Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        My Quake III Site! Need Feedback

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: My Quake III Site! Need Feedback

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just started this website yesterday, aiming for an all around informational and resourceful Quake III site. Remember, this is just the start! I should probably also dish out a few bucks for a domain name.

http://bacon.q3a.tripod.com

Just looking for feedback, suggestions, etc :icon32:

BTW: I did NOT make this topic for advertising, I want feedback!

Also warning to firefox users: I don't think my site displays correctly in firefox, doesen't like some of my code, which I don't know how to fix :icon33:

Last edited by Bacon on 03-15-2005 12:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool :icon25:

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 12:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Like the cursor :icon19:

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
Like the cursor :icon19:

:icon26:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 12:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks nice, although the look of it doesn't really say "Quake" all that much to me. While this isn't a bad thing about the design of the site in itself, it's more that it's not immediately obvious what the site is about. Just look at a site like http://www.planetquake.com, that just screams "Quake". Get my point?

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
It looks nice, although the look of it doesn't really say "Quake" all that much to me. While this isn't a bad thing about the design of the site in itself, it's more that it's not immediately obvious what the site is about. Just look at a site like http://www.planetquake.com, that just screams "Quake". Get my point?

I agree, i think i'll play around with some quake images and see if any go with the colors...

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Erm, can someone else test this for me, go to view -> source and see if it comes up? For some reason it wont come up on my computer :confused:

Also,does someone have a nice closeup of Flisk's face? I want to use that on my banner :icon25:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 01:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Source comes up fine (in firefox) here.
I see you have styles defined inside your HTML. Any reason why you've done this? For maintainability, you really want all style definitions in a seperate CSS file.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Source comes up fine (in firefox) here.
I see you have styles defined inside your HTML. Any reason why you've done this? For maintainability, you really want all style definitions in a seperate CSS file.

Im lazy when it comes to that, ill think about using more .css files, i also made a new logo, more q3'ish i just took a screenshot of klesk and put it in,

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 01:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice :icon14:

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bacon wrote:
Im lazy when it comes to that

Interesting that you say lazy, since it takes less time using a .css file then having to manually typing all the codes each time. :p

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The layout is good...but the images and colors aren't exactly the first that come to mind when i think of quake

Fjoggs wrote:
Bacon wrote:
Im lazy when it comes to that

Interesting that you say lazy, since it takes less time using a .css file then having to manually typing all the codes each time. :p

that's a good point...once you get a hand of css color assignments and transparent images changing colors become A LOT less painless

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was thinking of making it more of a red color :icon26:

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm thinking mabye more along the lines of a bloody red color?

I changed the whole sites color scheme to that red, should look a bit more quake 3 now ;)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that works...but it would work really well if the stripe in the middle was black or a very dark gray and the background of the site also black

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah I like that, I like that. Looking good.

But like pyrogenik said, a darker background might help as well. Maybe indeed black with the content panel being a dark gray with white letters (*cough* like Quake3world ;) *cough*)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.