Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        quake3 server and http downloads?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: quake3 server and http downloads?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

while playing enemy territory recently, i noticed that, upon connecting to a server, my client was instructed to download some files via http, rather than from the server directly. would anyone happen to know if there is a way to do this with a quake3 dedicated server, or am i out of luck? (i'm hoping for faster downloads for people who are lacking files needed to play on my server) thanks.
-stock

no u
no u
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 09:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if your running punkbuster you can use the pb_sv_task command to output a message every so often telling ppl where to download files. I think some server side mods can do that to. you can find them in the T&T forum sticky thread.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 03-31-2005 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake3 and enenmy territory server can be setup to allow the client to download files
automatically or to save bandwidth for the server make you download files via http.

the server's config command is
sv_allowdownloads 1

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-31-2005 08:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was looking into this some more, and noticed that enemy territory has stuff like sv_wwwDownload and sv_wwwBaseURL. these appear to be lacking in quake3, so i think i may be out of luck with respect to http downloading. even if there were a mod that would do it, since the server is already running osp, it wouldn't be possible to have both work at the same time, right?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-31-2005 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Right. ET runs on a modified engine and one of the added features is HTTP redirecting.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 02:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, no HTTP downloads in Quake3. Only directly from the gameserver which is really slow.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 04:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, but...

DRC|Wartex wrote:
yay for me! I set up a test LAN, and guess what, download speed and sv_maxrate depends on sv_fps. Best results I got if empty server is running at 200 fps, and client rate is 90000 (thats max AFAIK) and sv_maxrate 0 (no limit). Download speeds reach sustained 75-80 KB/sec.

If sv_maxrate is 25000 and sv_fps is 40, download speed will be around 40 KB/s. Basically maxrate is what it is at 20 fps. With higher FPS you need to apply the multiplier. It's not exact because of overhead. I.e. sv_fps = 40, sv_maxrate = 25000, download speed will be 40-45 KB/s and not 50.

I also did test on an Internet server.
If there is anyone in the server, download speed will be jumping up and down but in general, doubling sv_fps will give you 1.8x boost in download speed. Also, internet is not a LAN, so there is no perfect conditions. My game server is in NY datacenter (Voxel). Best results I have gained with sv_fps 80 (25 KB/sec), anything higher or lower only hurts the speed.

Props to DRC|Wartex from the IU forums.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRC|Wartex wrote:
yay for me! I set up a test LAN, and guess what, download speed and sv_maxrate depends on sv_fps. Best results I got if empty server is running at 200 fps, and client rate is 90000 (thats max AFAIK) and sv_maxrate 0 (no limit). Download speeds reach sustained 75-80 KB/sec.

If sv_maxrate is 25000 and sv_fps is 40, download speed will be around 40 KB/s. Basically maxrate is what it is at 20 fps. With higher FPS you need to apply the multiplier. It's not exact because of overhead. I.e. sv_fps = 40, sv_maxrate = 25000, download speed will be 40-45 KB/s and not 50.

I also did test on an Internet server.
If there is anyone in the server, download speed will be jumping up and down but in general, doubling sv_fps will give you 1.8x boost in download speed. Also, internet is not a LAN, so there is no perfect conditions. My game server is in NY datacenter (Voxel). Best results I have gained with sv_fps 80 (25 KB/sec), anything higher or lower only hurts the speed.

man i forgot all about sv_fps controling dl rate. thats actually something they fixed in the 1.32 PR. Unfortunately its not very practical for internet servers. raising the sv_fps really increases bandwidth demand on the server for each player connected. most net servers wont use a number higher than 35 for that reason. It works great for lan though.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.