Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        quakeIII patches

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: quakeIII patches

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 03:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i want to use the newest patch but not sure how to...but ne way, if i download the newest patch and use it would it only change some stuff on my quake or does it also change the servers/will will i be seeing only servers who hav the same patch?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 04:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're talking abut point release 1.32,( otherwise known as protocol 68), then you'll need it to get on most servers since most of them upgraded to 68 a while ago. Without it, you can still get on remaining servers with the same version as you, i.e 43, 66, 67. Download 1.32 and run it. Also get hold of pbweb.exe from http://www.evenbalance.com and run that from your pb folder. That will update what is called punkbuster, a cheat protection built into 1.32.

Get 'all seeing eye' from http://www.udpsoft.com/. This will allow you to see all available quake3 servers, their ping, how many players are on each server, and most importantly, what version they're running.

Last edited by DRuM on 04-05-2005 04:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Double click the install file for the patch and keep hitting next until it installs. It only updates your game.

btw :icon19: :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats weird...i installed the "all seeing thing" and i installed the point thing 1.32 or watvr but then when i try to join a game it wont let me and it says that its using protocol....do i need to put the new patch into a specific folder or something? or wat do i hav to do?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it says' this server is using protocol 67' or any number except 68, then you won't be able to join that server. You need one that is 68.

pbweb.exe also needs to be run from within the folder called 'pb' whilst you're online.

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=updatepb.php

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok i kind of get it...

but can u just give me the list of things i need to play

like the all seeing eye and the patch and u know

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

medalist wrote:
ok i kind of get it...

but can u just give me the list of things i need to play

like the all seeing eye and the patch and u know

Erm...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sry...but doesnt the patch i can download here come with protol 68 and the pb thing?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and in the "all seeing eye" where can i c wat typ of game the server is ? for example CTf etc...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is real..gay i dont know where to put the patch 1.32 can neone explain how to use it?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Put the 1.32 into your baseq3 folder and run it from there.
Then get pbweb.exe from my link above and run that from within the pb folder which is in your main quake3 arena folder.

In all seeing eye, click on the '+' sign next to quake 3 arena, and you'll see all the gametypes.

piecemaker
piecemaker
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 07:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon28:

Ok.

Simply put.

Download the 1.32 patch for Quake3

Although you need to understand!

YOU MUST HAVE THE FULL VERSION OF QUAKE3.

AGAIN. YOU MUST HAVE THE FULL VERSION. ;)

Ok now that we got that simple thing out of the way.

DRuM already explained downloading all seeing eye and downloading and running the quake3 patch.

You've actually gotten quite a few instances of people explaining how
to get things going for quake3.

Frankly you should start back with DRuM's FIRST reply and do it
EXACTLY as mentioned.

If you still don't get it follow the other examples after DRuM's reply.

*big smile*

If you still need help>? Just give us an address and we'll come over and install and then play the game for you...

OH DAMN I sound grumpy... *Shit*

ok look.

You've downloaded the [url=Point Release 1.32: ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3 ... se_132.exe]1.32 Point Release for Quake[/url]

YOU DON'T NEED TO PUT THE FILE ANYWHERE.

When your done downloading the 1.32 PR. RUN it. Don't put it anywhere just run it.

As already said. Run the patch. INSTALL everything default and YES instal PunkBuster when it asks you in the 1.32 PR. If you don't
install PunkBuster while instaling the latest patch? You won't be playing on most servers.

It's that simple. Seriously. There's something your trying to hard at while installing that's mucking up things.

Do not stray from teh default install of the 1.32 PR patch. Just remember to simply click on NEXT and YES when they come up in the install process for the 1.32 PR patch.

I am repeating things quite abit in my explanaition. I hope the repeating will actually be seen and you get the patch installed correctly.

So you can be out there playing the game and having some fun like we've all had at one time or another.

DAMN this is one long explanation.

*laughs*

I hope you tak the time to read all of this reply and are able to get things installed.

As for ALL seeing eye?

ALL_SEEING EYE <----the website would be your better bet with the FAQ and Manual ;)

*waves*

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 05:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok thanks...

but both of u r saying different stuff?

When your done downloading the 1.32 PR. RUN it. Don't put it anywhere just run it.

which one?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just run it and point it to your Q3A folder.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Double click the thing and keep selecting "next" or "yes" until it's installed. :D

piecemaker
piecemaker
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 07:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Double click the install file for the patch and keep hitting next until it installs. It only updates your game.

btw :icon19: :)

Mogul wrote:
Double click the thing and keep selecting "next" or "yes" until it's installed. :D

*yelling for DRuM.........*

Please post in this already and tell him to simply run the patch.

:D

You are really reading too much into this one medalist.

Download the patch. RUN it and install it.

Deja vu :rolleyes:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok just to clarify tell me if im wrong

i download the newest patch from this site and install it and just leave it there where ever it may be

i download the pb file and put it in the pb folder right?

piecemaker
piecemaker
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you install the Patch correctly.
You install PB along with the pbweb.exe file DRuM mentioned you should download.

run the patch.

READ each prompt it pops up.

saying yes or next to everything.
:rolleyes:

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, do what piecemaker said.

Or, do what piecemaker said that I'd already said to do.

Alternatively, just do what I said in the first place/

If that doesn't work, you can always fall back on moguls advice. :idea:

Short of all that, there's an option to play doom3 instead :lol:

piecemaker
piecemaker
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh man.... Thank you for that laugh DRuM!

damn I woke up the wife with the reading of that one.

That felt good to laugh like that. Been awhile.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

medalist dont do what they guys told you, they're talking out of their asses.

what you need to do is to RUN the patch and click NEXT or YES whenever they appear. After that, run q3.

No thnx bud, Just remember i did it all for you.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
Yeah, do what piecemaker said.

Or, do what piecemaker said that I'd already said to do.

Alternatively, just do what I said in the first place/

If that doesn't work, you can always fall back on moguls advice. :idea:

Short of all that, there's an option to play doom3 instead :lol:

or you can do what drum said! hadn't read yours drum, great advice! :up:

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PieceMaker wrote:
Oh man.... Thank you for that laugh DRuM!

damn I woke up the wife with the reading of that one.

That felt good to laugh like that. Been awhile.

No problem buddy, I'm here all week. :icon25:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 11:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is really pissing me off now...

i installed the patch 1.32 and did wat u told me but when i try to join a game it say "start TA directly" or "this server uses protocol68"

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bikkeldesnikkel wrote:

what you need to do is to RUN the patch and click NEXT or YES whenever they appear. After that, run q3.

again, you're a complete idiot.

MEDALIST. RENISTALL QUAKE AND DO EXACTLY WHAT PIECEMAKER POSTED.

DRuM wrote:

what kind of fr00tcake advice you dishing out here Drum?

Last edited by +JuggerNaut+ on 04-06-2005 12:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 11:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

medalist wrote:
this is really pissing me off now...

i installed the patch 1.32 and did wat u told me but when i try to join a game it say "start TA directly" or "this server uses protocol68"

it shouldn't say anything about using protocol 68 since 1.32 IS protocol 68.

start the game, and bring down the "console" by pressing the tilde key "~". in the lower right hand corner, let us know what version it says you're running. if you installed 1.32 correctly, that's what it will say.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it says Q3 1.11

i swear to god i did everything u told me too

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but i didn't tell you to do anything. re-read piecemaker's post, uninstall quake, re-read piecemaker's post, re-install quake, then re-read piecemaker's post.

once you get over the patch hurdle, you'll be loving the game. don't get discouraged.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i give up, ill find another game

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude..

Ok, look..

Install game

Reboot PC

Download 1.32 Patch

Double click file

Click NEXT a whoel bunch

click yes

next again

finish

DONT change the games directory when you install it.. let it install to C:/Program Files/Quake III Arena/

TA DA your done..

now update PB from the punkbuster site or just let the game idle..

weeeeeeeee

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ill try once more

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aight..it still doesnt work thnx neway...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
bikkeldesnikkel wrote:

again, you're a complete idiot.

MEDALIST. RENISTALL QUAKE AND DO EXACTLY WHAT PIECEMAKER POSTED.

DRuM wrote:

what kind of fr00tcake advice you dishing out here Drum?

lol wtf are you blabbering, i was just kidding, daim. chill out for a sec pff

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 03:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

medalist wrote:
aight..it still doesnt work thnx neway...

Now I feel sorry for this guy.
medalist, don't give up, I want you to get this.

Did you see a screen that says ' quake3 arena point release 1.32 setup' yet when installing q3pointrelease_ 132.exe ?

To be honest, I don't think it matters where the file is or where you install it to, the game finds it . I mean, my q3pointrelease_ 132.exe file is in baseq3, but it can just be in the main quake3 folder as well, doesn't matter I don't think. Well, try installing it again, and let it install to the quake 3 arena folder anyway.

medalist wrote:
it say "start TA directly" or "this server uses protocol68"

Is it 'Quake 3 Team Arena' you have instead of 'Quake 3 Arena'? Maybe that's what the problem is? Perhaps someone else can confirm if team arena would cause this to happen. Perhaps then if you've got TEAM arena it'll only let you play on team arena servers as opposed to normal quake 3 arena, but I know nothing about q3TA. :shrug:

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 03:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, it sounds like you have the DEMO version of the game and not the FULL version. Piecemaker did actually say you need the FULL version. If you only have the demo, that's your problem right there. Demo version can only be played on protocol 43 servers, which are also non punkbuster. There are a limited amount of demo servers left. Go get the full version and you'll be in quake3 heaven. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.