Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think I understand what xeros is driving at. if a movie like batman the dark night gets a 9, and then the same moron gives "shawn of the dead" a 9 for being a great comedy while high, then somehow that seems like a slap in the face for the people involved in batman for being a much bigger effort, both is story line / depth / meaning / special effects / field research etc.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EtUL wrote:
jesus wasn't a knob

You have to be real to be a knob.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stop whoring up the movie thread with your nonsense :mad:

Everyone knows a movie should be rated within one's own personal frame of reference, leaving it up to other forum members to develop an opinion based upon movies that both parties have seen and their understanding of the interpersona.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
EtUL wrote:
jesus wasn't a knob

You have to be real to be a knob.

Doesn't change you being a knob.

Also perception is reality.

Get Smart, Again 2/10

Awful but not in a watch-it-once kind of way.

Don't Watch, Again

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Stop whoring up the movie thread with your nonsense :mad:

Everyone knows a movie should be rated within one's own personal frame of reference, leaving it up to other forum members to develop an opinion based upon movies that both parties have seen and their understanding of the interpersona.

but we are not talking about diff. opinions here. it's about the rating system that completely overlooks things such as I have described.

anyway I think Spazda hasn't made a worth while post in ages with the exception of the ninja vid. For all intents and purposes he is as worthless as Peenyuh. not to mention his footer should be banned for screen-space slaughter

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get mad bro.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no brofist for you

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
i think I understand what xeros is driving at. if a movie like batman the dark night gets a 9, and then the same moron gives "shawn of the dead" a 9 for being a great comedy while high, then somehow that seems like a slap in the face for the people involved in batman for being a much bigger effort, both is story line / depth / meaning / special effects / field research etc.

A simple comedy can still be a 9 but shouldn't be compared as a 9 in drama, adventure, mystery, etc. It's like saying that indie games can't be rated 9 because there wasn't as much effort put into them as some of the huge games that are out now.

Actually I don't know why anyone would compare them when it's obvious they shouldn't.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 03:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tron: Legacy

Watched it twice on the plane, then downloaded it when i got home and watched it twice more. It's that awesome.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^^I think I'm gonna go watch it again in 1080p, right after I listen to the score for the 2000th time.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thor.

Thor + Two out of 10. Shitty effects, but Chris Hemsworth is great.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
That he ranked Thor an 8, which means it's a great action flick. But you're comparing it to Cookoo's Nest and Godfather, which also might receive that rank. I just don't think that's fair because there're two different genres. I never implied that we need to specify the genre with the rank. Jesus...

Never mind me bro, just trolling a bit :D I agree rating is inherent to the genre.
That being said, you can get some severely lobsided ratings.
See the imdb top 250; Shawshank Redemption @ #1? OK flick, but I've seen dozens of movies that are way better.
Subjectivity, people are sentimental idiots, etc.

Anyway: Nude Nuns With Big Guns => 3/10

Granted, all the title's promises were fulfilled.
But the nuns were ugly, the "guns" were saggy, and the gore, like the scipt, was...not even there?

High brow 3/10 bullshit equivalent: Dancer in the Dark (with Bjork)

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 06:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Thor, 8/10?

Must be on the same level as "The Godfather" or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", then!
Good to see Hollywood is still cranking out those intelligent, thought provoking movies :up:

Get over yourself faggot.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 04-26-2011 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

surprising. from the trailers i was 100% convinced that thor would be just as shitty as the ang lee hulk (really the same movie with a few names changed). might actually give it a chance now.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 01:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Get over yourself faggot.

Come at me sis.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 01:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Anyway: Nude Nuns With Big Guns => 3/10

Granted, all the title's promises were fulfilled.

Not sure what kind of other fetishes you are into but, dude!

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-27-2011 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Like you'd kick a sweet nude nun with big guns out of bed, daddy-o.

Nah, this movie niche just needs a little refining, and it'll take right off.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 04-28-2011 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cop Samurai 8/10

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hit List = 1/10 - Horrible with a capital H.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your Highness - 4/10 - had a few funny moments but generally a pitiful effort. like pineapple express, but not good... despite natalie portman's butt.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Start Trek (again)

Nicely done .... Looks, searches for previous rating in this topic .... :(

Yes, in consideration 8/10

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 08:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek (yet again) 9/10
Your Highness 4/10
Fast Five 3/10 (the last 20 mins made my brain hurt)

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Start Trek (again)

I actually went ahead and bought it. Star Trek movies have always disappointed me, but this one was frikkin AWESOME! :up:

PostPosted: 05-02-2011 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Man From Nowhere (fucking hoss/10)
Korean movie, make sure you don't get the English dub.

Tormentius wrote:
Fast Five 3/10 (the last 20 mins made my brain hurt)

Haven't seen it, but can you explain why it has like an 8/10 on IMDB?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 10:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the fighter

the first realistic boxing scenes

rest of it was okay

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Peenyuh wrote:
I actually went ahead and bought it. Star Trek movies have always disappointed me, but this one was frikkin AWESOME! :up:

Couple with the previous rating of 9/10 from Tormentius :up:

I better buy it too :D

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Haven't seen it, but can you explain why it has like an 8/10 on IMDB?

No idea why it would be rated that highly. I usually like cheesy movies but everything about this one was just taken to ridiculous extremes, especially the last segments bizarre chase scene.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-03-2011 04:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pina - 8/10 ~ my first contact with Ausdruckstanz. not so bad.

Tron 2 7/10 - nice visuals, stupid plot but the religious references were fun (not very clever though).

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 05-03-2011 08:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Green Hornet 5/10

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UHF 8/10

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 07:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oldboy 8/10

Really good. Truly original story and great ending...

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 10:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great ending?
That was some seriously revolting messed up shit :olo:
But I agree, great film, great ending.

The Rite.

Yeah, yet another excorcism thingy.

But don't expect spectacular extravagance a la The Excorcist.
More in the vein of Emily Rose, and more focussing on struggling with religious faith/"why hast thou forsaken me?" shit, than showing crab walking, pea spewing freakiness.

But you can't really go wrong with Hopkins, and it's well directed.

6.66/10

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 08:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Oldboy 8/10

Really good. Truly original story and great ending...

Overrated movie.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 08:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

exit through the gift shop - not really sure, kinda interesting... kinda boring. nice final remarks tho. "im not sure who the jokes on." 5-6ish/10

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A list lately, so I'll keep them short:

TiMER - 8/10
Atypical romantic comedy/fantasy. Biological implants count down to the moment you meet your true love. It defines love in all shapes and forms, questioning the concept of "true love" and shadows how technology can alter society. It doesn't follow the typical romantic comedy formula and is actually rather bleak.

The Thin Red Line - 7/10
WWII Guadalcanal. Mix of poetic narration and horrors of battle. Not the typical Saving Private Ryan style WWII movie. Reminds me more of Flag of Our Fathers/Letters From Iwo Jima. Emotionally engaging, but I find it lacks historical reference common to other WWII epics.

Predators - 6/10
Sequel in the Predator series, predators kidnap some of earth's best killers to be hunted for sport. Lacks suspense, mediocre action. Watchable if you're bored.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - 9/10
Rewatched this classic. WWII British PoW's captured by Japanese are forced into building a bridge and challenge their captors on moral superiority.

Gattaca - 7/10
Murder mystery/thriller. DNA engineered humans are superior over an underclass of "In-Valids", one of which tries to overcome his genes and infiltrates the elites. Uma Thurman is hot! There was an interesting allusion between swimming and something else that I thought interesting and significant, but all I can remember now is Thurman hotness.

Pleasantville - 7/10
Two modern day teenagers are sucked into their TV of what first appears as the perfect black and white world of the 1950's. Things aren't as perfect and things quickly change from a dreamy wonderland to a commentary on the civil rights movement. Much more potential and should have capitalized on that theme. Instead, it feels like Back to the Future with To Kill a Mockingbird tacked on for an ending.

Anna and the King - 9/10
Most movie remakes are shit. Where the original was filled with Western superiority and bigotry, this one stands out with grace and charm. I don't think there is a Jodie Foster movie I don't like and Chow Yun-Fat illustrates warmth and intelligence to an enigmatic king.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.