Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-15-2011 07:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I liked Harry Brown, made me never want to go back to England.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 08-15-2011 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

30 Minutes or Less

Hilarious.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-15-2011 09:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
Harry Brown. 9/10. After the london riots, it brings home just how shit life is on those slum estates.

Yes a brilliant movie as I remember.
I must go get it and view again.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-16-2011 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The folks that have mentioned Harry Brown might want to check out 'The Veteran'. It's very much in the same vein and i disliked it about as much as Harry Brown, so maybe you'd like it to an equal degree.

Brutal Relax (7/10)
Stylish Spanish 15min short about a man who needs to relax.
It's potentially NSFW/WTF/against TOS so won't link to it directly but googling the title will list a lot of places to watch it (scifiworld.es seems to have the best copy).

Stripperland/Your Highness (combined, 3/10)
One of these had lots of boobs and the other one had Natalie Portman's arse. Both of them had really fucking lame jokes and all the charm and warmth of an airport cafe.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-16-2011 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is harry Brown a good representation of reality? It's hard to believe that punks off the street even have the right connections to get a hold of guns and other weapons. I figured, the video with that chav packing a meat cleaver is a bit more of an accurate depiction.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-16-2011 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw Jane Eyre last night at the movies

I thought a girl flick but was impressed.

Look, a literal 'plain Jane' in a great movie script and great film direction.

Funny, I saw the preview and though a ghost/scary movie.

8/10

If you get the chance go and see it.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 08-17-2011 02:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Drive Angry: -9,874,356,611/10

I would rather stare at a clogged toilet in the sleaziest, nastiest taqueria in the filthiest, poorest village in all of Mexico for two hours than watch this movie again. I have no idea what Nicolas Cage was smoking when he agreed to do this film, or how many pounds of dipshit dust he snorted while he was making it. The plot is paper-thin and completely retarded, all of the characters except for William Fitchner's are terrible and dull, and you go from thinking "What the fuck is this guy? A demon? A demon hunter? A drunken fuckwad?" to "Wow, this ending is as predictable as the ass pain you'd get from running backwards nude through a dildo factory".

Not even Amber Heard's short shorts and general hawtness are enough to elevate this film to mere shit. It's godawful and I'm now that much dumber for having watched it.

FUCK YOU, NIC CAGE. FUCK YOU AND DIE.

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 08-17-2011 03:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone see the new Final Destination yet?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-17-2011 03:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That shits been played...

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 08-17-2011 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
is harry Brown a good representation of reality? It's hard to believe that punks off the street even have the right connections to get a hold of guns and other weapons. I figured, the video with that chav packing a meat cleaver is a bit more of an accurate depiction.

I'd say for the most part, yes, it's a good representation. As for the old man 'deathwish' style vigilante played by Michael Caine, lol, no.

PostPosted: 08-17-2011 03:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
That shits been played...

Yes, it is in theaters being played right now in fact.

PostPosted: 08-17-2011 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
is harry Brown a good representation of reality?

no, it's very much exaggerated for effect. gun/drug/organised/sex/vanilla/mint chocolate chip/whatever crime are all available here, but to nowhere near the extent that recent films/tv or curtain-twitching oldsters like drum would have you believe. the chav/cleaver video (despite being real) is also sort of misleading, most kids here don't carry and most of them aren't total fucking morons. we do have problems that need sorting out, but this "have your cake and eat it" action/social commentary crossover genre really doesn't help.

Drive Angry - why the fuck am I even watching this/10
Basically what NS said, had actually blanked it from my mind until now.

Jesus, there's a bit in Drive Angry where Nic Cage is fucking this prostitute in a hotel room during a gunfight and he makes her cum while he blasts them all to hell and it still sucks and he still isn't cool. Nic Cage is the diametric opposite of cool, he's like the acting equivalent of futurepop.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 08-17-2011 06:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
Tsakali wrote:
is harry Brown a good representation of reality?

no, it's very much exaggerated for effect. gun/drug/organised/sex/vanilla/mint chocolate chip/whatever crime are all available here, but to nowhere near the extent that recent films/tv or curtain-twitching oldsters like drum would have you believe. the chav/cleaver video (despite being real) is also sort of misleading, most kids here don't carry and most of them aren't total fucking morons. we do have problems that need sorting out,

You really think a lot of that stuff doesn't go on? Do you even live in a south london estate? No. Now get back under your rock, fucking moron. :olo:

PostPosted: 08-18-2011 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Within one city block and to that extent? No, it doesn't. Harry Brown is pantomime that gets to cash in on both handwringing and bloodlust, it's a page from the Daily Mail in full-motion 3D. South London might be shit enough to get the unimaginative out looting Poundland but it's a long way from South Central LA. Might not stay like that if we carry on fetishising the worst elements of American culture, but right now it's a lot easier to pick up 12 different kinds of low-fat hummus than it is ammunition.

..and no, I haven't lived in Brixton since the 90s. After that I was in Toxteth and Old Swan in Liverpool. I still visit both cities regularly and frankly there are people claiming deprivation and hardship in South London that don't even know they're fucking born.

Edit: Being harsh on the film, which Michael Caine alone makes worth seeing.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 08-18-2011 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
but right now it's a lot easier to pick up 12 different kinds of low-fat hummus than it is ammunition.

Lol, that was pretty funny, I'll give you that.

PostPosted: 08-18-2011 04:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THe ending of the new final destination was pretty cool... didn't see the spoiler coming at all

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-18-2011 11:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Source Code

Not as good as I thought it would gonna be. But still quite enjoyable. 7/10
Link to the script that was way better and had me at high expectations:
http://www.joblo.com/scripts/sourcecode.pdf

While I'm at it, link to a script that is rumored to have been sort of mangled into the new Alien movie by Scott himself:
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/shadow-19
I don't really see what Scott could pull from that script that would be useful for a faithful Alien movie but it would make a great flick on its own.
Who should play the lead, what do you think? I can't think of a young actor around 30 to play that role in these times. It would have been perfect fodder for Willis, Sly or even Arnold. But those days are gone, I guess.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-18-2011 11:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
After that I was in Toxteth and Old Swan in Liverpool.

And you are still alive to post? Bravo sir, BRAVO!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, saw Cowboys and Aliens last night.

We went to one of those cinemas we call Gold Class. You might have 'em too. Licenced* premises where and food/drink is hand delivered to you recliner (electric now I see) lush seating.

The theatres* have around 50 person capacity. You pay like 3 times the price per ticket of course for the priviledge, and the food and beverages are expensive. Personally I don't like eating a meal in the pictures myself.

Pretty good night really. Oh and the movie Cowboys and Aliens.

Great. Well done from all aspects IMO.
Entertaining and worthy of a 8+/10

*Americans and their English spelling :smirk:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 06:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool theater. :up:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wait, are those ashtrays?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-19-2011 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
wait, are those ashtrays?

No, wine coolers :D

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-20-2011 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

swish!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-20-2011 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

While I am sure they have a coat check for your top hat, where is one to keep his walking stick? Do they service monocles if perchance you have a smudge?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-20-2011 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lets hope they don't serve beans there

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-20-2011 11:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Source Code, which I went in to knowing absolutely nothing about, really impressed me. And you can tell it's by the same director as Moon; a close, personal Sci Fi movie with an over-arching theme of respect for human life that it shares with his previous work.
SPOILER ALERT!
However, it could have been made even more bitter-sweet if the Captain had realised he'd stolen a man's life at the end and given it up in an act of martyrdom. More so because the lovely lady would never have known what he had done. Heroics that are performed knowing that no-one will ever know about them make for brilliant stories and explorations of selflessness.

And Suckerpunch? Granted, it's pretty, as are the girls, but I felt dirty after watching it. Lobotomies are an interesting and horrifying concept that should be explored with a great deal more care than Snyder afforded the subject. This came off as exploitative trash.
He should leave the writing to others and continue to wow us with pretty, shiny realisations.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-21-2011 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Saw Jane Eyre last night at the movies
I thought a girl flick but was impressed.
Look, a literal 'plain Jane' in a great movie script and great film direction.

Funny, I saw the preview and though a ghost/scary movie.

8/10

If you get the chance go and see it.

i shall be avoiding this like many plagues, because the 19th is my least favourite century, and charlotte is my least favourite brontë, and costume dramas combining the two are my least favourite films

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-21-2011 06:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Me thinks the seremtan doth protest too much.

Just give it a try seremtan.
This is a safe place, no judgement here, spread your butterfly wings :up:
And if it turns out you actually enjoy it, that doesn't necessarily mean you're gay.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 08-21-2011 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The 19th century was pretty defining in a lot of ways, it might have been a very gay century but it least it wasn't boring. Now the 12th century, there's a pretty dull one. Nothing interesting happened at all in that century.

The Inside Man 7/10

One of those heist movies, reasonably entertaining popcorny stuffs. Nothing special.
It has that black dude that's in a ton of similar movies, you know, the bald one with the serious face. He's usually pretty decent ey.

Last edited by Ryoki on 08-21-2011 07:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08-21-2011 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fire in the Sky

stupid movie when it isn't focused on the abduction, scary when it is. Absolutely idiotic when the movie ends and they make a point about the polygraph.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 08-21-2011 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your minireview makes me just about interested enough to spend the next few minutes looking for a decent torrent, cheers :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-21-2011 12:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Fire in the Sky

stupid movie when it isn't focused on the abduction, scary when it is. Absolutely idiotic when the movie ends and they make a point about the polygraph.

I saw this movie when I was probably 9 or 10. It was absolutely the scariest movie of my childhood. It still has a strange impact on my mind when i think about it. Not sure why my parents let me watch it...

PostPosted: 08-21-2011 01:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Madea Goes to Jail

I thought this was a comedy before I watched it, but only like 10% of the movie is with madea, the rest is some bullshit story that's overplayed with bad actors.
Thankfully the madea parts were so funny that it was worth rolling my eyes through the lulls.

PRAISE THE LORT, PRAISE THE LORT :olo:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-21-2011 06:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Not sure why my parents let me watch it...

They were hoping you'd die from fear so their mistake would be erased.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-21-2011 06:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not very nice.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.