Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        iphone to soon disappear ...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: iphone to soon disappear ...

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 07-15-2010 04:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WHAT WILL YOU DO NOW EH!??!!?

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 07-15-2010 06:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
like anyone really pays attention to U4EA's right column

Excellent point.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-15-2010 08:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apple giving refunds for the phones ?, it can be seen in the store as defective so refusing would have to be against some consumer law ?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-15-2010 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
So when discussing the iPhone, things to do with AT&T and things to do with hardware are fair game. But Android is only a piece of software so any problems related to hardware or carrier are totally unrelated? Kinda seems like we're comparing Apples (ha!) to Oranges at this point. You get applauded for allowing diversity but any negative things at all that come out of it have to be ignored? That's fucking bullshit.

No no no, it's completely different.
The thing is that the iPhone is one device that everyone that owns an iPhone has. With iPhone, it's not just the OS that binds the people, but the hardware as well. So a hardware fault with iPhone affects everyone that owns an iPhone (I know, I know, I'm ignoring the fact that there's different iPhone models but the point should be clear).

If there's a hardware fault with a specific phone that runs Android, it only affects that specific model and it's not something that can be blamed on Android or stretched across all phones running Android.

The problem with the iPhone vs Android debate is that iPhone represents hardware as well as software while Android only represents software.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 04:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:

WHAT WILL YOU DO NOW EH!??!!?

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
bitWISE wrote:

The problem with the iPhone vs Android debate is that iPhone represents hardware as well as software while Android only represents software.

It's sad that you even have to type that out for people to understand.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 09:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tl;dr: all phones have this problem, we had our scientists and engineers confirm it, very few have been returned, phone is the best smartphone according to PC mag, engadget, wired, etc, have a free case to fix the problem.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so all the iphone4's now will required a cover or at least a bumper to resolve this issue.

Apple designer commits suicide in 4...3...2...

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"we love our users"

:olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 10:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
10:41AM Q: I can't get my Bold to drop right now, maybe you can show me how to do it?
Steve: You may not see it in certain areas.

lol

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 10:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hah, if they just put up a picture of the phone with low signal and went "Evidence!" that's a chuckle.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 10:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So it looks like my phone is working perfectly fine and I get a free case. I win.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he's like the polar opposite of gabe newell.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 12:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All those Ph.D.s, scientists, engineers, and anechoic chambers, but they couldn't figure out (over what, four generations of hardware?) that their RSSI algorithm was borked? They didn't find a horribly obvious flaw in the way the antenna/case design could be effected by normal usage?

Yeah, I call bullshit.

By the way, after I read the press conference transcript, I held my Evo with both hands 68 ways to Sunday and I couldn't make it drop a single bar. :olo: Eat shit, Jobs. :olo:

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 12:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

n.
A persistent sense of inadequacy or a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 12:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's a shame google and apple don't.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 12:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big Kahuna Burger wrote:
n.
A persistent sense of inadequacy or a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation.

Troll
n. A Q3W poster that doesn't have an iPhone and yammers non-stop about how awesome the iPhone4 is.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
All those Ph.D.s, scientists, engineers, and anechoic chambers, but they couldn't figure out (over what, four generations of hardware?) that their RSSI algorithm was borked? They didn't find a horribly obvious flaw in the way the antenna/case design could be effected by normal usage?

Yea, exactly. Pretty sure it was a deliberate intent to mislead. The 20 page Anandtech article was brilliant in explaining how this all works too.

Tsakali wrote:
HeadExplodeBig.gif

Hehe xD

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 03:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
Big Kahuna Burger wrote:
n.

Troll
n. A Q3W poster that doesn't have an iPhone and yammers non-stop about how awesome the iPhone4 is.

yeah but to be fair it seems like he is doing an awesome job at it.

its pretty obvious that iphone4 crushed the EVO even with the antenna problem. 3million sold. people don't give a shit if they can't hold it a certain way or have to use a case. I can't use it under water and it doesn't work very well if I hold the wrong side of the phone to my face either. ohno.

I've never seen so much drama over a phone. zzz

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big Kahuna Burger wrote:
it's a shame...

idiot

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 04:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you sound upset

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 04:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fanboi

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 05:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

yeah but to be fair it seems like he is doing an awesome job at it.

its pretty obvious that iphone4 crushed the EVO even with the antenna problem. 3million sold. people don't give a shit if they can't hold it a certain way or have to use a case. I can't use it under water and it doesn't work very well if I hold the wrong side of the phone to my face either. ohno.

I've never seen so much drama over a phone. zzz

Oh to be sure, he's done a masterful job. If Apple's numbers from that press conference are correct, then yes it's a massively overblown storm in a teacup. But, my issue has always been with the blind fanoyism that Apple consumers exhibit. The youtube vid I posted is a pretty good example, although of course it's exaggerated.
I just can't believe that Apple, a company with what I consider an impressive technical record, would not catch a problem like this. That and their explanation of the problem seems more than a bit...shaky.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 08:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

even without the case i've not dropped a call yet, the issue just doesn't effect me. the phones awesome. i watched two films on it and played angry birds for an hour yesterday, avatar and transformers 2 and it still had 60% battery left.

maps is a life saver in a city you don't know, the screen is outstanding, the speed is very, very fast and the HD video is great for a phone.

also, lol at blind fanoyism. I don't think anyone here ordered one without checking the glowing reviews (maybe zeros). you mac haters are far worse.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 10:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How is an iPhone a Mac, Doombrain?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 10:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

christ mazda, you really are pathetic

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 07-17-2010 02:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am posting this from my new iPhone 4, it's amaz

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 07-17-2010 02:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ing

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 07-17-2010 04:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
even without the case i've not dropped a call yet, the issue just doesn't effect me. the phones awesome. i watched two films on it and played angry birds for an hour yesterday, avatar and transformers 2 and it still had 60% battery left.

maps is a life saver in a city you don't know, the screen is outstanding, the speed is very, very fast and the HD video is great for a phone.

also, lol at blind fanoyism. I don't think anyone here ordered one without checking the glowing reviews (maybe zeros). you mac haters are far worse.

So when I tell you I've not got a separated screen or shite battery life...

I don't imagine that any of the people on here just blindly grabbed the iPhone4, this crowd tends to be a bit smarter than the public at large. But you seriously think mac haters (not that I am one) are worse than iFanbois? Really?

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 07-17-2010 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The fact is, all iPhone 4's have the antenna issue, so everyone is affected. Screen separation on the Evo? not a big issue because it affected very few.

That's the difference.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-17-2010 05:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

they can be, hating for no other reason than it's made by apple.

posting the batt and screen links, well no product's perfect.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-17-2010 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
The fact is, all iPhone 4's have the antenna issue, so everyone is affected. Screen separation on the Evo? not a big issue because it affected very few.

That's the difference.

that's a stupid statement.

a) it's not a fault it's a design issue so there's no problem in build quality.
b) no one i know uses a smartphone without a case. like it or not using a case resolves the issue.

Fact is it's a great phone.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.