area of the map since you can only jump so high... With the hook (especially the sky-hooking Expert hook) you can get to a lot of places you normally can't. This serves to make the most of the visible map area as well as provide the maximum vertical playground for the players.

So, I guess what I'm saying is to shove your sarcasam where the sun doesn't shine and give the mod a try -- that is, unless you just surf Quake 4 forums to rag on the game and complain about those who are trying to make it enjoyable, playable and get our $50 out of it! If you are one of those poor negative souls, please, do us a favor and go play Counterstrike or something.. If not, try the mod. Put up a server with the variables set exactly how you like them and start a clan. I'd be glad to pull together a group of my old clan/pals from the Quake 2 expert days and show you what a beatdown in Expert CTF is all about. :drool:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent mod !!
We have 2 servers running it now.
Both streaming with PsB !

207.210.237.144:28004 -- Rail only w/ Hook

and

207.210.238.196:28004 -- Rockets & Rails w/ Hook

Can't wait for Freezetag tho !!!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Man!

(note that my post was in response to some now-removed tripe from KO)

New Expert CTF server up at:

q4.xpd8.net:28004

also!

Please use the dns name instead of the IP as the IP may change slightly soon.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-31-2006 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.0.3 update for Expert:

There's a list of fixes available at http://www.expertctf.net

One major thing to mention is that this will include the source code for the entire mod. Enjoy!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-01-2006 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Goner wrote:
Hey, thanks for your valuable input.

-- the per-map .cfg handling. Maybe you want to add/remove certain weapons in certain maps.

great feature

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-01-2006 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dubz wrote:
Goner wrote:
-- the per-map .cfg handling. Maybe you want to add/remove certain weapons in certain maps.

great feature

FWIW, using the mapcycle.scriptcfg functionality from vq4 (and therefore all mods) anyone can change cvars in the map cycle. Doesnt work with voted maps of course tho.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-01-2006 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Riddla: The purpose of releasing the source was to let people use it . If you do please give credit where credits due, that's fine. There's plenty to use and good ideas to work from. Hope it makes it into some of the promods out there.. Maybe i'll start playing.. Heh.

Any Use is ok, just not an exact remake of the same exact thing.. I will also take code fixes or enhancements to add to the source as a base for people to use. and re-release as any good information comes our way. I gave it alot of thought for reasons to release it, and it came down to the lack of server support, and just wanting to give a little back, for the years of entertainment i got out of quake games. So Enjoy....

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.