Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Android Apps

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Android Apps

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 03:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anything really worth getting? I grabbed a weather app already and a sports score one... What else?

Oh, right, I picked up a Milestone the other day...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 04:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Barcode Scanner
Pandora of course.
Launcher Pro or ADW launcher (I oddly prefer adw)
Ringdroid
Retro Camera (is actually really neat)
Fancy Widget (if you can get ahold of the apk)
Skyfires actually really good on android
Alchemy is fun
Barnacle Wifi Tether (assuming you have root)

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 04:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have asked to describe what their purpose is as well...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 06:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a musician, so I have one called tapeMachine which allows adjustable mic-gain, recording of .wav, .flac and I think .ogg (who the fuck uses .ogg?), as well as very basic editing capabilities. Works great for me to jog down ideas on acoustic/electric guitar, but it also works great for recording conversations, meetings, or just any sound, really.

I also have an app called gStrings for tuning my guitars... can either play pure-tone sine waves, or can analyze a plucked string to indicate if you're in tune or not.

Other than that... Google Skymaps is fun, and I just have a few games to pass the time and some "productivity" apps like Adobe Reader, etc. I have a Milestone too, it's a pretty neat phone, I'm liking it so far. Might wanna look at getting a different media player, the default one seems to skip and burp a lot.

I've also heard there are apps to OC the CPU and monitor the CPU temperature too. *shrug*

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-launcher pro - customize homepages in a big way , also very fast/smooth operation too.
-switch pro widget - awesome collection of neatly set up controls such as 3g/4g/gps/bt/wifi on/off screen lock, brightness etc.
-beautiful widgets - mainly customizable weather/ clock app

*no root required for any of these

here is mine

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 07:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Barcode Scanner (Scans barcodes, Duh)
Pandora of course. (Music duh)
Launcher Pro or ADW launcher (I oddly prefer adw) (Launcher replacements)
Ringdroid (Ringtone maker, thats not shitty)
Retro Camera (is actually really neat) (Camera app, takes retro pictures)
Fancy Widget (if you can get ahold of the apk) (HTC style clock)
Skyfires actually really good on android (Browser)
Alchemy is fun (Game)
Barnacle Wifi Tether (assuming you have root)(Tethering)

There quoted myself and edited

Theres my homescreen.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 07:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gay.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 07:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
Fancy Widget (if you can get ahold of the apk) (HTC style clock)

Theres my homescreen.

:tu Nice, thanks you I miss this from my HTC

ShopSavy - scan bar codes and find the best prices online or in retail stores. It even goes as far as giving you the store address so you can select and navigate to it. you can also create wish lists to share later. Also works as a standard bar code scanner for links and stuff.

Amazon - Same as above, but gives you amazon.com prices and you can scan and purchase right from the app.

Light Racer 3d - A 3d tron type racer where you need to avoid the trails of your opponent. Not for everyone but I enjoy it whilst on the crapper.

Angry Bird - Best iPhone app ported to Droid Currently in beta mode only. Damn game is totally addicting and fun

Last edited by Giraffe }{unter on 09-13-2010 07:19 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 07:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

addicting ey.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my favourite app is Phone, which allows you to speak to other people who also have Phone installed, so long as you have their number

it's pretty cool :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 09:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Walk :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My favorite feature of my computer is the typewriter feature that allows me to type letters and write things, why they added the Internet and all the rest of these apps is beyond me.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 09:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah and why'd they have to make the typewriter so big and add fans and shit?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 09-18-2010 01:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get a lot of use out of Foodroid

which is basically a wifi remote control for foobar2000. It's super smashing.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 09-18-2010 05:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now if only they'd make an open source version of Foobar :|

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 09-18-2010 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm genuinely surprised it's not, how odd.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 09-18-2010 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

apps:
voicememo - does what it says on the tin.
text edit - does what it says on the tin.
mind map memo - little mind map app.
aldiko free/premium - ebook reader.
androvio - control a rovio from your phone.
multisms - send sms messages to groups of people. you might have a newer phone that doesn't need this, but it's a missing feature on my crappy htc magic.
seesmic - tells you what/when people have twat on twitter.
tea timer - a basic timer.

games:
jewels - similar but simpler bejewelled.
robo defence - tower defence game.
armored strike - worms clone.
projectinf beta - multiplayer topdown shooter.
cestos - multiplayer billiards type thing.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-19-2010 11:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
addicting ey.

Not really. The physics are wonky, half the image falls off the screen if you don't have WVGA resolutions and the gameplay is rather shallow and just a repetition of what's been done a 100 times before. I really don't see why everyone is swooning all over this game. It's mediocre at best.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-20-2010 10:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
MKJ wrote:
addicting ey.

Not really. The physics are wonky, half the image falls off the screen if you don't have WVGA resolutions and the gameplay is rather shallow and just a repetition of what's been done a 100 times before. I really don't see why everyone is swooning all over this game. It's mediocre at best.

i was pointing out teh grammar fail..

anyways. for the socialmedias, Purr. combines twitter with all them wacky supplementaries like foursquare.
http://purring.nl/

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 09-20-2010 03:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
[
i was pointing out teh grammar fail..

Pointing out the grammar fail FAIL!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-20-2010 10:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that would be spelling AND intentional :dork:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 12:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

here is a boot animation I just made. the animation loops seamlessly...
it's meant for the evo, but if you know how to edit the desc.txt file you can set the resolution to anything you want.

note: you need to be rooted to install this.

low quality screen capture:

low quality flash animation sample here:
http://www.superslickstuff.com/androidFlag.html

the zip file :
http://www.superslickstuff.com/bootanimation.zip

enjoy.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm getting a free Samsung Galaxy S2 upgrade next week. Never had android before. Can I put my tomtom navigator from my windows phone onto it, or is there another version of tomtom that works with android? I also heard google navigation is better, true or false?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably true. I wouldn't bother trying to get anything Windows related to run on Android, just search for the Android equivalent. There are shit-tons of great apps for Android and if you search long enough, a lot of them are free as well. Expect to pay about $1 to $3 for most other apps. Some retards out there charge more but I ain't havin' it...

Also, some phone companies have their own navigation system built right into the phone. My motorola has an entirely separate front-end to the phone that activates when you get into your car for easy, one-touch operation of phone calls, GPS, etc.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I think there's a built in sat nav with the one I'm getting, either google navigation or co pilot. I'm hoping to get it next week, but demand is higher than supply at the moment.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 04:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
Yeah, I think there's a built in sat nav with the one I'm getting, either google navigation or co pilot. I'm hoping to get it next week, but demand is higher than supply at the moment.

Route 66 uses the TomTom maps or something, might be worth looking at.

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 06-03-2011 08:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
here is a boot animation I just made. the animation loops seamlessly...
it's meant for the evo, but if you know how to edit the desc.txt file you can set the resolution to anything you want.

enjoy.

That's sexy... :up:

I have a few new favorite apps.

Mobile Noter - Syncs over WiFi or Cloud with your Microsoft oneNote

LogMeIn Ignition $29.99 Flawlessly runs logmein on my Thunderbolt, Incredible2, and Xoom tablet. It was well worth the cash after countless frustration with other RDP clients.

XBMC remote - to control my XBMCs

RemoteDroid - Java based app on a PC turns your droid into a remote keyoard and touchpad

WiFi Analyzer - Great for working out Wifi channel issues whrn troubleshooting without my computer

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:

You're getting an awesome phone, Drummeh, and google nav will be all you need. Enjoy that screen as it's the best out there.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
Enjoy that screen as it's the best out there.

This too... those Samsungs have just great screens.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
DRuM wrote:

You're getting an awesome phone, Drummeh, and google nav will be all you need. Enjoy that screen as it's the best out there.

Cool, I'm looking forward to checking out google nav, juggsy. Yeah, I haven't been interested in phones for ages, but I'm pretty excited about this one :) :up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool. My phone dudes gave me the samsung galaxy S a short while back, which imo is pretty spectacular. Been a long time since i've been amazed at what my phone can do. At the shop the dude said for a small amount of moar moneys i could have the S2, but he sold 4 of em the week before and 2 came back completely dead and had to be sent back to the factory because they couldn't be repaired at the shop. So i thought nah let's not do that then.

But i'm sure they ironed out the bugs by now, enjoy your new plastic piece of win* :up:

*my only complaint about the phone really - this goes for the S2 as well methinks - is that it's entirely plasticy and feels too light in your hand...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's correct. HTC makes a more solid product. not to mention that they support their phones very well with updates etc, unlike samsung, and htc also just made an announment that all their new releases will be unlocked by design...it's a beautiful match to google's android (open source) philosophies :up: there just might be hope for the future of humanity after all :cool:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 03:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HTC are sending me a free Desire S by the way. I actually already bought one about a week ago because my old original Desire was having problems, but I received a phone call from them the other day and they're sending me another brand new Desire S to apologise. Oh and I got my money back on the original Desire I bought too :olo:

I'll probably just sell it when it arrives. Jelus?

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-04-2011 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Cool. My phone dudes gave me the samsung galaxy S a short while back, which imo is pretty spectacular. Been a long time since i've been amazed at what my phone can do. At the shop the dude said for a small amount of moar moneys i could have the S2, but he sold 4 of em the week before and 2 came back completely dead and had to be sent back to the factory because they couldn't be repaired at the shop. So i thought nah let's not do that then.

But i'm sure they ironed out the bugs by now, enjoy your new plastic piece of win* :up:

*my only complaint about the phone really - this goes for the S2 as well methinks - is that it's entirely plasticy and feels too light in your hand...

Yes, my g/f has the S and it's pretty plasticy feeling but she's okay with it. I'm hoping the S2 doesn't feel as cheap.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.