Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Q3 Server crashing

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3 Server crashing

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-18-2005 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My brother and I have started playing Q3 online on a personal server that he set up on his end.

It's fine for the most part, but every now and then his computer crashes and he has to reboot, so it's hard to finish more than 2 matches without him having to restart and then I have to rejoin his server.

He says that the screen turns black and then the computer reboots itself automatically. He doesn't seem to have any problems running the game offline, so I doubt if it's a hardware issue.

Any thoughts on the cause of this?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-19-2005 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah. Could be a driver issue but it's more likely the CPU/GPU overheating (the latter only if it's used to run the client as well, of course). Used to happen on my server too until I replaced the CPU cooler.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-24-2005 04:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i would guess so too. you can check out some hardware monitoring tools to watch the temperature (eg. by your motherboard manufacturer) or have him do some stress tests with common diagnotic tools (burnintest 3.0 for example).

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if its a 1.32 server, tell him to remove the pb folder from his q3 directory as an expiriment and see if his pc still freezes...if its what i think it is his pc wont freeze.

I dont actually KNOW what it is and evenbalance wont admit anything either...but my pc crashes every time I turn pb on. evenbalance will only tell me to update my drivers, even tho i already have and told them that but they still insist its my drivers instead of that p.o.s. program of theirs.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PB pushes a little more than regular programs do, so it might be exposing faulty hardware/drivers.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 05-03-2005 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Peloquin wrote:
I dont actually KNOW what it is and evenbalance wont admit anything either...but my pc crashes every time I turn pb on. evenbalance will only tell me to update my drivers, even tho i already have and told them that but they still insist its my drivers instead of that p.o.s. program of theirs.

you might try asking around over at Punksbusted's forums if you havent already. sometimes they can help.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tried asking evenbalance but they didnt know anything.

I did some searching around and finally found what the problem was.

vid-card drivers... re-updated them and everythings fine now. :icon32:

no u
no u
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon28:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.