Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Client unknown to Auth

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Client unknown to Auth

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

everytime i want to play Q4 on the q3w server, i get this error. you'd tihnk this was fixed since.. i dunno.. QUAKE3?

what gives >:E

(im also getting 0 servers using the ingame server browser btw. this used to work fine before though)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 08:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This might indicate your router or firewall blocking some communication.

I'd dig out the ports etc you need, but I'm busy. You should be able to search it.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 08:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

28004 tcp and udp. both are open from when i first installed the game.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 08:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's fine for reaching the servers but the master server operates on a different port entirely.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 08:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try 27590 or 27950 of the top of my head. The address is q4master.idsoftware.com if you want to make a stricter rule.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 09:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

\o/ that seems to have fixed it. odd how activision support stresses that 27650 should only be opened when hosting a server :dork:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 09:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most routers set up outgoing ports correctly for transfers that are initiated from you to the server. In most cases routers need to be told explicitly when it's the outside server initiating the connection.

In your case, it seems your router won't map a connection even if it originates from yourself. Fairly rare, I think.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 11:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that seems about right :icon32:

it worked before though.. prolly some firmware update dealio

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 05-15-2006 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is true, but sometimes routers are too clever for their own good, and depending on how the software is written its possible to break NAT.

See this (in depth) post about an issue with Q4 + master server comms (server issue, so not the one in this thread) - http://www.forumplanet.com/planetquake/ ... id=1780880

Fundamentally there was a bug in q3 and derived games which went completely unnoticed because many routers worked around the bug, thus making id unaware of it until it broke with q4 for "no good reason".

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-16-2006 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AnthonyJa wrote:
That is true, but sometimes routers are too clever for their own good, and depending on how the software is written its possible to break NAT.

See this (in depth) post about an issue with Q4 + master server comms (server issue, so not the one in this thread) - http://www.forumplanet.com/planetquake/ ... id=1780880

Fundamentally there was a bug in q3 and derived games which went completely unnoticed because many routers worked around the bug, thus making id unaware of it until it broke with q4 for "no good reason".

thats quite interesting. good read :icon14:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.