Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        QuakeCon is go

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: QuakeCon is go

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 08:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You goin?

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Isn't that caligirl?

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

certainly looks like her.

anyone know if/where the keynote's being streamed?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08 ... t-tonight/

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 12:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Win

I want to go back next year...10 years after Turb and I went...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 12:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 12:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's been ten years since the l33t license plate? Holy shit...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 12:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah man...crazy!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm pissed that i was unable to go to quake con when it was "the thing" back in 2000-2004.

i shoulda tagged along with Ax and Inolen...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 12:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it's something I'll always regret, considering it's only a 3.5 hour drive for me...

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, Rage was designed for a controller and is coming to the iPhone. My expectations are dwindling.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 03:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My expectations just skyrocketed!!!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

more phone crap, no doom 4 :/

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
http://kotaku.com/5611523/id-unleashes-rage-on-the-iphone

:eek:

incredible, but it makes me wonder: why weren't any of id's games (Doom 3, Quake 3, Quake 4) ported to the Wii? Carmack once claimed it was impossible from a hardware perspective, but the only reason I can think of is that the Wii would lack programmable shader logic while the iPhone might have that. Weird...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Yeah, it's something I'll always regret, considering it's only a 3.5 hour drive for me...

25 hours from here...

Wasnt it something silly like 3 days for AX?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s ... 72&t=h&z=4

zewulf
zewulf
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I have the time this weekend, I may just hop over to see what all the fuss is about :p

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you guys are lucky :( im gonna try go next year... long way from new zealand tho :/

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last edited by obsidian on 08-13-2010 11:01 AM, edited 1 time in total.

berserker
berserker
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 10:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been to '08 and '09 but sadly had to work this year. It's a great experience watching the Pro CTF and Duel finals Saturday night on the 2 giant monitors. Feeling the roar of the crowd when a nice rail shot is made, or a flag captured. It's nice to watch Quake being played at such a high skill level.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 10:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r3t wrote:
bitWISE wrote:
http://kotaku.com/5611523/id-unleashes-rage-on-the-iphone

:eek:

incredible, but it makes me wonder: why weren't any of id's games (Doom 3, Quake 3, Quake 4) ported to the Wii? Carmack once claimed it was impossible from a hardware perspective, but the only reason I can think of is that the Wii would lack programmable shader logic while the iPhone might have that. Weird...

It's not like Quake 3 uses hardware supported pixel or vertex shaders. I think id Software doesn't have the capacity to go for a Wii project. Quake 3 or Doom 3 on Wii isn't a guaranteed sale. I'm wondering if Carmack thinks an Android version would be worth it. I mean, a 1GHz snapdragon CPU rivals iPhone 4, no?

edit:
hmm, I've listened to the first 50 mins of his keynote. He talks about how awesome the Apple appstore is because there's no limits on how large software can be and he complains that "javabrew" has a 1.5mb sizelimit on apps offered through telecom providers' stores. He says nothing about the Android market, which confuses me. That must be a big deal to him, right? I mean, that's offers the same as the appstore does?

Last edited by Eraser on 08-13-2010 12:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 11:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, people have been saying that id Software games are more like tech demos for their engines so they could license them to others.

Not any more so: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... sda-titles

I'm afraid that this means that id Software's history of releasing game engine code to the public domain has ended right there.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-12-2010 11:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Berserker wrote:
I've been to '08 and '09 but sadly had to work this year. It's a great experience watching the Pro CTF and Duel finals Saturday night on the 2 giant monitors. Feeling the roar of the crowd when a nice rail shot is made, or a flag captured. It's nice to watch Quake being played at such a high skill level.

man that sounds wicked!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-13-2010 01:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Hmm, people have been saying that id Software games are more like tech demos for their engines so they could license them to others.

Not any more so: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... sda-titles

I'm afraid that this means that id Software's history of releasing game engine code to the public domain has ended right there.

Not great news to be hones...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-13-2010 01:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rofl, Carmack's wife bought him a Tesla Roadster for his birthday. Awesome wife.

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 08-13-2010 07:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's definately cg :)

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 08-13-2010 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow.... (after watching the demo)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-13-2010 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I don't think so. They typically release the game engine code at the end-of-life of the engine so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to release the id Tech 5 code when they eventually have id Tech 6 around the corner. They did the same with id Tech 3 when id Tech 4 was introduced. Just because they are limiting engine licensing to Bethesda published games doesn't mean they can't release the source code when they are done with it.

They are still "licensing" their engines, you just have to sign a contract to have Bethesda publish your game. I guess it's a good package deal if you are an unattached game development studio, but not good if you are already part of Activision or Ubisoft, etc. (though unlikely that anyone already under contract with those publishers would be able to license the engine from id Software anyway).

Eraser wrote:
rofl, Carmack's wife bought him a Tesla Roadster for his birthday. Awesome wife.

Sweet! It's probably mostly his money anyway. I wonder if he's going to tinker with it like he did with his Ferrari. Maybe borrow a few things from Armadillo Aerospace. :paranoid:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-13-2010 09:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turbanator wrote:
wow.... (after watching the demo)

We need to talk fuck stick >:E

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 08-14-2010 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well well, Rapha dethroned.

The most epic grand final ever. Hub Aero was absolutely incredible, really fast all the way and some unbelievable rails. Cooller was down a lot of frags and brought it back to 6-6.

He'd already won two maps and was now at championship point and 7-6 would have given him the title, but somehow, Cypher, in the second lot of overtime, turned it around and won it by a massive margin taking it to the 5th and final map which Cooller started off well in with the first frag, but eventually lost. So unlucky. I was rooting for him, yet he still has never won a quakecon in over 10 years of playing quake :(

And battleforge (which Cooller ragequit on less than half way through) is a bit shit, hopefully they'll drop it next year.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-15-2010 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:

And battleforge (which Cooller ragequit on less than half way through) is a bit shit, hopefully they'll drop it next year.

This.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-15-2010 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
why the smeg does steam have a week long quakecon sale, yet we can't play quake live on steam? /huff

edit: tbh if i could hop in and out of quake games via my steam friends list, i'd probably actually play it

:up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-16-2010 05:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
DRuM wrote:

This.

have you even dueled on it more than once or twice and learned the layout? it's not shit but does need to be re-worked some. just because cooller is shit at the map (probably played it a handful of times prior) doesn't make the map shit. if czm was still playing w/practice, he would have made everyone look silly on hub, like he had for the previous decade.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-16-2010 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
xer0s wrote:

25 hours from here...

Wasnt it something silly like 3 days for AX?

5 day's to get to Quakecon .. Yellowknife to Texas
Wish you could have come with us AmoodyFreak.
If i ever find myself across the ocean with time to spare i will go again in a minute.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-16-2010 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think we should have a Q3W meet up next year. I'm trying to get turn to go back and I think I will defiantly be up for it :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.