Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-16-2011 05:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Harry Potter 7.2 (2D) - 7/10 IF YOU'RE A FAN. After 13 years you should know whether or not you want to see this movie. I did and it was "pretty good." There were a few gratuitous plot changes similar to those in HP6 and the pacing was a little weak at points, but it wrapped up the series well enough. I wouldn't bother with 3D though.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-17-2011 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw two reasonably unknown scifi movies, but both were more than a bit good to be honest. I love how lack of a giant hollywood budget doesn't mean shitty special effects these days - and pretty much guarantees a decent plot and ditto acting :up:

Monsters 8/10
Reporter gets the unusual assignment to take the daughter from one of his superiors from mexico to the US, right through the alien infected zone that is northern mexico. Not really an alien invasion type movie, more a roadtrip where the invasion plays out as a background story. Also, coolest alien invasion ever, they're just animals and plants mostly.

Pandorum 7/10
People waking up from stasis sleep in their spaceship in the wrong order entirely, and everything is a goddamn mess. Everyone who wakes up has severe memory function issues, but it doesn't take long to find out Earth has been destroyed, the reactor is about to go boom, scary barbarians are on the loose and the flight crew appears to have been eaten for the most part. The rest of the film is about finding out what the hell happened.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 07-17-2011 03:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tree of Life - 0/10 - First time I've ever walked out of the cinema before the end of a film (left after 45 minutes). Nonsensical, self-indulgent, pointless, pretentious bullshit. If Tracy Emin made films...

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 07-19-2011 07:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) 9/10.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-19-2011 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) 9/10.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/

yeah I remember that one...stands out from the masses, it's a superb film :up:

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 07-19-2011 10:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insidious

WHOA.... watch this one with a finger on the volume control unless you want to be scared shitless... good movie

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 07-20-2011 03:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[rec] - 9/10 - a great film made all the more enjoyable by the fact that I knew nothing about it before watching. :up:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-20-2011 03:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Insidious

WHOA.... watch this one with a finger on the volume control unless you want to be scared shitless... good movie

I had high (but not unrealistic) hopes for this one, went to see it at the cinema. Had potential but became far too ridiculous at the end. Was disappointing to say the least. IMO.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-20-2011 04:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good you said "IMO", otherwise you might think it's someone else's opinion :up:

(NO HOIMO)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-20-2011 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Taxi Driver 8/10
Raging Bull 7/10
Goodfellas 9/10

Yes I'm doing a Scorsese marathon...

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Adjustment Bureau

Neat. Shame all movies have become all shiny and similar in the past 5 years or so, though. This was no exception. I don't really know how to describe it. Maybe it's the new camera tech or something.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a movie, but I watched The Blue Planet on BBC Iplayer last night, specifically the episode "The Deep". It's from 2001 and I remember watching it the first time it was broadcast, but holy fuck, it's still absolutely incredible and still the best collection of cinematography of deep sea marine life. It's like an alien world down there. Utterly devastatingly awesome.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Harry Potter 7 and the Deathly Hallow Part Two.

Now as someone who thought the previous Potter films were "OK, watchable I suppose", I went into this one thinking it would be "OK, watchable I suppose".

I was pretty much blown away by this. I really thought it was fucking excellent, and I was really surprised how good it was. Incredible effects and very well directed.

8 Emma Watsons out of 10

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unknown

Liam neeson/10

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-22-2011 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
8 Emma Watsons out of 10

speaking of pervy old men wanking to emma watson, when i saw it some guy in the theater whistled (twice, in case we weren't sure he was a sex offender the first time) when she got out of the lake.

Last edited by menkent on 07-30-2011 01:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07-22-2011 08:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thor

"...thoribble."
-Me

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 02:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Le Jetee - 9/10

Brilliant short film by Chris Marker which is the basis for Terry Gilliams Twelve Monkeys. All in B&W and there is only 2 seconds of actual film - the rest is stills being narrated but it is wonderful. Highly recommended to anyone who has an appreciation for film :)

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sucker punch - 2/10
diabolical pan-splatter.

zombie diaries 2 - -10/10
makes sucker punch look like citizen fucking kane. the team that brought you the original reunite for another badly-acted retreading of the same terrible and offensive ideas - but this time they release it with the title 'world of the dead' so that you're 20 minutes into the bloody thing before you recognise the smell.

13 assassins - 8/10
takashi miike's samurai epic. the CGI is pretty bad and takes you out of the story a little, but everything else is fantastic.

battlefield LA - 3/10
like being forced to watch a floridian play call of duty on xbox with cheats enabled.

green lantern - 4/10
does a pretty good job of bringing the comic to life, but the comic sucks.

hobo with a shotgun - 8/10
fast-paced, gory grindhouse fun that doesn't quite give rutger hauer enough to do.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-24-2011 05:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Good you said "IMO", otherwise you might think it's someone else's opinion :up:

(NO HOIMO)

Which is exactly why I put it there, so dumbasses like yourself don't get too confused.

Pauly wrote:
Harry Potter 7 and the Deathly Hallow Part Two.

Now as someone who thought the previous Potter films were "OK, watchable I suppose", I went into this one thinking it would be "OK, watchable I suppose".

I was pretty much blown away by this. I really thought it was fucking excellent, and I was really surprised how good it was. Incredible effects and very well directed.

8 Emma Watsons out of 10

"8 Emma Watsons out of 10" was a nice try at not looking like a faggot, but it didn't work.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 07-24-2011 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YawN

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 07-24-2011 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly's Mum 5/10 Was okay but it stretched out a bit much.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-24-2011 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Green lantern = 5/10 - I couldn't care for the movie that tried to make me care about the comic that I never cared about. At least it wasn't entirely boring.

Horrible Bosses = 6/10 - Funny. I bet Jennifer Aniston is an amazing fuck IRL.

Cedar Rapids = 6/10 - Not lol hilarious but not too boring.

Pauly's Mum 3/10 - I was right after Puff...so it was stretched out even further and a bit sloppy. She still sucks a mean cock, though. :up:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-24-2011 09:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
YawN

You just summed up all the Harry Faggot movies in one word.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 07-24-2011 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Pauly's Mum 3/10 - I was right after Puff...so it was stretched out even further and a bit sloppy. She still sucks a mean cock, though. :up:

She did mention that some fat bloke came round and raped her the other day. This also explains what happened to all the cakes in the house.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-25-2011 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rape?
Bitch be payin top shelf, yo.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-26-2011 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transformers 3 = 4/10 - You will indeed thank god when this film is over. A drawn out 7 hour movie featuring nothing but scene after scene of stupid shit that doesn't make sense but somehow looks cool in slo-mo. There were several scenes that I honestly didn't know what was going on but I found I didn't care because it was giant robots killing each other and vaporizing worthless extras.

The Unborn = 4/10 - Really...I mean really fucking hot chick and a really boring, predictable story. Bonus points for having Gary Oldman in it...and the really really fucking hot chick.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-26-2011 10:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cars 2 - 6/10

It was ok...not one of Pixars best though. The first was much better

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 07-27-2011 05:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HP - 8/10
Seven Samurai (Criterion) - 9/10

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-27-2011 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Cars 2 - 6/10

It was ok...not one of Pixars best though. The first was much better

true, but the visuals and setting(s) where superior in this new one.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 07-27-2011 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain America - 6/10
For an American movie about a guy called America, this was a lot less annoyingly American than Iron Man or X-Men. Restrained to the point of being flat and humourless in places, but still great Saturday morning entertainment and the most solid Marvel movie to date.

Obviously there's an Avengers bit at the end - like the warm, wet unfortunateness of a farting competition gone too far - but if you close the window/leave the theatre as soon as it fades to black then it's all good.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-27-2011 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain America 4/10
Did not grab me. Turned it off before the final big scene because i couldn't be bothered anymore. There's some almost nearly funny scenes in the start, that's about the best thing i can say about it.

X Men First Class 8/10
Surprised the hell out of me by actually being rather good for a popcorn film. Certainly the best one of the series (by which i mean the first, 2 and 3 were abortions). Read somewhere that the budget was the smallest of all the films and they wrote and shot the whole thing in under 8 months, which was the smallest amount of time of all the Xmen films. Which is interesting if true.

I think what also helped was no drawn out Wolverine emo shit. God i hate movie wolverine, fuck you Hugh Jackman.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-27-2011 11:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the Logan cameo made First Class awesome.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-27-2011 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Go fuck yourselves.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 07-27-2011 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I think what also helped was no drawn out Wolverine emo shit. God i hate movie wolverine, fuck you Hugh Jackman.

Basically, Hugh Jackass has destroyed the Wolverine character.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-27-2011 04:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Transformers 3 = 4/10 - You will indeed thank god when this film is over. A drawn out 7 hour movie featuring nothing but scene after scene of stupid shit that doesn't make sense but somehow looks cool in slo-mo. There were several scenes that I honestly didn't know what was going on but I found I didn't care because it was giant robots killing each other and vaporizing worthless extras.

So it was EXACTLY like Transformers 1 and 2? Shocking.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.