Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Minecraft - Anyone into it?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Minecraft - Anyone into it?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-20-2011 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prepare te' board! arrrgh

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-20-2011 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

who is this fr4gul4tor?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i see a few npc villages have been found. anything there worth checking out? chests full of useful shit?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Villages are pretty much placeholders until features are added in future updates.

Odd that all villages have spawned in desert.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-22-2011 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.9 pre-release already?

features here

Quote:
Alongside the snowmen, Notch has also indicated that he'll be tweaking the behavior of the new creature introduced in 1.8: the Endermen. Currently, Endermen have a habit of grabbing blocks and carrying them around, sometimes vandalizing your hard work on a cool construction. Notch admits that this wasn't his best idea, and has decided to remove the behavior in the upcoming patch.

thank jeebus for that

also, videos of egghead villagers and fire slimes:

mjrpes: we gonna hold off on this? probably buggy as fuck

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-22-2011 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably... but moreso to give you guys some time to play with this map and get tired of it before trying something new.

If the experience and NPC system (maybe trade system) gets implemented in 1.9 then the next server update will go survival, with new map. I hope that with experience you get to a high enough level that you can start building things with the speed of creative.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-22-2011 02:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

awww bigass tree and chicken sancturary disappearing?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-22-2011 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i tried a mod earlier that introduced ambient sounds (mostly stolen from source engine games) dependent on player's location. was pretty good apart from the annoying wind sound while flying - like listening to a cistern refill with an ear infection. uninstalled it straight away

it's amazing though that derptch hasn't bothered to include ambient sounds. this game is so unfinished

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-22-2011 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then again it's been mostly a one man team until recently.

There's so many little things he could do. Like having a delay before you hear thunder, based on distance. Or circles.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-23-2011 12:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What happened to the mushroom tower area?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-23-2011 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there's a mushroom tower?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-23-2011 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there was. Duke made one. He also blew it up with a ton of tnt.

It was pretty cool.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-23-2011 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh. i thought afterwards that maybe he meant the mushroom patch near that stone tower in the pond - the one that got fucked by creepers multiple times (and then got repaired and new giant shrooms planted by me)

in fact, i've decided to replace all the trees in the vicinity of my castle with giant mushrooms :D

p.s. i like that mineshaft thingy near the spawn enclosure that's been filled in with water. i'm impressed someone managed to do that since filling anything deeper than 1 block with water is a total nightmare

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-23-2011 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh... that was me. I'm a single mother who has stumbled upon a weird but easy way to create a very deep body of water using only normal household items.

What you do is build a roof on the mineshaft one block below the top. Make sure it's completely covered. You can use rock or soil; doesn't matter since it's not permanent. And make sure you have a contained perimeter. Then fill the area above the roof with water one block high. When you're done all the water should be stationary. Now destroy your roof; the stationary water will be preserved and will fill in all the area below. Use lighted pumpkins to light the dark water underneath.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-24-2011 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

server's pretty empty these days. did everyone get bored with mc or just creative mode?

(on the plus side, i'm tidying the fuck out of the spawn area, and i ain't stopping until the last mob has been banished to the outer darkness...)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-24-2011 12:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just dont have the time.

have had some interviews and im getting ready to move.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-24-2011 08:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Time is also the constraint for me as well... :/

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-24-2011 10:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
Time is also the constraint for me as well... :/

Nor I AmIdYfReAk :smirk:

source

Note to self: stretch time

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-25-2011 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mein kraft

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-25-2011 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hitler's looking gayer and swedisher than i remember...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-25-2011 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You only saw him when he was still a little baby...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
server's pretty empty these days. did everyone get bored with mc or just creative mode?

(on the plus side, i'm tidying the fuck out of the spawn area, and i ain't stopping until the last mob has been banished to the outer darkness...)

Creative is boring for me, plus I'm getting annoyed with changing maps every 4 days. Makes it impossible to work on anything. I'm just doing SP for now.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, the map change seems to be driven by the updates, which affect SP too unless you don't update. i haven't seen any changes to the terrain generation mooted for future updates so maybe if we go to a survival map in 1.9 we can actually stick with it for a few months

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
well, the map change seems to be driven by the updates, which affect SP too unless you don't update. i haven't seen any changes to the terrain generation mooted for future updates so maybe if we go to a survival map in 1.9 we can actually stick with it for a few months

True this. Also my game is still crashing every ~5 minutes or so which makes play almost impossible. I've done some searching around and tried a few fixes but nothing seems to really work.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

are you using the correct version of java? my mc install crashed a lot at first, until i realised i needed 64bit to run it on a 64bit OS herpa derp. or mebbe try re-installing java?

i'm not convinced it's the game itself, since i have exactly the same install and i don't have the problems you and silicone have had

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I don't know what's going on with other people's setups. The only time my client crashes now is if the server is having issues. I know mrd has tried everything he can think of so that's piss.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got the latest version of Java, my OS is only 32-bit so no worries there. It never crashed when I ran it in Linux but Linux doesn't jive with my soundcards so that's no good. I've been running Java with -Xms256m which apparently increases the hunk size for java, no luck. Made the game a bit smoother but still crashes. Also tried increasing the hunk size in MCPatcher but that also does fuck all. *shrug*

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've read that Gigabit network cards cause trouble with MC, which is what I've been using. The game used to eat my network card driver and force me to a do a hard restart to get it back. Doesn't do that anymore, but the crashing is about the same. Never any errors, game just disappears.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have you tried replacing your nic? They also have USB nics. It seems like this must be where the issue still lies because you never have problems in SP.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I do have problems in SP lol. At this point I don't really care, I've spent enough time fucking around with it. I don't care about MC that much. I look at it as an easy way to escape for an hour or two, not the be all end all. If it's a buggy piece of shit that requires hours of fucking around to make it work then I don't fucking care. I'd rather spend that time playing guitar or something.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 01:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tru dat lol

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 02:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you wouldn't happen to have the render distance set to farthest would you?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-27-2011 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am not going through all the pages of this topic, but was wondering if you have seen this one?

http://kotaku.com/5844251/the-minecraft-version-of-the-the-simpsons-intro-is-amazing

Really impressive.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-27-2011 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
you wouldn't happen to have the render distance set to farthest would you?

I usually do, but it's happened on normal view distance as well. Is farthest known for being buggy?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-27-2011 05:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah. I don't run on farthest anymore and have yet to have minecraft just close itself without warning now. Been about a week or two since I made the switch.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.